OCR01208 - Legend of Zelda "Eutopia Pegasi"

Really enjoyed the first minute of it, and the ending. I was however really expecting it to pick up somewhere towards the minute mark.

While the music is very clean, and the progressions very transporting at times, i feel as though there is a lot of ramble writing. There are parts that are very unfocused. The strings were also a bit of a turn off as I like mine a lot softer, to the point where I'd prefer synthetic ones to real ones if thats what it took to get them soft.

Definite points go to thee though for a very different take on Zelda than I am used to. This could easily be the credits theme to a futuristic Zelda adventure, or the opening CG movie (the way the games are going these days).

In short, I cant dance to this without wearing a white wig... white wigs are for old people, and dead old people.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO BUMP THIS IN MY HOOD? I'd be shot.

John demands drums!

Good stuff... more dance next time.

Very interesting take on the theme. Kinda like soething you would hear a botanical garden. It would be interesting to have OC take all the main Zelda theme remixes and compare and contrast them.

On another note, the review noted how people take a simple theme and make it complex. Anyone ever thought about doing the reverse? Kinda ringtony, but it might work.

There have been a few attempts at the reverse, taking the complex and making it simple. I've heard a few chiptune remakes of more modern orchestral peices, and OC Remix's own "Battle of Strings and a Cell Phone" is a really neat peice of the same vein.

But we aren't talking about such things here. We're talking about THIS little work of art. To me, it sounds very similar to the recent Beyond Good And Evil mix, with Aurora singing. Both singers do a FANTASTIC job, although I can clearly distinguish their voices. Destiny has a slightly deeper voice, but very pure and definitely pleasing to the ears. Other similarities include the airy woodwinds in the background at times, and the flowing piano.

The main writeup for this work really hits the essense of this on the head though. The Beyond Good and Evil mix was working with source material that sounded much similar to the end result than this did with its source material. For Beyond Good and Evil, that was a good thing, as the source material, sounding as it does, is really nice. But for THIS... I'd NEVER have suspected hearing the main Zelda theme in this style.

The beginning REALLY differs from the original in vast and powerful ways, making it almost, almost but not quite, unrecognizable. I'd say that's okay though, as it really sets the mood, and when the VERY recognizable tune pops up with the flute, it's a shock and startler, even though you DON'T CHANGE STYLES AT ALL. It just fits in like a puzzle piece, and that's what so amazing about it.

The voice, the piano, the guitar, the ambient strings and sampled chorus in the background, everything just FITS together so well. The faint cymbal taps at just the key transition points is a major draw for how subtle they are. Subtle is good!

Complexity you have. Variation you have. Beauty you have. Pleasing instruments you have. A tune that really draws me into the nostalgic you have. A voice to call the birds from the trees you have. Anything thing missing?

Umm, I think you're missing a fair amount of suckage. Nope, can't find any suckage here.

Well done!

Let's get something straight: This is a great remix. Not my favorite Remix from either of the two, but still very good.

It's Zelda all right, but it's also very different. But in an excellent form of different. LOVE the piano part. Vocals are good, along with every thing in the song and the only problem I really have with this Remix is that its too long to repeat so a lot of the same things over and over.

Yeah, I know, I'm kinda general, but I'm also not a musician. I'm just a listener.

And how can I get a cool picture to appear next to my name, too?

I think Fieari did a good job to sum this one up. The Super Metroid arrangments are still my favorite, but this is certainly a very enchanting re-working of our most beloved of video game songs. This guy is pretty amazing; keep it up, wingless.

Props to destiny also. The vocals are a very nice touch. One can imagine Princess Zelda atop her castle singing to the hills.

Not only do I believe that this is undoubtedly the best remix on the site, but also in the top five in my entire MP3 directory. This sets the bar up quite a few more feet for the other remixers, and goes well beyond what the vast majority of commercial music has achieved in terms of quality.

I'm really not just kissing ass, here. I never thought I'd hear a freakin' game remix that could make me shed a few tears like a really good movie could. Very simplistic, very powerful, very perfect.

Pretty nice :) A bit minimal perhaps-- I would've liked to have heard Destiny bit more involved in the composition, as if she added a few Eldamar-ish/Dream-of-the-Innocent-ish touches it might give it that little extra layer of depth that would've put it over the top and just made it totally epic. However, what she *did* do sounds beautiful as ever-- nice work from both artists!

This mix is extremely well done and I agree that the evolution is a good approach (The Wingless being one one of my favored ReMixers on this site may have something to do with this :) )

However, I think that while people may come to this site looking for good music, they are originally coming to look for GAME music(I use myself as the only example since I'm not sure how other people find out about this). Evolution of music helps out with regular songs exremely, but for game music I believe the best way to think of it is how a newcomer would look at things. Your favorite game music, looking for a good Zelda song (an actiony game) and you find the theme turned into THIS, it's not bouncy at all, in fact it's soft and heaven forbid... emotional. Wouldn't you rather find something expanded upon the theme song, with a bit more of an epic pounce in it? (this idea may destory the creativity of the site, if you think so then go ahead an tell me off)Maybe DJP can add a classification system designed by himself or the judges for each ReMix so people can ease themselves in to the wonder of this website listening to their own preferred type of music first, just a suggestion.

Keep it rolling oh ye with no wings, I look forward to more chewey goodness. Been keeping tabs on you since the Morrowind ReMix :)

Mr.Michael

Mr. Michael, in reply, I'd ask you to take a look at this site's FAQ, and esspecially the mission statement.

