Star Fox 2 Midi

Doni

Hey y'all,

So there was this unreleased game called Star Fox 2 that has some pretty sexcellent music, but I can't find the midi's anywhere :-(

I suppose I could tab out the song myself, but I'm a bit too lazy for that! The track I'm looking for is Eladard, here it is in Youtube form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIExQbFoc8g

Anyways if anyone has this, please let me know... Google has not helped me on this one

If you plan to be lazy while remixing a song, don't bother.

As far as musical dictation, you'll want to know what mode it's written in, and you'll want to know that mode well.

Having a piano nearby to check your work also helps I guess.

The best way to do it is to listen for specific scale degrees like tonics, dominants, and leading tones. Then you can fill in everything in between.

You're lucky. Music majors have to do it without a piano and a limited number of plays.

Actually, when I'm not doing dictation for a class, I just listen to a bar at once, write it out in some notation software that'll play it back for me (still listening for obvious scale degrees as an aid), and then move on to the next bar.

Hearing notes other than the top note can be tricky. You can try to hear the other voices from a harmonic standpoint (is this a triad? seventh chord? is it major? minor? diminished? augmented? none of the above?)

Or you can try to focus on the melodic structure of the middle voice and employ a similar method used for the top voice.

Once upon a many years ago, I wanted to play SNES tunes on my gba with homebrew, and seeing as how pogoshell was only capable of playing only some basic mod/midi/it/tracked music I took it upon myself to find out how to convert spcs into something I could play.

So I searched and searched the internet, and everything I found (including various spc->midi converters) sounded like crap, or was too complicated for stupid-younger-me.

But it occurs to me that you don't necessarily want something that sounds good, but rather want something that reproduces the notes well.

I think one of the programs that I used can be found here

Anywho, your mileage may vary, seeing as how it was 2002 or 2003 when I last did any searching involving spc conversions. Good luck!

Also, there is another program called SPC Tool that is also apparently pretty powerful and allows for spc->midi conversion, but it is also a DOS program, and is likely hard for just about anybody to use these days :D

yeah, it definitely helps to be able to do it without midi ... using the midis can hold back your creativity. Well, it holds back my creativity, I don't know what it'll do to you.

Anyway, Star Fox 2 is probably one of my favorite SNES games. I might even like it more than SF64, maybe if it was physically available. Some day I'll figure out how to get roms onto cartridges, just so I can play this game on a real system. That's my dream.

So I'd totally be down to check out your mix if you do figure it out. I don't know anything about modes, but I can tell you it's in D flat ... the chord progression's not too crazy so you shouldn't have too much trouble, should you get over your laziness ...

yeah, it definitely helps to be able to do it without midi ... using the midis can hold back your creativity. Well, it holds back my creativity, I don't know what it'll do to you.

Anyway, Star Fox 2 is probably one of my favorite SNES games. I might even like it more than SF64, maybe if it was physically available. Some day I'll figure out how to get roms onto cartridges, just so I can play this game on a real system. That's my dream.

So I'd totally be down to check out your mix if you do figure it out. I don't know anything about modes, but I can tell you it's in D flat ... the chord progression's not too crazy so you shouldn't have too much trouble, should you get over your laziness ...

I can definitely do it, if I had the midi it would just save me a bit of time because I've got a good idea of where I want to go creatively with it. I'll post it up in the WIP section when I'm done, probably within a month (it won't take that long, but I'm in the middle of 2 tracks I want to finish first)

I had never heard about this game, but reflecting back to my nintendo power days, I think I can remember it. It has a couple of choice tunes, a sad waste for an unreleased game.

Once upon a many years ago, I wanted to play SNES tunes on my gba with homebrew, and seeing as how pogoshell was only capable of playing only some basic mod/midi/it/tracked music I took it upon myself to find out how to convert spcs into something I could play.

So I searched and searched the internet, and everything I found (including various spc->midi converters) sounded like crap, or was too complicated for stupid-younger-me.

But it occurs to me that you don't necessarily want something that sounds good, but rather want something that reproduces the notes well.

I think one of the programs that I used can be found here

Anywho, your mileage may vary, seeing as how it was 2002 or 2003 when I last did any searching involving spc conversions. Good luck!

Also, there is another program called SPC Tool that is also apparently pretty powerful and allows for spc->midi conversion, but it is also a DOS program, and is likely hard for just about anybody to use these days :D

Most excellent! I'll give this a try. Many thanks!

sorry who the *&$% are you?

Someone who speaks the truth. If you're going to do something, do it right. Don't take the easy way out because the end result may/will suffer, regardless of what you're doing (music, visual art, editing, writing, etc.). Perhaps you're not interested in making a lot of remixes, or maybe you are. Either way, it's good advice.

Saving time is a good thing, but so is not having to rely on something being there to help get you started. Namely, because it won't always be. I've never used a MIDI in my life, namely because I learned to play by ear. So to me, using a pre-made MIDI as a base just seems off. Backward basically.

I know not everyone (anyone?) will agree with me, but that's all just my opinion. Take it or leave as you see fit.

