So yea...Nintendo 3DS

NeoForte

I'm not even missing an eye - i have one of those fun, lazy eyes. And how dare people call my eye "lazy"? It has merely been liberated of my brain's enslavement! ..somewhat.

No, they call it lazy because it just sits around eating cheetos and watching TV while the other eye does all the work. :<

Dude, I'm a lefty, and some developers won't even put southpaw controller configurations on their goddamn game control options!

I mean seriously, I'll understand if it's "too hard" to allow mapping of the ABXY functions on the Dpad, but no southpaw control stick options? Give me a fucking break.

No, they call it lazy because it just sits around eating cheetos and watching TV while the other eye does all the work. :<

Dude, I'm a lefty, and some developers won't even put southpaw controller configurations on their goddamn game control options!

I mean seriously, I'll understand if it's "too hard" to allow mapping of the ABXY functions on the Dpad, but no southpaw control stick options? Give me a fucking break.

If you're trying to satirically attack my arguments, there's a big difference between comfort/dexterity and how you perceive the game. I would only see the left perspective, meaning any game whose viewing angle should be perpendicular would appear slightly off. That's not too bad, but...

Worse, if you can't disable 3D AND if you only use one eye you still see both images, it would be fairly impossible for a person to play the system myself without massive headaches and constant confusion.

The ideal solution would be to present an average perspective between the two with an off mode.

...damn, that must be why there's never any cheetos left :(

Just FYI, the NDS will only emulate stuff via homebrew, and even then it's only NES/GBC support (SNES exists, but is super slow and not very good).

That being said, I have a fair amount of good NDS homebrew -- before I got my iTouch, I could chat on IRC and surf the web with it.

In any case, I'm looking forward to a new handheld -- the DSi wasn't really much of an upgrade over the Lite. If Nintendo really wants to compete against my ipod though, they'd better include a damn good browser and online support system with it. Otherwise I think the NDS may be my last portable Nintendo console for a while.

Where or when did Nintendo claim that the 3DS has the power of a Gamecube? I didn't see that anywhere, and it seems very hard to believe.

Yeah, I haven't seen anything claiming that either. Back in 04 when the DS was first released I assumed the next system would have the power of the Gamecube, but at this point I really doubt it.

As much as I hate to say this, it won't. The best we'll get is a decent browser.

With the success of iPhone gaming (at $5 a game, too) and possibly Android, I think Nintendo is going to have to really think of something good to ensure that people are still willing to buy a separate portable system and put $30 into each game too.

Buttons, dual screen, and battery life are "good to have" but I don't think they'll sell a new portable game system now. So many people I know are lukewarm to 3D.

(This reminds me I should probably go see Avatar even if I have to go to the movies myself, before it stops showing and I can never see it again).

With the success of iPhone gaming (at $5 a game, too) and possibly Android, I think Nintendo is going to have to really think of something good to ensure that people are still willing to buy a separate portable system and put $30 into each game too.

When i can play full castlevania games on an iPhone, I'll consider this to mean something

just sayin honestly

(This reminds me I should probably go see Avatar even if I have to go to the movies myself, before it stops showing and I can never see it again).

you definitely should, for no other reason than that the technical apsect is so mindbogglingly awesome

Personally, I'd much rather have a handheld with power on par to a Gamecube with the capability of playing Virtual Console titles. That's all I want. There's no reason at all Nintendo shouldn't allow paying customers a legal way of enjoy older games on the go, something people with emulators and roms have done for years.

Sony's PSP can play PSX games right out of the PlayStation Store which, to me, is a killer feature.

Anyway, back on topic.

Well, I guess since its all speculation at this point who knows.

I remember seeing on the 'History Channel' a few years ago a 3D TV that had two cameras mounted to it that could sense where your eyes were looking and make a 3D image according to where you were looking. The problem was that multiple people watch TVs at the same time, which made that system kind of silly to have.

With a handheld though, since only one person plays it at a time anyway that kind of system could work for a new DS. I don't remember how that system worked though, or what it was called.... not for the life of me.

Who knows though. Could just be an accelerometer or two that lets you tilt the screen to see different views.. which really wouldn't be all that revolutionary really.

This whole situation reminds me of the crazy speculation that went on when the "Nintendo Revolution" was first announced.

I think the title is misleading. It's not 3D, it's perspective, if the tech is the same as what we saw in that DSi video and it's based on a camera system. Headtracking ≠ depth. If it DOES have "3D without glasses" like they're announcing, I'm expecting some sort of lenticular, ridged plastic screen. The tech just doesn't exist to do it otherwise! If it DOESN'T have 3D, then they're calling it and advertising it as something it's not.

yeah it's really hard to believe that technology has moved forward at all in the past ten years oh wait

Look at how big the Wii is. That's about the same power as a Gamecube and it came out years later. The technology to miniaturize a powerful graphics processor like that is simply not here yet, and it's not GOING to be here in the immediate future. Basic 3D graphics (PS1/N64) are exponentially easier than the advanced physics and graphics engines found in the consoles during the PS2/Xbox/GC era.

It's things like this that are making me look at the other consoles for my gaming. I'm all for technological advancements, but they must offer something genuinely new - the wii had motion controls which, while not technically new technologically, at least offered a new take on games (i.e. you actually had to stand up some of the time).

Yet recently, it seems they've taken to implementing gimmicks that are either seldom used, or poorly implemented (namely in the cases of WiiMotion+ and DSi). Releasing a new handheld every year is not a solution, especially not with the Wii gaining competitors in the casual market it supposedly dominates. Although, when everything you make prints money, I suppose you can be forgiven for getting overconfident. Case in point: sales of PS2 vs PS3.

Look at how big the Wii is. That's about the same power as a Gamecube and it came out years later. The technology to miniaturize a powerful graphics processor like that is simply not here yet, and it's not GOING to be here in the immediate future. Basic 3D graphics (PS1/N64) are exponentially easier than the advanced physics and graphics engines found in the consoles during the PS2/Xbox/GC era.

Nintendo was supposedly looking into putting the Tegra 2 into their next thing