Goldenrod City Remix NEW AUDIO as of April 11

Newest Version(v3):

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=741

I changed the backbeat into proper key and made it quieter, as well as making a few minor timing adjustments, also changed ending synth into something more like original game audio, not that messed up sounding thing before. Not much of a change, but it sounds better(although still could be better in my opinion). Please leave feedback.

New revision:

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=736

By the way, I want to know if this seems like a good length for this song and if I should add anything else and if so what as I really don't know what else to add, and I need to swing the piano a little more as it isn't noticeable at all, but aside from that I feel that this is essentially done. The old post is underneath so you can still hear original, ignore text aside from the Name section as I need one. although I may call it the "Attitudes of a Golden town," does this seem like a good name? I also think I need to make the guitar drop out more naturally as opposed to this abruptness. I may not use the vibes, they don't seem to fit in with everything else, which stinks because I wanted to use them. Does the Backbeat(the short repetitive synth'ed rythym) fit, or do I need a different one(cause now it kind of seems like a replacement theme for lavender town)? and is said backbeat loud enough? I apologize about all these questions but I really need feedback, and do I need a louder sax, or a lighter(acoustic maybe) guitar? And with the almost done listed in original post, I was talking about the actual general song, not the other additions.

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=733

I am not done yet as I still need to add a Drum beat(unless you people like it the way it is now and feel the drum would ruin the song). I also feel i need to make the song a little longer. I am also lacking a name for my song, If anyone has a good idea please pass it out. I feel that this has come far enough to upload this now and get some feedback on this. So, tell me what you think.

And also, how long should I make this now that I have it mostly done?

Sorry, the image link thing died so now I just have a link.

very, very, very simple. i mean, i know it's the theme to a city, but you could REALLY go outside the box with this. . for example, soloing on this would be a great way to go, especially if you could add a piano line to it, as i think a piano would really fit the feel you were going for. piano fits in pretty much all city themes like this, and it makes it feel more casual and city-like...idk...hard to describe but i think you know what i mean.

When the sax comes in at 0:16, it feels either ahead or behind for some reason (i cant really tell) and a bit to loud, as it is the underlying melody. try to bring the other part out a bit more as to match volume. (i know the sax isnt really delayed or sped up, it just feels that way compared to the underlying theme.)

Overall its coming along, you just need to add to it to make it stronger and more "exciting" or interesting to listen to. no one really wants to listen to a simple little tune like that all day; no one really likes elevator music. lol you know what i mean; i dont mean to be overcritical, i jsut think you could really go further with this. so just keep working on it!

I like elevator music =(

Also, this is the classic case of 'this isn't a remix, it's a cover with no originality and lower quality than the original track'.

I'm no Mixer but anyone can tell you that you just need more. Experiment! Add a funky intro, a chill break in the middle, one extra note somewhere. Right now it's nothing, certainly not 'mostly done' (also it's only 45 seconds). Try listening to one of the Pokemon Remixes on here if that gives you a better idea of what kinds of experimentation people go with as an example.

sorry if I sound too harsh, I just want to get you on track for an excellent remix

How long should I make it, I am not good at judging ow a song should be length, that is why I submitted a short sample, I don't really know what to do here, would about 2 minutes be good? I want to add more but I don't know how to fit it in due to how I go about this kind of thing. That is why I need feedback, I am also not good at going outside the box but I will definitely do as much as I can without going overboard. I will try a Piano swing solo(a jazz swing, with a quiet Bassline, maybe add in a light Electric guitar to close) toward the end of my piece(so starting at about 1:15).

Expect an update sometime soon, probably today.

By the way, if I have time do a remix for every main route, town and area of Johto I may try beatmix them all together for everyone and release it somewhere(this would take a long time though, probably 6 months to a year in length)

I'm no Mixer but anyone can tell you that you just need more. Experiment! Add a funky intro, a chill break in the middle, one extra note somewhere. Right now it's nothing, certainly not 'mostly done' (also it's only 45 seconds). Try listening to one of the Pokemon Remixes on here if that gives you a better idea of what kinds of experimentation people go with as an example.

Agreed. It feels like it's lacking a background to me - like you just have one slender thread of thought here that you could flesh out and support with a separate background, if you know what I'm saying. More instrumentation might help, as might slowing down the tempo of the piece.

How long should I make it, I am not good at judging ow a song should be length, that is why I submitted a short sample, I don't really know what to do here, would about 2 minutes be good?

At least 2 1/2 minutes would be a fair length to aim for, I'd say. If you do decide to take my suggestion and slow the piece's tempo down a little, that won't be hard to reach, either - tack on an intro at the front, and have a second iteration with a variation in the melody in the back, and you'd be set for length.

