Sonic 4 - Splash Hill Remix

Tarnish

Personalize this a bit! :-D

At least that's a pretty straight-forward suggestion, lol. Yeah you're right, and I'm working on that. So far this is what I got this:

stats.png

Still rough around the edges I know, but I think it's starting to sound different from the original. =P

New (but not too big) update:

stats.png

Still working on 'personalizeing' it. And if anybody has any ideas on how should I call this remix (something more creative than 'Splash Hill remix'), I'm listening.

And btw, we'll see about that solo thingy.

Mmkay, this is definitely getting there, a marked improvement over the last WIP I heard on this.

I like the idea of adding in a flute part, but your sequencing of said-flute is really robotic and doesn't have the same articulation or human touch that you'd expect from a pan flute. Work on adding in some creative velocities and pitch bends to give it an authentic sound :-)

I think the bass synth is a little too up-front and dry, and since it's present throughout the whole mix, it tends to grate on you after a few verses.

For the most part, this is coming along pretty nicely though - your synth choices are mostly working well and the melody/chord progression elicits a very Owl City-esque mood. It also reminds me heavily of Sole Signal's mix "Serenity's Wake" which is a good thing! :-D

Take caution though, your mix is starting to get repetitive, since a lot of parts are repeated several times without much noticeable variation. For a mix only 2 minutes long, that's not a good thing :\

Keep working on this, it's got good potential!

• 3 weeks later...
Mmkay, this is definitely getting there, a marked improvement over the last WIP I heard on this.

I like the idea of adding in a flute part, but your sequencing of said-flute is really robotic and doesn't have the same articulation or human touch that you'd expect from a pan flute. Work on adding in some creative velocities and pitch bends to give it an authentic sound :-)

I think the bass synth is a little too up-front and dry, and since it's present throughout the whole mix, it tends to grate on you after a few verses.

For the most part, this is coming along pretty nicely though - your synth choices are mostly working well and the melody/chord progression elicits a very Owl City-esque mood. It also reminds me heavily of Sole Signal's mix "Serenity's Wake" which is a good thing! :-D

Take caution though, your mix is starting to get repetitive, since a lot of parts are repeated several times without much noticeable variation. For a mix only 2 minutes long, that's not a good thing :\

Keep working on this, it's got good potential!

Thx for the constructive feedback. :razz: Well then, let's see:

About the flute and bass sequencing, I know they need work, but so far I'm only concentrating on the composition and I wanna finish that first before I get started with the mixing. (From experience I think it's not the wisest idea to work on both of them simultaneously.)

I wasn't aiming for the 'Owl City-esque mood' but that's cool. XP Actually I only started this whole thing due to boredom, didn't think it would turn out to be something that has potential.

And last but not least, I'm aware that it's still pretty repetitive. I just 'pasted' together 3 verses of the original tune as a start and started working on them as the ideas came. I consider the intro and the first verse pretty much finished but the rest is still WIP. Verse 2 is next and then comes 3, not to mention an ending plus I'm also pondering a solo. So in short, composition is still far from being final. :<

Well, here's another update:

stats.png

I only concentrated on the composition/writing so I'm aware that the mixing is still very rough and things sound very robotic/inhuman.

Verse 2 is now more or less complete tho I admit there are still 1-2 short parts I couldn't exactly get to sound how I wanted to. =/ But anyway I hope it doesn't sound so repetitive anymore now and sounds more like a remix than a rearrangement.

Okay, done with the writing, more or less, so here's a sort of 'final' version regarding composition.

Toward the end it's maybe a little rushed but I just don't want to work on it anymore..at least for now..it's starting to give me a headache. So finished with the writing, mixing is next.

Anyway, tell me what you think. :smile:

The main issue with this mix is that the arrangement is purely ornamental. The harmony, structure, and instrumentation of the music remains essentially the same but with varied instrumental lines. In the future, try to develop the source more - use it as a base from which to expand into new territory, so that the music represents both the original and something else altogether.

You can think of it like a sculpture: the original is the clay that the remix is made of, yet when you look at it you don't see a pile of clay, you see a sculpture. The clay has been given a new shape and transcended its original form. If this analogy isn't clear to you I could give an example of a remix on the site which exemplifies it. Most of them to more or less extent embody it.

If this analogy isn't clear to you I could give an example of a remix on the site which exemplifies it. Most of them to more or less extent embody it.

I understand the analogy, just freaking hard to match to it as it usually turns out either too liberal or too close to the source..freaking impossible to tell what's good enough for you guys.

I understand the analogy, just freaking hard to match to it as it usually turns out either too liberal or too close to the source..freaking impossible to tell what's good enough for you guys.

Certainly it isn't easy, since it requires a mixture of creative imagination and rigor to uphold the source, but with perseverance you will become more skilled. Don't forget that others' criticism can only help make you aware of problems, and that ultimately you are the only real judge of your work and that only you can say what is good enough.

• 2 months later...

Yay, an update.

stats.png

Tried to personalise it some more...nothing else that's worth mentioning.

EDIT: This is the final version cuz I don't want to work on it anymore and because ppl are obviously not interested in this remix at all. If you find it unfinished, then sry but I'm not gonna work on it anymore.