OCR02017 - Donkey Kong Country "Welcome Home, DK"

djpretzel

Wow. I like this. A lot. The way the song kind of goes from random-ambiance to a well put together mix is nice. I love the original source, and your take on it is great. I'm so used to the darker, harder take on this song that this laid back take is a nice refresher. Thanks for the mix!

Loved this. Not only was it an awesome take on a classic BGM, but it's been ages since I last played DKC, and this reminded me just how awesome the soundtrack was. It made me go and get the SPCs from DKC for old times' sake; I've now spent a considerable amount of time trying to rip samples from them intead of working. Thanks Blue Magic! :smile:

Instrumentation's a personality grab bag. The Jack-in-the-box lead adds a touch of innocence, backup strings like the cello and violin soften the mood, and the choir-like pad pairs with the chimes like a mystical echo. Drumwork comes in tap/clap/slap-happy varieties and is nourishing like whole wheat bread. Even timely effects like whirling winds and space warpage sweeten the action and facilitate transitions. Since the Js already tore into the tacky-sounding woodwinds, I'll just add that I think the guitar panned left could use a similar dose of TLC to make it sound more natural.

Arrangement's a devilish curveball. Here's a rough remix-source breakdown:

- The Jack-in-the-box synth and the piano+bell+guitar trio at 1:41 represent the fluffy, lonesome lead at 0:58 of Fear Factory (FF).

- The chimes (0:33, 1:24) play the role of FF's rising, rubbery lead at 0:43.

- The woodwinds at 1:08 and the stick-like percussion are a nod to the furtive 4-note echoes from the early stages (0:03/0:04) of FF.

Because the mix's order and structure are far removed from that of Fear Factory, it almost sounds like it's repeating key phrases in the hopes that the listener will stop and say "oh, now I recognize what that part is!" Many instruments add a little spin to their assigned roles, but it's the suave electronica synth at 2:30 that offers the most source-defying originality while giving the others a leader to look up to.

Looks like DK has nothing to fear from THIS factory. :nicework:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Excellent ReMix. Very different from the original and I never thought I'd hear it like this. Kinda weird, but I like the non-mechanical sounding Fear Factory. The flute somewhere in the beginning is a little meh, but aside from that, great stuff. Very ambient and pleasant take on my favorite DKC theme.

• 7 years later...

Been a huge fan of this one for a long time, actually! The first listen didn't grab my attention, though, but then every new listen made me appreciate this gem a bit more ;) I absolutely love the soothing blend of organic and electronic instrumentation, and this unusual approach to the source definitely deserves much more love. My favorite moments are certainly the lead change at 1:42, when the chorus kicks in, and the mellow synth solo at 2:32 - it really makes the jungle-y vibe a bit different, and this touch is welcome too! Oh, and I also forgot to mention the moody intro - those strings are very cool! And I guess the varied percussion deserves to be mentioned as well! Really good and creative work here, highly recommended! :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02017 - Donkey Kong Country "Welcome Home, DK"
  • 2 months later...