So yea...Nintendo 3DS

NeoForte

we can endlessly debate about whether or not the 3ds is a good idea or just a gimmick, but the fact still remains that nintendo is sitting on their proverbial throne scoffing at the rest of the industry

they simply don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks of their ideas, and with good reason: they've got nothing to lose

ha! you seriously haven't caught on to their strategy yet? look at nintendo's trademarks: innovative hardware, lower production costs, lower prices, and not to mention their MASSIVE first-party software fanbase. do you honestly think they're hurting for money? re-hashing a handheld that has already been unbelievably successful is hardly a financial risk.

am I getting through to anyone here? idiots have been going on about the "death of nintendo" since the gamecube. funny how that all turned out, isn't it?

it just surprises me that this isn't obvious to more people

ha! and so forth

I wanted to type that up myself, and I had links and charts and all kinds of stuff ready to go... but then I realized that it wasn't worth the effort.

Thank you for saying what I wanted to, and in a better way.

Read this, and then think about it. That was a few years ago, but the numbers are still pretty much line up that way.

re-hashing a handheld that has already been unbelievably successful is hardly a financial risk.

Yeah, but 3DS is not a re-hash but a successor. So there will be a risk in my opinion...

I think they should concentrate on power, to make it powerful as PSP or maybe more....

ha! you seriously haven't caught on to their strategy yet? look at nintendo's trademarks: innovative hardware, lower production costs, lower prices, and not to mention their MASSIVE first-party software fanbase. do you honestly think they're hurting for money? re-hashing a handheld that has already been unbelievably successful is hardly a financial risk.

am I getting through to anyone here? idiots have been going on about the "death of nintendo" since the gamecube. funny how that all turned out, isn't it?

it just surprises me that this isn't obvious to more people

If only people thought about that, instead of game journalists/analysts "telling the truth".

In the context of this topic, I'm intrigued by the 3DS, and I'm egear to try it out....

Yeah, but 3DS is not a re-hash but a successor.

You don't know that. No one does. That's the problem. You're speculating on a system that we don't know anything about. How can you even begin to think that it's risky or not when you barely even know what it's called?

I think they should concentrate on power, to make it powerful as PSP or maybe more....

The fact that Nintendo sold almost three times as many PSPs with only a fourth or fifth of the "power" seems to show that people aren't that concerned with how many polygons it can push, so much as price and game library. The PSP may have some damn nice looking stuff on it, but it costs more, and that's a huge factor.

The increase in processor power and memory drives the cost up. These cost increases get added tot he price tag at the store. That means you, me and everyone else in the world is going to go to a store and look at the price tags. Do I want one that will let my afford rent this month, or do I want one that will make me cut back on food so I have some place to live? Hmmm, let me think about that.

You don't know that. No one does. That's the problem. You're speculating on a system that we don't know anything about.

For what I've read on several sites, one of the few things that we know is that it has been announced as a "DS successor", not as "a new DS". Maybe it's a lie but that's what they said.

The fact that Nintendo sold almost three times as many PSPs with only a fourth or fifth of the "power" seems to show that people aren't that concerned with how many polygons it can push, so much as price and game library. The PSP may have some damn nice looking stuff on it, but it costs more, and that's a huge factor.

The increase in processor power and memory drives the cost up. These cost increases get added tot he price tag at the store. That means you, me and everyone else in the world is going to go to a store and look at the price tags. Do I want one that will let my afford rent this month, or do I want one that will make me cut back on food so I have some place to live? Hmmm, let me think about that.

I know that, and in my opinion graphics not so important in a videogame (I'm a retrogamer after all), but because I expect a successor, I expect a "generational jump", that's all.

all of our questions will be answered at E3 anyway

Exactly, I'm very curious about it...

well I liked the GBA slot a lot more in the original, myself

would you say that you play more GBA games or DS games on your DS though, out of curiosity

I think it's pretty even actually, even if I count all the GBA and DS games I don't own but want to eventually. I did once have a GBA but my mom broke a friends so I gave him mine to make up for it. I think I actually prefer the form factor of my DS over the old GBA too.

I'd like to add something to the actual topic at hand but I can't... 2 or 3 years ago I would have been excited. But nowadays I don't really care about the hardware anymore, either it'll just be another increase in power that makes little difference to me, or something where I'll have to wait and see before getting excited.

Actually I do have something to say!

I'm glad that Nintendo does this sort of stuff, even if it isn't always successful and makes people whine like crazy. In a way I've been thinking of some of the stuff Nintendo does as research/experimentation for new things.

So of course there will be some flops in it, there always will be with this sortof stuff. I think it's better than how they were a few consoles back stubbornly refusing to really try stuff out. Someones got to take the risk and nintendo is taking on that challenge so bravo to them, whether it's gimmicky or not everything has to start somewhere.

Changing things up a bit, what new features would you want in the 3DS? I'd want the following:

1) Dual cartridge slots (especially if the 3DS uses the same cartridge size as the DS, or if a hybrid slot can be built, like how some computers have cardreaders that fit SD/CF/Memory Stick/other kinds of media format). I would be much more likely to play casual games like Animal Crossing where you put in a bit of time each day if it didn't mean switching out cartridges all the time.

2) 3D visualization can't be hard on your eyes. If I'm going to get a headache if I play much more than an hour, I'm not interested in 3D games.

3) Online store account done by personal authentication rather than system ID/WiFi card MAC ID/not done at all (however it's done now). If you want people to upgrade systems and you want to introduce a download-only store, you need to allow them to transfer between machines, and an easy way to do this is by using user accounts like the PlayStation store. If parents are concerned about their kids accessing the store, have some parental controls to block access.

4) Gaming over WiFi via user account (same account as the store). Again, if parents are concerned, provide some parental controls to do something like limit connections to people on a parent-controlled friends list. Get rid of the stupid friend codes.

guys my nintendo wii doesn't have a slot for all my old NES games guys nintendo wii SUCKX

Fail! You have to open the top, where those GameCube thing are. Pry that open and then jam the cart in hard. You might have to push some of the computery stuff inside out of the way, but once you see sparks and it smokes a bit, the NES carts will run for a while. Like, half an hour at most. Turn it of every twenty minutes and it'll be fine.