Final Fantasy

Brandon Strader

People are saying it might not necessarily be FF-related though. It could be another venture like they had with Fantasy Earth. We'll see, I guess. I know I nearly lost my shit when I read the headline earlier this morning though.

FFXIV is about to go through some big changes starting in June, though. New battle system mechanics, a job specialization system to work alongside the armory system, grand companies finally being introduced(although not too much info on player companies just yet), a "materia" crafting system to go along with the current crafting system(in addition to other changes to the crafting), and a few other things.

Hopefully, this thing'll be in much better shape by its 1 year anniversary. At least enough to get word on a PS3 release.

I have to say Final Fantasy Type-Zero looks kind of cool. The game is supposed to play something like Crisis Core and the cutscenes feature blood and gore. The story is about some kind of war between four nations
I'm excited.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason, I felt heavy FFVI vibes throughout that video.

• 1 year later...

http://www.vgleaks.com/final-fantasy-xv-will-be-exclusive-on-ps4/

If this is true I'm going to be really disappointed. Not that Versus XIII is becoming FF15, but that it will be a PS4 exclusive.

I thought I was done with the console race... well, I AM done! So if this isn't on PS3, then I won't get it, I'll boycott any future Squeenix products.

Entitled hissy fit concluded.

That's false. Square Enix hasn't halted PS3 development on Versus XIII; they only started actual production around 2 years ago. Obviously whoever wrote that got their signals crossed.

Yes, I'm aware Versus was announced in 2006, but in reality they weren't fully working on it until 2 years ago, the time that article claims they stopped working on it.

In addition, they've also said that Versus XIII was not renamed to Final Fantasy XV.

Also, on a personal note, I had never heard of that site until you just linked it there. I wouldn't trust it for something as big as this, but that's just me. Believe it if you so desire.

"Square-Enix renamed Versus to FF15 in the middle of this process. Sony’s studios are helping SE with FF15 assets among other tasks."

A person on The Final Fantasy Union Podcast is adamant that this is what is going to happen. We'll see, I suppose. I personally would like a clean-slate game for FFXV. Something totally unrelated to all the other games that have been made. That said, I don't think FFXIII was a bad game. They just focused too much on graphics is the only thing.

If anything, it being released as a PS4 exclusive would actually get people to buy the thing. I'm honestly worried about the attach rate of next-gen consoles, but that's tangential to this discussion. If they handle Versus-or rather FFXV hereby rumored as they handled Type-0, i.e. pretty much get rid of anything that would connect it to the FFXIII series, then I don't really see the problem if it DID end up being the next numbered title.

It had just better be amazing. As much as I love the FFXIII series, it DID have big issues and sales/public opinion weren't great for it either. FFXIV just shat the bed. Whatever comes next is going to really make or break it for the series.

If anything, it being released as a PS4 exclusive would actually get people to buy the thing. I'm honestly worried about the attach rate of next-gen consoles

This is my exact feeling... The announcement of FF13 was REALLY early on in the PS3's life, and I got a PS3 expecting to play Versus 13, though I gotta be honest I got FF13 on the Xbox360 and waited a good while before really adopting the ps3... mostly for Heavy Rain and Uncharted. :tomatoface: It's a strong enough system on its own, but still, I remember the appeal of the PS3 all along being FF13 series (3 games, nova crystalis whatever.) I honestly feel betrayed, and I am not going to buy a PS4 just for them to sit on a game and be like "oh yeah it's a PS5 exclusive now."

I've been playing the remake of IV on PSP recently and it really is an awesome game.

So far XII actually isn't too bad, either. I feel like I'm playing a smoother, single player Final Fantasy XI which isn't exactly a bad thing to me, since I used to play it back in the day. I like the customization system too. It also looks fantastic for a PS2 game. I'm not that far yet so no comments on the story.

what are you playing XII on? because if there's anywhere other than ps2 that i can play it i am IN.

Edited by The Derrit

what are you playing XII on? because if there's anywhere other than ps2 that i can play it i am IN.

The only other place you can play it right now is a PS2 emulator (which looks great, btw). My Phenom II X4 965 seems to do alright at stock clock speeds, some minor slowdowns, haven't seen hastenings(quickenings?)/summons, though.

I shall have to try this now that I've upgraded my comp to barely modern standard.

I really do love FF12. I maintain that it is the best large-scale translation/localization in all of gaming.

i didn't get very far through it before the ps2 i was using disappeared to my brother's college, but i do remember being very impressed by the dialogue.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=262357

You can pull ps2 saves off your ps3 if you have a flash drive (sounds like there's no need, but might as well post this). It's just you have to select each individual save, can't just grab the whole memory card. I used this to pull our 200 hour PS2 save data and use it with the emulator.

By the way, why are you stopping at 720; are you playing it windowed? Personally, I'm one of those who goes to the resolution and sets it to the max (in my current case, 1080). The settings do take some work initially, but once you get the basics down, you can usually just check their website if you run into issues.

random screenshot, not that great of angle: http://imageshack.us/a/img546/3857/gsdx20130321100439.png