So yea...Nintendo 3DS

NeoForte

Nintendo's come out with quite a few gimmicks in the last several years, but now they're going for one that doesn't even have a hope of offering new gameplay possibilities. I hope for their sake that it's more than a more powerful DS with 3D.

Don't wanna nay-say, but...wow...3D? Really? How about a more-powerful DS with the ability to play Wii's VC games? I mean, let's not kid ourselves - the PSP sells effectively so it can be hacked for Nintendo emulators.

Why doesn't Nintendo get this? If they would just sell a machine that let me play old games without jumping through hoops, I'd be all over it. Instead, whadda we get? 3D. It's like the 3D TV crap. I don't know if this is Avatar's influence or what, but it's making me worry for the future of televisions. Hoard your regular ones now!!

...Of course, that's a bit overstated.

http://kotaku.com/5499697/nintendo-announces-new-hardware-the-nintendo-3ds

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/23/3ds-said-to-feature-3d-control-stick-sharp-lcd-screens-will-be/

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/technology/24nintendo.html?src=tptw

Yeah, fuck you Nintendo.

Great job with that fucking DSi and DSi XL.

Discuss what you think of Ninty's new money printer and the inevitability of a Wii successor (which happens to coincide with me owning my own Wii for less than a year LOL!).

Also, a mod please lock this since in my "click to view new posts" session, I did not find the thread already made. My bad.

I mean, let's not kid ourselves - the PSP sells effectively so it can be hacked for Nintendo emulators

Huh? PSP sales are way lower than DS sales, and I think if anything people buy the PSP so they can play PS1 games, not GBA or SNES games. The DS can already play GBA games and AFAIK it has emulators for NES and SNES, not to mention all the countless remakes and ported games for DS, so... what?

I agree that a more powerful DS would be nice but it could be that the technology just isn't there yet to do it properly. The DS is already as powerful as the N64/PS1, but the leap to GameCube-level power is pretty huge for a portable device.

Huh? PSP sales are way lower than DS sales, and I think if anything people buy the PSP so they can play PS1 games, not GBA or SNES games. The DS can already play GBA games and AFAIK it has emulators for NES and SNES, not to mention all the countless remakes and ported games for DS, so... what?

I agree that a more powerful DS would be nice but it could be that the technology just isn't there yet to do it properly. The DS is already as powerful as the N64/PS1, but the leap to GameCube-level power is pretty huge for a portable device.

I know the PSP doesn't sell well - but, of the people I know who've bought it, most did for the ability to hack it to play emulators and the like. PS1 games are up there, too, but the PS2 can do that (not to mention, I think, the PS3). The trouble with the DS is, it takes effort and the ported games cost a lot. It can emulate, but it requires on-line purchases. A PSP can be hacked from a computer, or, worst case, a faulty battery; from there, you can just upload stuff to it. A DS, because it lacks a hard-drive (and the DSi's is tough to crack), makes it necessary for every would-be emulator to have the tools (a DS-accepted SD card)

I think the 3D thing is gimmicky - all I really want to see is a hard drive that I can put stuff in. Give me a calendar, some sort of document reader (DS e-Book?) - that kind of thing.

The most popular use of the PSP for emulation is easily the PS1. The capability of it to play PS1 games is built right in; you don't even need to download a special emulator. Cracking a PSP does require more than a faulty battery, though. It's a long, annoying process. When I had it done to mine, it took at least an hour. Also, the PSP doesn't have a hard drive either. It uses special SD cards that are proprietary to Sony, so it's really no better than the DS at all.

Cracking a PSP does require more than a faulty battery, though. It's a long, annoying process. When I had it done to mine, it took at least an hour.

nowadays maybe yeah but i used to do psps in bunches and i could finish a few in an hour

ugh, fuck 3D technology. It's worse than movie theaters that only do 3D showing of movies. Some people don't have true binocular vision with stereopsis, and albeit we are a small minority, I can't help but feel trampled upon with higher prices for a technology that doesn't matter to me. The only way a person like me (or many birds, for that matter) can appreciate 3D is through something like Johnny Lee's virtual window thing: when you move your head, things on screen move relative to the position of your head.

I just hope you can turn it off. Or, though I am not totally familiar with the glasses-free technology but I imagine this isn't the case, if you don't use both eyes, you won't see both images.

I guess now I can better empathize with those missing hands, fingers, etc. who wish to game - a controller that uses both hands, etc. And typing has to be brutal.

The most popular use of the PSP for emulation is easily the PS1. The capability of it to play PS1 games is built right in; you don't even need to download a special emulator. Cracking a PSP does require more than a faulty battery, though. It's a long, annoying process. When I had it done to mine, it took at least an hour. Also, the PSP doesn't have a hard drive either. It uses special SD cards that are proprietary to Sony, so it's really no better than the DS at all.

Mine was super-easy (it took about 20 minutes): maybe it's just the old models that're easy to hack? And even using the Sony "Fuck-You Brand SD", it can still read stuff that came from the compy.

ugh, fuck 3D technology. It's worse than movie theaters that only do 3D showing of movies. Some people don't have true binocular vision with stereopsis, and albeit we are a small minority, I can't help but feel trampled upon with higher prices for a technology that doesn't matter to me. The only way a person like me (or many birds, for that matter) can appreciate 3D is through something like Johnny Lee's virtual window thing: when you move your head, things on screen move relative to the position of your head.

I just hope you can turn it off. Or, though I am not totally familiar with the glasses-free technology but I imagine this isn't the case, if you don't use both eyes, you won't see both images.

I guess now I can better empathize with those missing hands, fingers, etc. who wish to game - a controller that uses both hands, etc. And typing has to be brutal.

What about people with one eye? I didn't think of that.