April is Support OCR Month 2010!

It's that time again, folks!

APRIL IS SUPPORT/APPRECIATE OCR MONTH!

Since last April, we've added about 7,000 registered visitors to the site, and we're still receiving hundreds of thousand of unique hits every month. That's pretty darn impressive :) We've had a great year, I don't think anyone can deny that. For those who didn't know, I unofficially declared April to be "Support OverClocked ReMix Month" a couple years ago, after hearing djpretzel privately venting some of his worry about site operating costs vs. funds. So after a forum post and some terrific support, we managed to raise about $2500 or so. If that wasn't impressive enough, last year we managed to double that figure! I've said it before and I'll say it again, many times: a huge thanks to every single person who helped to make that possible; I'm truly amazed, and djpretzel was truly humbled by your amazing support and encouragement.

It seems there's always good things happening here each year, with the past couple years bringing some notably exciting news. From the behemoth project that was Voices of the Lifestream to our most recent project release Serious Monkey Business and all the projects in-between (and those to come!), to the HD Remix soundtrack, to releasing original game soundtracks, to new composer interviews, to seeing an increase in original composer participation, to all the accolades that this community and its artists have received in the press and professional community, to having official representation at gatherings/events like MAGFest, PAX, Otakon, and many others, we've been keeping busy! Oh, and aside from now being in the OCR2000+ figures as far as individual ReMix releases go, our biggest news is still a secret - all I can tell you is that it will rock.

So anyway, you didn't come here to hear a bunch of exciting things about the site, you came to hear me whine about how we need your money! ;) Well, you guys rocked so hard last year that we're actually not in the dire straits that we've been in the past couple years, which is great. That being said, I will gladly reiterate that OCR is not a huge site funded by Bill Gates with inexhaustable resources - it's still a volunteer staff and a tremendously hard-working dude named David Lloyd who writes, codes, programs, administrates, fixes, moderates, maintains, posts, evaluates, and appraises music from his living room, and the site still costs a fair amount of money to stay operational each month. Any and all donations are definitely put to good use and will certainly help ensure that we not only continue what we've been doing, but expand and implement more and more cool stuff each year. And because he's just that awesome, Dave has set up all kinds of ways for you to contribute to our site if donating just isn't your thing. We not only have affiliate links through Amazon and Zzounds for you to make purchases on stuff you're going to buy anyway, but we have a store with cool merchandise like shirts, hoodies, and stickers! And finally there's the google ads, which if you happen to see a link to something you might be interested in, by all means, check it out! Couldn't be simpler!

That being said, PayPal donations are of course the most direct way to contribute to the site, and your humble contributions will not go unnoticed or unappreciated, no matter the amount. In years past, I've set a goal for us to aim for. This year, I'm trying something a bit different and not setting any goal or target at all. I'm simply asking as I always do, that if you spend lots of time on the site, if you appreciate the content that's provided to you at no charge, then consider throwing a dollar (or five or ten) this way. If you feel inclined to donate more, that's awesome, and I wish I had something more than words to offer as thanks, (I wanted to raffle some prizes last year as some small bonus means of thanks to those who contributed but unfortunately PayPal threw a fit) but I'm afraid our thanks is all we have. Thanks AND the promise that we'll keep working hard to provide you with awesome free content, and awesome music. I know I can speak for the staff in its entirety when I say that we appreciate the games, the music, and you.

-Big Giant Circles

Add this image to your signature and link it to this thread to help spread the word!

supportOCR2010sig.gif?t=1271307993

FAQS

Q: How/where do I donate?

A: Our PayPal link, which is also the "DONATE" link on the top left of the page.

Q: What if I don't have a Paypal account?

A: You don't need one. You can pay with a credit card.

Q: Will I receive recognition for my donation?

A: Sure, if you like, we'd love to thank you publicly. Please note your forum name in your PayPal donation. And if you are not a forum member, please register! We're not a bad bunch, stick around, make some new friends!