How long should I make it, I am not good at judging ow a song should be length, that is why I submitted a short sample, I don't really know what to do here, would about 2 minutes be good?.... I will try a Piano swing solo(a jazz swing, with a quiet Bassline, maybe add in a light Electric guitar to close) toward the end of my piece(so starting at about 1:15).

yeah i think 2 1/2 to 3 minutes should be good. it does need a very solid background; i really like chordal tones, so if you could insert some on a casual instrument--like the vibes, lets say--that would be cool...also a more natural bass line would be nice. and i lvoe the idea of a swing piano solo! that would be really cool :) and if you decide to put in the electric guitar, make it really light...maybe even acoustic... :) hope it comes together!

I may use some chordal tones with vibes as I tested them alone and I feel they would sound great in my mix and I have decided that I will not have a drum as support, I will use a gameboy sounding backbeat instead relying on a few lower notes as I feel this would truly make this a good remix, and I have about 2 minutes of music now and will update as soon as I finish vibes and backbeat and add a break between piano and guitar with guitar then dropping out into original sample for a closing. Does this idea sound good?

I am going to use some chordal tones with vibes as I tested them alone and I feel they would sound great in my mix and I have decided that I will not have a drum as support, I will use a gameboy sounding backbeat instead relying on a few lower notes as I feel this would truly make this a good remix, and I have about 2 minutes of music now and will update as soon as I finish vibes and backbeat and add a break between piano and guitar with guitar then dropping out into original sample for a closing. Does this idea sound good?

sounds good :) cant wait

the background synth is not at all the right choice! it was way louder than the melody, and the note it plays is out of key! the key the goldenrod city song is in is concert Db, and the note you used is concert E, which is not in the key of Db. Bring it up a half step tho, and you'd be on the third of Db, which would work a lot of the time as a background. but also, make it WAAAAY quieter.

Thanks, I wasn't really thinking about transposing, I feel like an idiot, I just never really had to do it as I play trombone( a C is a C, no difference at all, s opposed to others)

well its not really about transposing, its about fitting the chord. you're a bass clef; idk how to read bass clef, but i think it reads pretty much the same as concert (the note names correspond to concert pitch)

Well, apparently that won't appen, I lost my work, I made an MP3 but I didn't save the other stuff. I may be able to find the WAV of it(that I had rendered) and Autotune to Db scale, but it may not sound good. It also seemed too loud to me as well, I will fix that if I can get my old audio first.

Well, apparently that won't appen, I lost my work, I made an MP3 but I didn't save the other stuff. I may be able to find the WAV of it(that I had rendered) and Autotune to Db scale, but it may not sound good. It also seemed too loud to me as well, I will fix that if I can get my old audio first.

couldnt you take what you saved to the sharing site? since it is your own work?

• 2 weeks later...

well for starters, the intro is off in its timing. and the intro sounds like a doorbell, so unless you want it to, i suggest changing it to something different and stronger. It also remains to be very bland with little to no musicality. You need to broaden the amounts of instruments in the intro, at most points you're just using a sax. try different instruments. add piano! it needs chordal tones! it needs a stronger bass! it NEEDS a DRUM BEAT! also, i don't really like the sudden octave jump of the 1st sax; you could hav the melody change to a diferent instrumetn for that part or something.

.....oh goodness. sorry im listening to this phrase by phrase. and my goodness it kind of crashed for a bit at the bass/piano entrance at :48. first, the timing is COMPLETELY off for the entrance of those instruments, and it keeps the piano and bass ahead of the melody by a few beats. It i terribly terribly clashy here; an absolute train wreck. the sound for the bass is absolutely atrocious: either bring it up an octave or so, or completely change its ambience or the bass all together. Oh i know, the bass is way too reverbish/echoey...so tone that down a ton. then when its just he bass and piano, teh bass overpowers the piano, and it is again bland. at about 1:10 i hear this really really weird alien ambient sound that is jsut weird and freaky. i really have no idea what it is, but it also clashes. and THEN it takes a solo at 1:44?!!? im sorry, but i must be frank and say that it isnt really a good choice at all. Its super pitchy, idk if thats on purpose or what, but it far from matches the feel of the song. and it makes it sound really sloppy.

Now on a more positive part: it starts sounding a bit "cooler at 1:56 with the guitar and (new)bass entrance. i really like the sound of that bass a lot better than the other one, and its actually in time now! overall i like that chorus a lot more...the instrumentation is a lot cooler there. i just think its sounds a bit better. of course it still needs chords and backgrounds and improvs and whatnot, and of course a DRUM LINE!!!!!!!! You could change the pitchy background synth to a cool chordal piano background, and that would make it sound a whole ton better....

AYY!! at the 2:43 entrance, ti becomes out of time again! NO!!!! i thought it would make it to the end without another train wreck like that!...but it settles out at the end....

Okay, so i know this is a whole ton to take in, and it may sound a bit critical, but im just telling you your mistakes so that you can fix them and make it a better piece! this piece has a really long way to go, but you can do it! I hope this suffices as feedback!

----THE ORIGINAL ONE