Why aren't the ReMixes categorized by genre, i.e. techno, jazz, orchestral, etc.?

This has come up a few times in discussion or email and is worth addressing here. I have no intentions of categorizing pieces by genre. We've discussed this matter several times on the forums - what it boils down to is a feeling that:

There are many pieces that don't fit nicely into genres or have multiple genres, and putting them in "miscellaneous" and "multiple" categories would be kind of lame and

Part of the purpose of the site is to open people's minds (and ears) to new horizons i.e. variety. If all you want to do is download Squaresoft techno, so be it, but you'll be missing out on tons of great songs. A system that would encourage that type of navigation, however, is not something we've decided to implement.

A third reason could potentially be that I'd feel lonely having the only piece in the hillbilly genre, but I think the first two reasons are strong enough.

OverClocked ReMix exists to...

honor and appreciate the often-overlooked men and women who write quality music for a medium that is too frequently considered to be "disposable"

revive older game music that is every bit as 'musical' (if not moreso) than today's more complex redbook audio scores - to open the ears and eyes of generations that missed the days of 8 and 16-bit and grew up on polygons and DA. (note: this does not mean all ReMixes will be of older titles, only that older titles form a core aspect of the site's purpose)

encourage and facilitate ReMixers to express themselves and improve their musical skills, knowledge, and capabilities, achieving recognition both in their own right and for the original compositions as well

provide great, free music to the world

I'd like to emphasize that the purpose of OCR is for MUSIC over nostalgia. Not to say that the nostalgia thing isn't there, but it isn't the focus. It's not the purpose of OCR.

If you're looking for the original sound with updated instruments, such things can be found, often on P2P services. I have two Grand Epic Orchestral mixes of the Main Zelda theme. It's out there. And this fufills a niche, a purpose, but that doesn't mean it's the sole thing to seek after. I'm just as in awe of the megaman piano solos as I am of AE's Techno works, even though the Techno is rather more similar to the original. (AE's works, by the way, are superb, and fall into the selection of the few techno songs I love)

And who's to say that this sort of thing, found in Eutopia Pegasi can't evoke images from the game? Music can tell a story. I could personally see this exact remix in the upcomming Zelda game shown at E3 this year, with the Adult Link. It could be played during a cinematic, during the introduction, while a prophesy is being delivered, or perhaps in a temple, or while walking through the sunlit woods. It's not like the entire game is all about nonstop action (well, the first one was, but that has now been the expection to the rule with every game since).

I'm just listening to the cresendo at 3:25 now... ooh, I can just SEE the spinning triforce here in a stone temple, with sunlight light pouring through a window... and the camera draws back, and the doors shut...

And then we're outside, in the Golden Land, and it's night... the people who have been trapped here are going about their new lives in their new forms... and life is displayed, with hope for the future dispite the moblin hordes. Even here, under Ganon's rule, there is hope, and resistance.

And then the finale to the song, where we return to Link himself, and he's being sent off on his quest. It all begins now, now is the time to do great things, heroic things.

Yeah, this is epic. This is good stuff.

This is music.

In short, I cant dance to this without wearing a white wig... white wigs are for old people, and dead old people.

Sorry Im kinda a newb here but this kinda ticked me off. Not all music is for dancing, some people like myself Enjoy this type of music more then Drums and guitars, or synthesized beats. And to those who say this isn't a zelda piece at all listen a bit more closely next time i hear tones of zelda in this piece

sorry for Ranting

BTW excellent piece I enjoyed it alot

Amen, the womb. good point.

I really liek this. not what i had expected but a pleasent surprise to be sure. very well done. One of my favorites of winglesses' stuff. Cant say I know anytrhign about anything else Destiny has done.

the music flows very well, chords are awesome, balance is great, just all and all a great song.

First off, I enjoyed the piece. But something’s didn't feel right.

There seems to be a few parts that don't flow too well within the piece. Listening to the earlier parts, it brought me into this sense of mystery, despair, and failing hope (which, I might add, is well done). Then somewhere around 2:28 the piece just stopped to me. The piano run-off intro to the original theme was out of place and didn't feel right. I've listened to that part a hundred times now and it still gets to me. Hearing the original Zelda theme in here made it seem out of place. Maybe Kondo made the piece too bright to be remixed in such a dark and tragic way. Finally at 5:50 (which I think is the best part) all you hear is the piano and singing as they bring the song to an almost eerie ending.

In my opinion, Nice Work! There are just a few things that don't fit to me.

This remix is great! A little bit long to download, but it worth the wait! The music playing at 3:12 reminds me of the ocean palace' song in Chrono Trigger, weird.........The woman voice is the perfect company to the strings and piano, creating the illusion that the source of the music is a divine place. There is a contrast between the notes that would be important to notice: the high sounds tell that everything is calm and everything will be until the end of time, while the bass sounds deliver an atmospher of battles and wars..........As if Link was standing on a cliff after the end of his quest asking himself: «Did I succeed?».

I just have to add: I know a lot of the songs on OCR, too many to very often say with certainty that a particular song is one of my favorites. I just listened to this song, and I can say, it's one of my favorites. Of course, I'm also a bit biased towards arrangements with vocals, but still.

I think Wingless almost didn't have to put his name on it for me to recognise it was his work, in the same tradition as One girl in all the world/All the world in one girl (the only others I have heard of his yet I suspect this is about to change), with the lovely vocals added by Destiny gave it tremendous feeling.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01208 - Legend of Zelda "Eutopia Pegasi"