Q: I don't have the money right this minute--can I contribute later?

A: Absolutely. :)

Q: Can I just buy an OCR shirt/hoodie/stickers instead of donating?

A: Yes--every little bit helps. Donating is the most direct way to help, since we only get a percentage of merchandise sales, but any support we can get is still very much appreciated.

Q: How much money have we raised so far?

A: We'll tell you when the month is over. :)

Q: Are there any prizes involved?

A: No. we tried this last year, but PayPal deemed our offering prize incentives as part of this fundraiser a form of gambling, which violates their TOS. :(

Q: So are PayPal or store merchandise/affiliate links the only ways to support OCR?

A: See this link for more info.

Oh yeah. It is that time of the year again, isn't it? With any luck, I'll be getting a job sometime this month. If that happens, I'll definitely be throwing down some money for ol' OCR. For right now, though, I just gotta make sure I can pay my rent and buy food.

It would be kind of nice if OCAD could do a shoutout to any donators who name themselves. Make them feel a little more special...or dirty.

We'll read two lists:

One of the names of the peoples that what donated stuffs.

One of us making fun of the names of the peoples that what donated stuffs.

Sound good? Forward me the list when the month is over.

I just got my OCR t-shirt, I'm wearing it right now actually. I am new to posting here, but I've lurked around here for many years and I love the site. I hope I can support you guys in the future, when I have more to spare.

Is there anyway we can pay to request a remix? I think that would be pretty awesome.

I'll buy a T-Shirt and a hoodie when I lose a few ell bee's. I've got less than a year under my belt for this return. If I'm still here on August 15th, I'll donate some actual cash. Depends on if Teen Agent is released yet. :-) You know, because that will be the 1 year anniversary of when I started the project. The project which has had no movement for the last month. :-D

I just got my OCR t-shirt, I'm wearing it right now actually. I am new to posting here, but I've lurked around here for many years and I love the site. I hope I can support you guys in the future, when I have more to spare.

Is there anyway we can pay to request a remix? I think that would be pretty awesome.

Hey BGC, would this still count as gambling? Might be a cool fundraiser idea. See which remixers would be down to loan their talents to the people who donate to OCR.

Hey BGC, would this still count as gambling? Might be a cool fundraiser idea. See which remixers would be down to loan their talents to the people who donate to OCR.

I suppose that is a pretty cool idea. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm guessing it would not count as a form of gambling. Basically, a raffle means people are giving money in hopes that they'll get a prize, but not everyone will. As long as a specified service/prize is always received by the person who pays, I believe that's what separates gambling from purchasing.

That being said, I'm not quite sure PayPal doesn't have some ridiculous fine print about offering services and collecting fees or something. Maybe DJP can chime in on this whole matter. More later.

Also, somewhat of a side note, I'm having some slight problems with my eyes at the moment (nothing serious, just annoying and thankfully temporary), so I'll do my best to update the OP in a reasonable period of time, or otherwise get one of the Mods to do it, but bear with me if it takes a few days for your name to go up.

I suppose that is a pretty cool idea. I'm not 100% certain, but I'm guessing it would not count as a form of gambling. Basically, a raffle means people are giving money in hopes that they'll get a prize, but not everyone will. As long as a specified service/prize is always received by the person who pays, I believe that's what separates gambling from purchasing.

That being said, I'm not quite sure PayPal doesn't have some ridiculous fine print about offering services and collecting fees or something. Maybe DJP can chime in on this whole matter. More later.

Also, somewhat of a side note, I'm having some slight problems with my eyes at the moment (nothing serious, just annoying and thankfully temporary), so I'll do my best to update the OP in a reasonable period of time, or otherwise get one of the Mods to do it, but bear with me if it takes a few days for your name to go up.

Wasn't there something last year when there were prizes offered in a raffle, when PayPal shut down djp's account?