OCR01210 - Dragon View "Apocryphal"

As usual, aluminum delivers the New Age goods. While his mixes aren't as prominent on Overclocked as GrayLightning's, for example, he has shown on numerous occasions that he knows how to craft an excellent New Age mix with great ambience and replayability. I strongly recommend that people check out his Trigun Remix on Anime Remix for another example of his proficiency at his craft. Specific points in this remix that I enjoy include:

-The delayed notes at :18 followed by the strings. Beautiful.

- 1:09 - Great buildup to the main melody....

- The main flute. I love its wetness...

- Just about the entire middle section

- The reversed notes that come in at 3:30ish. Wonderful.

Highly recommend this. Nice work, aluminum !

I had to post on this :). This is a great remix but I noticed there seems to be some confusion about the beginning and ending sounds. I might be able to clear that up. It has been many years since I've played Dragon View or it's sequel, but that strange sound is appropriate to the song. It is similar to the weird sound from the game that occurred just before you were attacked, I believe. It didn't occur every time, just when certain things came near you and if you managed to escape notice, that same sound would fade out as it got further away.

It's unfortunate that this game fell into almost complete obscurity because the game was interesting with a fairly good story line (further expanded upon in the sequel). Regardless, this remix does live up to the feel of the game (at least as I remember it ;)). Nicely done. :)

• 1 month later...

So I'm listening to this mix, right? Throughout, I'm pretty much thinking, "Wow, this is pretty good, all enigma-ish and stuffs like they said..."

But then, but then near the end, as it drops off, I'm not paying much attention to the time so I'm thinking "Okay, so here's a drop-off part leading to another section of the song." So then I'm waiting for something new to pop in out of that emptiness for a bit until I realize the song's... OVER. Huh? W..what's goin' on, man? That was, like, two thirds of a song... (well, maybe three quarters or four fifths or something, whatever... "incomplete-sounding" is what I mean)

So yeah, that pretty much describes my impression of this song. Maybe there's a level of thinking you have to acquire in order to comprehend the greatness of a sudden, seemingly-random halt such as that, but to me it was quite the awkwardness. Ah, well...

• 4 weeks later...

But all the parts before the abrupt ending that are included is way more than an average VG composer would do for something on the SNES or any old system or even any new system. So if you just take those parts it's good. Though a real ending would clear up things. I guess I just got started because you said 2/3 of a song. More like 15/16 of a song.

For some reason I started playing this game. I remember there was a remix for it at the time I was going through a list of SNES games and it sounded like an RPG, so I went for it. Very strange game. This mix reflects the environment this game could bring if it were on a newer system. It's especially this way since the original is so short, and the mix is a vast expansion on it with practically 90% new material. More like an Inspired By song, but still some ReMix in it.

Very relaxing. Very good type of sound to win over just about anyone's ears.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Though I think the pan flute is too far-removed from the rest of the mix (it seems to sit on top as opposed to in), this is a great sounding mix. I really dig the pads and drum sounds, I think they mesh really well, and the mood set here is impressively understated.

A pretty nice track from an obscure game, I like this one.

• 1 year later...

This is a wonderful arrangement! I love the sounds and atmosphere so damn much! The beginning sounds a lot like Vangelis which is a huge Pro for me. The rest of the song is no slouch either. The wind instruments do a good job setting an icy tone with the electronics. This feels like a song that should be played in an arty movie while snowflakes fall around someone on a desolate frozen-over lake.

• 5 months later...

This emits a vibe that's both warm and chill, close and far, soft and dynamic. The Dragons (a.k.a. Gods of Land and Sea) is tugged in various notational directions while keeping its mythological feel. Every staccato note is like the flicker of a candle flame, dancing this way and that, and the tenuto swells/pads/hums feel like the presence of ancient spirits. I also dig the accented clashes/crashes in the percussion; they add a dominating, windy depth to the soundscape.

Druidic.

• 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01210 - Dragon View "Apocryphal"