OCR01235 - *YES* Mega Man X2, X3 & X1 "Beamsabre Beat ZERO v2" *RESUB*

DarkeSword

Okay guys. So this is a piece that got rejected by the panel shortly before I joined. I took some suggestions to heart and added some stuff I had wanted to do in the first iteration but didn't get a chance to.

Here's the song:

It's a remix of Zero's Themes from MMX1-3, using the X2 Zero Theme as the basis. I hope you at least enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the old decision if anyone needs to see if the various issues were addressed: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27280

Altogether, this has bits and pieces of both arrangement and voices from 5 games in the Megaman X series, and I liked how many layers of activity were going on at any given point in time, which may seem overwhelming to some. I first listened to this a bunch of times when Shariq revised and released this on VGMix (back when I was doing monster reviews), along with the source material and the first version of the mix. Pretty much all the areas of the mix that sounded like glaringly bad FL n00bery are gone and I don't feel there's the overall generic Fruity techno sound that the first version had, as there are more higher-quality sounds involved than with this production than with v1. Great use of the in-game voice samples with the break section from 1:48-2:06, BTW.

Obviously, much more proficient and unique sounds can be done with FL as opposed to what you hear here, and I know that the origins of this mix are dated. Thus the foundations of this mix are much more of an indicator of where DS was at over a year ago talent-wise. But the energy is very upbeat, I felt the semi-medley structure of the piece was strong, and the melodic layering worked surprisingly well. I'm not much of a fan techno personally, and some of the sounds are basic Fruity sounds, but I liked how everything came together here. The whole ends up greater than the sum of its parts.

YES

Huge fan of the x series (1-3) NO for basically the same reasons as before.

1. Parts like 2:23 are very VERY messy. Its kinda like putting one song over another and hoping they fit together. For anyone who doesn't view a song musically and only looks for melodies they recognize and a good 4/4, it wouldn't matter much, but I'm not one of them.

2. Crappy crappy percussion.

3. Lots and lots of repeating, no variation.

Clearly below par to me.

• 2 weeks later...

it still seems to me like the mmx1 & 3 themes sound like they are just shoved in there for some reason. they are crammed in all next to each other, however the layering at 2:20 is cool. i'd get rid of the x3 theme entirely and work more on giving the x1 and x2 segments more distinct feels, and play around with the layering more.

clearly some potential but i dont think it's ther eyet.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is certainly not Shariq's best effort but this is much better than his old version of this mix. I think the arrangement is fun and definitely cool! My only real main issue here is too much reverb/delays on this thing. More clarity on the synths would have been nice. It is a minor offense in my book.

Yes it's repetitive, but a lot of good works are just that. Enjoyable for me and earns my YES.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01235 - *YES* Mega Man X2, X3 & X1 "Beamsabre Beat ZERO v2" *RESUB*