Final Fantasy

Brandon Strader

Throwing my two cents in about FFXII.

I tried like 5 times to get into the game over the course of a few years, getting up to just past Nalbina before giving up and I just last year beat the game in it's entirety. So it was hard to get into but once I did I actually enjoyed it.

Vaan is actually my favorite character in the game. Can't STAND Basch (mostly due to his stupid outfit and hair). Penelo is p useless too.

The only gripe I have with this game, really is that the story takes a nosedive after you confront Cid the first time. After that, it feels like the characters have no idea why they are doing what they're doing.

I personally felt that defying the Occurians was a bad move.

I like how fleshed out the 'encyclopedia' entries are. They really put a lot of thought into the world. Also the music is brilliant. Sakimoto. :3

Edited by ocre

The whole point of the plot was that the characters in FFXII were just players in a history bound to repeat itself over and over. One of the Occurians saw the endless cycle, got bored and helped the Arcadians, for which he was branded a heretic by the other Occurians who then essentially sent Ashe and crew on a "hit". The party then decides that it's bullshit that a group of "gods" determines the balance of power in the world and wants to give that power to man.

For a Matsuno-developed title, it's still very Final Fantasy.

Also fun fact: Vaan was never supposed to exist as Bascch was to be the actual main protagonist as per Matsuno's design.

The whole point of the plot was that the characters in FFXII were just players in a history bound to repeat itself over and over. One of the Occurians saw the endless cycle, got bored and helped the Arcadians, for which he was branded a heretic by the other Occurians who then essentially sent Ashe and crew on a "hit". The party then decides that it's bullshit that a group of "gods" determines the balance of power in the world and wants to give that power to man.

For a Matsuno-developed title, it's still very Final Fantasy.

And that totally would have been fine if that was its own world, and NOT IVALICE, which already has its own history, religions, and conflicts that were way more interesting to look at before they just fucking shoehorned shit like the Occurians into there.

I mean really, what's the whole fucking point of Tactics etc. if it turned out that St. Ajora, the corrupt church, the military powers, and all those weren't the REAL bad-guys, it was actually a bunch of weirdo alien things pulling the strings the whole time.

It's... stupid.

And that totally would have been fine if that was its own world, and NOT IVALICE, which already has its own history, religions, and conflicts that were way more interesting to look at before they just fucking shoehorned shit like the Occurians into there.

I mean really, what's the whole fucking point of Tactics etc. if it turned out that St. Ajora, the corrupt church, the military powers, and all those weren't the REAL bad-guys, it was actually a bunch of weirdo alien things pulling the strings the whole time.

It's... stupid.

Ivalice was Matsuno's baby, and FFXII takes place way the hell before FFTactics.

You're also aware of the Lucavi in FFT, right? Those are the same espers that tried to rebel against their creators(the occurians) before the events of FFXII. They were the ones pulling the strings in FFT.

It was actually a bunch of weirdo alien things pulling the strings the whole time.

I like how Tifa's art next to Nomura's works of other characters really shows just how plain and awful of a design she has.

She is the most boring of all characters design wise. All she has going for her are her huge tits.

tifa has the best character design in the whole game because it isn't absolutely ridiculous

the only other characters with clothing that aren't batshit insane are cloud and zidane, maaaybe tidus

I'm going through all the FF characters in my head right now and it's pretty damn hard to think of any that wear normal clothing.

edit: Actually on second thought I guess there are a decent number of characters who wear clothes that at least work in context, if not something you'd see walking down the street.

Edited by Scufo

tifa has the best character design in the whole game because it isn't absolutely ridiculous

the only other characters with clothing that aren't batshit insane are cloud and zidane, maaaybe tidus

Uh hello, Irvine? Actually a lot of the clothes in FF8 are fairly regular if you ignore some of the ridiculous hairdos and large coats.

Batshit insane clothing never stopped anyone from liking Gilgamesh...

To be honest, though, I'm pretty sure Amarant has one of my favorite character designs; minimalism works here. His unexplained white skin aside, he might have the best chance of blending into a crowd.

You gotta be kidding.

As much as I hate the character, you have to at least give credit to Aerith having a realistic, normal looking outfit that actually looks aesthetically appealing to the eye.

Tifa wears barely anything and Nomora's drawing of her for Dissidia show's that she has nothing to her design except for her gigantic tits.

try ff7 cid.
Uh hello, Irvine? Actually a lot of the clothes in FF8 are fairly regular if you ignore some of the ridiculous hairdos and large coats.
As much as I hate the character, you have to at least give credit to Aerith having a realistic, normal looking outfit that actually looks aesthetically appealing to the eye.

none of these characters are in dissidia you morons

I'll respond to Malaki's post later, but I just want to say that by and large, I am always disappointed at how fucking ridiculous they make the Warrior of Light's costume look in both the official artwork, and in the games themselves.

All of those horns and spikes going every which way is in my eyes, pretty stupid.

But then again the same can be said for just about ALL of Amano's art. That and everyone looking like a drowned corpse.

Warrior of Light has a new costume in Dissidia 2 that makes him look like a Fighter from FF1.

I squeaked like a fangirl when I saw that. It'll be nice to have him the way I remember him growing up. Not that I have a problem with the way Warrior of Light looks, I just have a hard time associating him with the first Final Fantasy.

Some of the other alt costumes that people are getting just made me die a little inside. It looks great as Amano art, but doesn't translate well into the game.

And ridiculous boobs aside, I like Tifa's design. It's simple, yes, but I don't think every design has to be over the top, like with Aeris as someone pointed out. Minimal, but it's cute. It works. Although one of my favorite female character designs is probably Yuna. It's not minimal, but it's not over the top. It's a healthy balance, imo. Unlike Miss MOAR BELTS Lulu... ugh.

I'll respond to Malaki's post later, but I just want to say that by and large, I am always disappointed at how fucking ridiculous they make the Warrior of Light's costume look in both the official artwork, and in the games themselves.

All of those horns and spikes going every which way is in my eyes, pretty stupid.

But then again the same can be said for just about ALL of Amano's art. That and everyone looking like a drowned corpse.

And aside from Cecil, he's the only one that wears something close to functional, protective armor.