OCR00427 - Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) "Symphonic Ruin"

Ginnsu

'Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) 'Symphonic Ruin'

This starts off with just a nice ambient drizzle and rumble which sets a very somber mood and continues through out the song. I like how this one plays the lead instrument for a few moments and then cuts to break into a drum solo. The electric guitar which is added in at the end are very cool, unexpected, and adds a feeling of insensitive finality to the song. Great work from Jivemaster.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to reply to this one..... And before I go on, I must insist that this it not a suck up! :D

The original Rusty Ruin soundtrack from the Saturn and PC version of Sonic 3D held a very stale retro feel and although it skimmed the surface of the emotion it was trying to convey it was just far too mainstream to even compare to Jivemaster's reworking...

Although many have commented about the rain/noise issue I think it prepares the listener for what's in store - and the rumbling thunder symbolises for me that it's something special. The synth strings reject their artificial background as do the phasing pads - which almost sound like moaning voices in places - thus fitting perfectly with this earthly track. The echo piano boldly but vulnerably leads the way through the mix before being replaced by a rounded synth adding a pleasant contrast to the song. The bass is strong but not bold as it lurks in the background. Initially I had a problem with the beats, I may have appreciated something more traditional and less brassy but it eventually grew on me and although I'm not completely over them, they lay the track down well. The final section, featuring a dramatic breakdown beat-wise, adds the final contrast to the mix and yet still not too much of a contrast. The leckie-guitar adds the final attitude that pushes the listener to the end of the song.

All in all this is truly fantastic track that emotionally touched me from the second I began to listen to it. For months it has remained my favourite video-game remix ever (and still is) thus reasoning my extensive review!! :lol: When I, or anyone else creates a mix of this calibur, integrity and soul then they will truly have created the ultimate video game remix.

~ LeeBro

• 1 month later...

fact: remixes come and go on this site, but this will Remain my favorite OCR perpetually

major props to jivemaster. just about broke down when i'd first gotten this. the way the original Rusty Ruin Zone (crap) got turned into an artistic masterpiece is amazing. could picture myself sinking deeper and deeper into an abyss on every listen. it’s a soothing, melancholic, and uplifting mix all in one, and dammit, it strikes a chord in me whenever i hear it

• 2 months later...

I loved the start of this track, but the heavy guitar at the end of the track, and the effect that replaces the piano mid way through the track took a while to grow on me. The guitar mainly because it sounds like me playing guitar (which I hate), and the effect because I would have prefered to here the piano return for this part, but I guess that may have made it too repetative.

But saying that, this is an excellent mix of a great track. It adds some more emotion to it, and would actually work probably work better than the original track in the game.

I LOVE the piano used in this track, and its always in my head now.I would have liked for the piano to come back later in the track, but it's still a great mix as it is.

I can't stop listening to this track! Excellent job Jivemaster.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow, that's all I can say. This is by far my favorite remix by Jivemaster. It has an excellent feel to it, it just seems to convey so much emotion. Probably even one of my favorite tracks on OCR. I've never heard the original unfortunately, but I love the feeling this song captures, even if it's not the one originally intended for the stage.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, I really dislike this remix. Hell, how is it a remix? He didn't even leave even a scent of the original melody at all, or any other main things from the song I can remember. I don't see how you people can hold things like this in such high praise. To me, remixes like this are like drowning a meal in ketchup towhere you can't even taste the original flavor anymore.

• 1 month later...

I love this one... the rain and thunder at the start really set the mood. The synth pads have a relaxing, dreamlike quality and the piano is beautiful in its simplicity. The drums are light and varied enough to keep things from getting boring. The guitar towards the end was a little surprising, but it works well, giving the song a slight edge towards the end without being too hard. The entire song seems to carry a feeling of calm self-reflection without making things become muddled or sleepy. Beautiful stuff.

Sorry, I really dislike this remix. Hell, how is it a remix? He didn't even leave even a scent of the original melody at all, or any other main things from the song I can remember. I don't see how you people can hold things like this in such high praise. To me, remixes like this are like drowning a meal in ketchup towhere you can't even taste the original flavor anymore.

Um, yeah. So your dislike stems solely from the fact that you can't recognise the original theme within... I wonder if you're not confusing the Genesis and Saturn versions? Here's a midi - if you can't pick out the same tune in both it and the remix, you must be deaf.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

[Mod Edit] Do not Share copyrighted material on this forum.

To drill the point that the original is very much in this remix, here are acts 1 and 2 in their original mp3 forms. It's clear Jivemaster was faithful to both acts.

I've always liked the originals. I agree they sound dated now but that's the reason why I like them. oldskoool. At the same time, I have an open mind and believe Jivemaster did a beautiful job here. He eliminated the groove completely and poured on the emotions. I feel.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I never thought that Jive was going to have the rain through the entire song, but I guess that I was mistaken. Good thing that he has waterproof equipment. :roll:

Anyhew, it was a little slow to begin with. The rain and the mellow synth got boring after a while, so it was a relief when I started to hear a beat building up followed by a piano sample. 2:14, that's when the it started to get a little serious, but there wasn't really a moment where it reached its climax and unleashed everything it got. Some new elements such as a synth around 3:00 and a dark electric guitar around 4:30 enlightened the situation so that it at least didn't get repetive.

I'm still amazed though, the remixes i've listened so far to that was from jivemaster has been very active and fast, so it comes like a surprise when I listen to such a calm and thoughtful arrangement like this one.

Nice work, trying something new should be something that we all should do from time to time. In this case, the result was good.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

EQwise, i think some of the high end of the percussion could be toned down a little, but it's a beautiful piece. I love the rain effects and the pads, and though the piano is a bit mechanical and sounds like the are hitting it with a sledgehammer, the melody is beautiful.

The ending was a little abrupt, but still this is pretty nice stuff, as long as you turn the volume way down. :-)

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Well, this track is really different from the other Joel's tracks, which are more energetic and techno-oriented, so it's a very nice change of pace. It surely sounds dated and the percussion seems to be out of place, but I really love the ambient atmosphere of this song. Love the cool breakdown @ 4:32, which kicks the things up a bit. Pretty good mix, considering its age :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00427 - Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) "Symphonic Ruin"