*NO* Super Metroid 'En Fet Excitation'

djpretzel

Yes, another one. Hopefully, this one differs a bit to the other ones, and I wouldn't send it if I didn't think it'd add something interesting to your site. This is a Hip-Hop ReMix of the maridia2 song from Super Metroid, featuring myself - Phytre Pighlet - (The DJ and Producer (pronounced like Fighter Pilot. God I love the English spelling rules.)) and my friends MC Enrique and MC Maz, who do the rapping, and who both wrote their own lyrics. The lyrics aren't that interesting so I'm not gonna bother translating them. They aren't just mumbo-jumbo though, and they're actually very skillfully written and rhymed (IMHO) and follow the very same pattern most rap lyrics do (well, I never found most of them that interesting, anyway, save maybe Eminem's, but I don't listen that much to hip-hop). Anyhow, I hope you like the beat (urr).

As for the Remixer credits, I'd like the three of us to be listen as separate remixers, since I'm very likely to submit a number of remixes in the near future, without the help of MC Enrique or MC Maz, but maybe by myself or together with other remixers, and I might work with MC Enrique again without MC Maz, and so on.

The remix is hosted at the url below. I was forced to put the song in a zip file because it's filename was too long, and to change the .zip to .zzz because %@?#¤!!! Angelfire wouldn't let me download neither zips nor mp3 files.

The zzz format isn't associated with any software was far as I am concerned so it should be easy enough to rename using windows explorer (instead of the dos prompt). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Heheh

This is pretty cool.

Goes through the whole song, and well.

My big problem is that its minimally routing through the original with no variation and focusing entirely on lyrics from that point.

This is what I rejected krazy kracker for. Gotta be fair. Also, thers that horrible bleep towards the end WTF.

NO

But it is pretty cool.

This tune is a textbook example of HOW to arrange a preexisting, regular song into hip-hop. The timbres are all convincing and authentic. The guitar with vibrato does a great job of stating the main melody with that quirky hip-hop feel.

The verses are all very well executed. It seems almost as if the original theme was hip-hop in disguise. Like I said, this is how hip-hop arrangements should be done.

That said, I would accept this mix on its instrumentation and arrangement qualities. However, the loud beep at 2:42 is unnacceptable. I'm thinking it's a bleep, but considering I don't know the language this is in, I have no context to work off of. It needs to go. When it is, I'll reconsider.

And while that bleep is being removed, please try to EQ the percussion and whole mix in general a bit more carefully. The kick needs more thump, the snare needs more snap, and the instrumentation needs more definition as to which frequencies each synth is supposed to be dominating. Right now, it sounds like cookie cutter default synth presets. Beef up the bass with some low frequencies and a bit of ~4KHz to give it some twang and presence. The synth leads and backgrounds just need their most favorable frequencies amplified.

Give 'er some TLC, and i'll call her my baby. Until then,

NO

-D

daniel summed things up for me. the interpretation of the original into the hiphop genre is clever, and i was considering passing this up until the beep.

but beyond that, my main criticism is the quality of the vocals. the recording is iffy, it sounds spacious, there's background noise, and generally sounds unprofessional. work on recording technique, and maybe the emceeing so you guys don't sound like a couple of kids.

no