Someone who speaks the truth. If you're going to do something, do it right. Don't take the easy way out because the end result may/will suffer, regardless of what you're doing (music, visual art, editing, writing, etc.). Perhaps you're not interested in making a lot of remixes, or maybe you are. Either way, it's good advice.

Saving time is a good thing, but so is not having to rely on something being there to help get you started. Namely, because it won't always be. I've never used a MIDI in my life, namely because I learned to play by ear. So to me, using a pre-made MIDI as a base just seems off. Backward basically.

I know not everyone (anyone?) will agree with me, but that's all just my opinion. Take it or leave as you see fit.

There's a concept called tone, I didn't like how it was used against me, so I called him out.

As for your music creation process, it's yours. I have my own way, and others have their way. Which one is right? The only thing I asked for was if anybody had a link to a midi file... I wasn't really into a getting into a big debate about "how remixes should be done".

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I can sound out the notes, it's not that hard if you've been playing music since you were 10. I work about 60 hours per week and I just wanted to save myself some time. I see no correlation between the creative process and sounding out the notes to a song.

There's a concept called tone, I didn't like how it was used against me, so I called him out.

As for your music creation process, it's yours. I have my own way, and others have their way. Which one is right? The only thing I asked for was if anybody had a link to a midi file... I wasn't really into a getting into a big debate about "how remixes should be done".

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I can sound out the notes, it's not that hard if you've been playing music since you were 10. I work about 60 hours per week and I just wanted to save myself some time. I see no correlation between the creative process and sounding out the notes to a song.

Speaking of tone :whatevaa:

Perhaps you see no connection, but it does happen for some. A whole host of notes already in place can work against your writing in a mental way as you start trying to create. It seems like it's cluttered and you're trying to write your ideas in the middle of what feels like a mess. I've read how some feel like they're fighting with the original song more than anything because it's already all there, getting in the way. Again, this doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens.

Either way, it was merely a suggestion. It's a good skill to further hone when you do get the time.

On a somewhat tangential note, this flash cart will NOT run Star Fox 2, because Star Fox 2 used the Super FX 2 enhancement chip, which is unsupported by all (that I know of) flash carts/copiers.

The only way to get Star Fox 2 on actual hardware is to grab a copy of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (though apparently any Super FX donor cart will work), de-solder the rom, and re-solder a compatible eprom that you have programed Star Fox 2 on.

I've never tried it myself, but this thread contains many success stories.

... Hmm, the next time I have 30-40 bucks to spare, I may just have a go at it myself.

On a somewhat tangential note, this flash cart will NOT run Star Fox 2, because Star Fox 2 used the Super FX 2 enhancement chip, which is unsupported by all (that I know of) flash carts/copiers.

The only way to get Star Fox 2 on actual hardware is to grab a copy of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (though apparently any Super FX donor cart will work), de-solder the rom, and re-solder a compatible eprom that you have programed Star Fox 2 on.

I've never tried it myself, but this thread contains many success stories.

... Hmm, the next time I have 30-40 bucks to spare, I may just have a go at it myself.

Interesting... But that would be much more difficult than tabbing out the song! ;-)

MIDIs are only source information. The only thing that can hold back your creativity is you.

Look at that, I don't even have to come up with my own response:

A whole host of notes already in place can work against your writing in a mental way as you start trying to create. It seems like it's cluttered and you're trying to write your ideas in the middle of what feels like a mess. I've read how some feel like they're fighting with the original song more than anything because it's already all there, getting in the way. Again, this doesn't happen to everyone, but it happens.

I'd rather sit down at a keyboard or with a guitar to learn a song, and in the process of figuring out how a piece goes I also figure out my own way of playing it.

For some reason I never looked into it. I don't want to give up my Yoshi's Island (even for SF2) but I'm sure I can find another donor somewhere. Exciting!

No one's mentioned that you can isolate each of the eight sound channels in an SNES chiptune through the Winamp/Chipamp plugin (each will likely be monophonic) and export to .WAV if you wish to study further. Skip the MIDI. Can't be difficult to transcribe from there, but I don't know the level of laziness we're talking about.

EDIT: TA-DA! I even did all the work for you. Tracks 1-3 are the meat of the composition; Track 7 missing because it was silent.

http://www.bronxrican.com/misc/Star%20Fox%202%20-%20Eladard%20-%2001.mp3

http://www.bronxrican.com/misc/Star%20Fox%202%20-%20Eladard%20-%2002.mp3

http://www.bronxrican.com/misc/Star%20Fox%202%20-%20Eladard%20-%2003.mp3

http://www.bronxrican.com/misc/Star%20Fox%202%20-%20Eladard%20-%2004.mp3

http://www.bronxrican.com/misc/Star%20Fox%202%20-%20Eladard%20-%2005.mp3

http://www.bronxrican.com/misc/Star%20Fox%202%20-%20Eladard%20-%2006.mp3

http://www.bronxrican.com/misc/Star%20Fox%202%20-%20Eladard%20-%2008.mp3