More Owl City questions better stated...

Okay so in his song Hello Seattle, and I guess none of you understood what I meant last time, maybe due to me just being tired and stupid. I can use FL, but can't figure out how he makes his synths have such a poppy noise. In the beginning I figure he uses something like Toxic Bio but I can't get that poppy click he's got going on in the song. Any help on the synth he could use for that arp or any other ones? I just need help on what synths would be good for that stuff. I am cluttered and have tons. Any help would be awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

You could use pretty much any synth to sound like Owl City - especially since from what I've heard none of the instruments he uses sound particularly ground-breaking or unique to particular synths.

For example, the opening arp from Hello Seattle - I'm pretty sure that arp could be made in quite a lot of general synths, though since you mentioned Toxic Biohazard, I'll show you how to make it in TB with only a tiny bit of tweaking.

Oddly enough, the first preset ("12 bit sine ToTc") actually sounds very much like it already, so we'll start from that:

Set unison voices to 0 (Or "---" as it's shown)

Change the waveform of Osc 2 to Sine.

Turn off delay.

Give it an effect channel and add Fruity Delay Bank (Just leave it as-is)

Add Fruity Reeverb 2 - set size to max, H.Cut and L.Cut to max, and Wet to around the middle.

If you wanna test it in comparison, set the tempo to 120. In Toxic Biohazard go into Sequence mode (Click "Seq" in the middle) and set it to look like this:

|000 --- 007 --- | 000 --- 012 ---

|011 --- 007 --- | 004 --- 007 --- etc.

(Leave the rest blank)

And activate the play button right below it.

Now hold down A# (The 7 key on the keyboard) and listen. It should

sound pretty much exactly the same.

It's often said that the best way to learn is to try and imitate, so just mess around and experiment with the synths you have until you find something that sounds similar to what you want.

It can be fun, educational, and you may end up with some great unintended results that you like even more that the sound you were trying to imitate.

It would be much more fun and educational if you played around, experimented, and figured it out for yourself, but I'll help anyway.

Why, was "Google it" taken? Don't write things like this to people asking for a little assistance in their stuff. It is a benefit to both parties to actually help someone asking for help instead of passing off the answer in such a way.

Don't write things like this to people asking for a little assistance in their stuff.

Ah, sorry, that was pretty stupid of me. I did mean it in more of a helpful way, if it came off as snide or something.

Actually, looking through it, my post was terrible. I'll go back and edit it now.