FFVIII 'Under Her Control' Remix

Anti-Syne

can you link us to an mp3 version instead? i'd recommend a free hosting service such as tindeck. youtube's quality is poop.

anyway, since i'm listening: the glitchy stuff is on the right track, though i find the hard panning on the individual drum slices a little off-putting. some separation in the sound field is good, but this takes it a little too far. there are also some droning bits where nothing much is going on (see 2:17-2:35; 3:05-end), and overall there's just a lot of empty space - could definitely use some more padding, as well as low-range support. as far as arrangement goes, the chords are there, but the melodies aren't very striking and there is some uncomfortable (imo) dissonance at times that isn't really present in the original.

The mix feels empty a lot of the time, some supporting pads would do this mix wonders, or even some static noise clips to give a bit more personality to the glitchiness, which you've got a pretty good start with but it's not worth as much when the supporting instruments/synths are sparse/nonexistent.

I'll take what halc said one step further and say that some of your panned synths, as well as the drums, is a little disorienting too. If you beefed up the overall soundscape I doubt this would be as big of a deal, but when you've got a loud synth in one ear with nothing else around it, it sticks out rather unpleasantly.

Cheers guys, i know what you mean about it being empty and listening back to it the panning is very unsubtle. Sadly i had to put this up as finished because i accidentally deleted the samples and audio files, so i can't go back to the project and change it. Bad times...

Thanks for the constructive feedback, i'll definately take your advice on future pieces.

• 2 weeks later...