Final Fantasy

Brandon Strader

I would say they have gotten better. But I mean when you're working from a source that is basically polygons it would be HARD to make it worse.

And Cloud is effeminate? He IS incredibly emo. But... what do you want, an Americanized version? Don't forget what region this is coming from! You should be happy he hasn't been made a chibi cloud by now.

2182492-150px_cloud_strife_field_model.jpg vs Final-Fantasy-Dissidia-012-Game-Character-Official-Artwork-Render-Cloud-Strife-Amano-Design.jpg

I'd buy a FFVIII port with updated graphics, assuming they were significantly better and it was priced appropriately (ie, $20ish instead of $60). I loved the hell out of FFVIII, but it hasn't aged particularly well (though not nearly as badly as FFVII, at least).

wait a sec, so youre saying you'd only buy what essentially amounts to a ground-up new game

and a bigass game at that

for less than ground-up (non-indy) new game standard cost

aren't we being just a bit too demanding here?

not seeing it

You realize that Cloud's not even in that picture?

Cloud's never been a super buff lantern-jawed manly man, and not every project involving him has been androgynous or effeminate, but it's not hard to argue that he's gotten more so as time goes on.

Let's have a look at the various Clouds:

FFVII Cloud (1997)

Final Fantasy Tactics portrait and sprite (1998 )

Kingdom Hearts Cloud (2002)

Advent Children Cloud (2005)

Crisis Core Cloud (2007)

Dissidia Cloud (2009)

Honestly, what annoys me more with his appearances post-FFVII is that everyone seems to forget that Cloud got over his mopey emo angsty phase. He regresses to that every time he shows up again.

wait a sec, so youre saying you'd only buy what essentially amounts to a ground-up new game

and a bigass game at that

for less than ground-up (non-indy) new game standard cost

aren't we being just a bit too demanding here?

...no? Maybe you're conflating what I said and what Sixto said. I said I'd buy an HD remake of FFVIII as long as a) it actually looked good, and B) they didn't try to charge full price for a remake of a 15 year old game. Sixto said he'd buy a new version of FFVII as long as it wasn't "just" an HD remake.

Either way, I'm not "demanding" anything, I'm just saying what I'm willing to pay for. I'm not willing to pay new-game price for a 15 year old game with better graphics, and I'm not going to pay any price for a rerelease that doesn't significantly improve the graphics. The former's not worth it to me, and the latter I'd just go replay the original.

If that means that it's not worth Square Enix's time to make, then... well, okay. I can understand that.

Edited by Native Jovian

You realize that Cloud's not even in that picture?

Cloud's never been a super buff lantern-jawed manly man, and not every project involving him has been androgynous or effeminate, but it's not hard to argue that he's gotten more so as time goes on.

Let's have a look at the various Clouds:

FFVII Cloud (1997)

Final Fantasy Tactics portrait and sprite (1998 )

Kingdom Hearts Cloud (2002)

Advent Children Cloud (2005)

Crisis Core Cloud (2007)

Dissidia Cloud (2009)

Your last 2 links don't EVEN WORK!!!!!! And as a result you prove NO point! All the working cloud links look awesome.

...no? Maybe you're conflating what I said and what Sixto said. I said I'd buy an HD remake of FFVIII as long as a) it actually looked good, and B) they didn't try to charge full price for a remake of a 15 year old game. Sixto said he'd buy a new version of FFVII as long as it wasn't "just" an HD remake.

Either way, I'm not "demanding" anything, I'm just saying what I'm willing to pay for. I'm not willing to pay new-game price for a 15 year old game with better graphics, and I'm not going to pay any price for a rerelease that doesn't significantly improve the graphics. The former's not worth it to me, and the latter I'd just go replay the original.

If that means that it's not worth Square Enix's time to make, then... well, okay. I can understand that.

oooh i see

The Derrit, if you can't tell which one of those group shots look interesting, and which one looks boring, then there might be a problem with your merit-detectors.

I would say they have gotten better. But I mean when you're working from a source that is basically polygons it would be HARD to make it worse.

The 3D models, especially of the sprite characters and the PS1-era characters, have not improved upon the original iconic designs very much. While there isn't as much a change for characters like Squall, because he was originally designed realistically, but the more stylized characters have suffered under the constant slide of SE's art department's quest for complete generic-ness. You can tell what type of character Barret is in the promo art. In the CG stuff, you can like, uh, guess he's angry, and likes to wear really fruity mesh shirts. There's no hard edge among the whole group - and Barret and Cid are there!

The chibi designs of FFIV ds more or less removed any semblance of seriousness FF4's plot warranted, and the Dissidia redesigns of FF5 and FF6 similarly made everything look way too much like Amano's character sketches, which I have always maintained were inferior to the actual in-game sprite-work of said characters (his monster work though is top-notch).

Edited by EC2151

• 2 weeks later...

So not sure if any of you have heard of it before. This is the third year(AFAIK) of the charity drive Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta. Anyone is welcome to participate, pledge to the charity drive, or simply observe. All proceeds go towards Childs Play.

Participants will receive job assignments from a twitter bot, and only be allowed to use those jobs for the entirety of the run.(They must also have one of each of the assigned jobs at a time. So while you may be allowed to use 4 knights if you get that as your wind job, once you get your water job, you'll have to have at least one of it too, like 3 knights and a berserker or whichever you get there)

Participants are also given the option of adding extra challenge to their run.

Random will assign a job from any of the available crystals not just the current one you picked up(No duplicates though)

Team 750 will only give you jobs that you can break rods with(Mainly mages)

Team no 750 will only give you jobs that you can't break rods with.

Natural will force each character to use the job associated with their crystal. So Bartz would only be able to use Black Mage if thats what you get assigned for wind. No one else can, nor can bartz ever switch from black mage.

And the ever favorite BERSERKERRISK mode. People with berserker risk on have increased chance to get one of their jobs overriden by the berserker class.(Maximum of 3 since they are unavailable until you get water) Every $10 donated to the charity adds another berserker to the pool.

It doesn't start for another 16 days, but I'm posting bout it now cause if you want to take part in berserker risk, you have to register now. It can't be after the event has started. The participant will also get a special badge by their entry if they manage to show proof of an omega or shinryu victory.

Last year I did a random run and ended up with a Black Mage, Red Mage, Geomancer, and Ranger, and managed to beat Exdeath.(But couldn't find a good way to tackle Shinryu or Omega)

Doing random + BERSERKER this year. Contemplated naturalist, but berserker risk is painful enough even when you're able to switch jobs around.