OCR01214 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Strip Mine"

djpretzel

Beatdrop has courage to make that introduction. Sounds like crazy, but isn't our lives made by that essence?

The leads are too acid, hot and great. Automation helps a lot there.

Drums maintain in incredible ways the original swing of the music.

Let's drop the bomb.

:wink:

I didn't like this too much. Like someone said, it's a bit too dirty. I dunno, maybe something's just wrong with my speakers, but going from one song with a pretty heavy bassdrum (enough to make my floor dance with it and my parents screaming from the below) this one just made my ears sore with all its high-end frequencies. Felt like chewing on sand (ever had salad that wasn't properly washed?). Also it didn't have the funny kinda feeling the original did, and I missed that. But that's just me. There appears to be tons of people here that liked it, so maybe I should just shut it, but everyone's free to comment...

This mix is awesome, full of energy. It has a little bit of breaks, euro, and hard house. Everything is loud and dirty, just the way I like electronic music. Synths get too loud in the higher pitches, but they are otherwise done well. The whole song actually reminds more of that carnival stage in Sonic 3, because of that second melody.

I personally really liked the tempo used throughout the entire song, and the variations in the melody were actualy quite interesting as far as Sonic 3 goes... What happens at 2:27 is actually a really cool piece and one of my favorite parts leading up to the finish. The whole thing played smoothly and I enjoyed the whole work.

Good job.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In it's own right it's a solid mix. Beatdrop really knows what he's doin. I enjoyed the sounds and beat , but it did feel like somethin sleazy that would be played in a strip club. I dunno that kinda felt weird to me. I prefer Malcos's mix but this one still stands well on its own 2 feet.Good sleazy stuff.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is by far my favorite OCR song. I heard it on my iPod the other day during a library shuffle and I was suprised by how good the song was...

There's a lot of stuff going on in this song and it all works perfectly. It sounds great played really loud and the instruments/samples chosen for this remix perfectly fit the setting.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gloriously busy and pinging with sonic energy. You really have to admire the intricacy of Beatdrop's sound. It fleshes out the rythmic and percussive elements of the source tenfold and superheats it until it's whitehot. Debatably, this is everything that Sonic music always should have been.

It may not be the friendliest mix, what with the squinking synths, multiple layers of percussion and a source tune I've always found quite unlikable, but there is a tonnage of enjoyment tightly packed in here if your ears are calloused and ready. Recommended for people who don't require their mixes clean and soft-spoken. This is how to make a lame tune awesome and then some.

• 2 months later...

Ouch, that synth at the very start is pretty piercing, it's over super fast though. Niiiiice beatwork and effects to start things off. Sounds like typical heavily distorted Beatdrop soundscape here. The melodic section at :58 actually felt a bit weaker than the surrounding passages (and also a bit like an FF7, passage interestingly enough). There's a lot of detail in all of the effects and parts here. Very cool new section at 1:30 - nicely contrasting everything around it. Great track here, worth hearing... several times.

Wow... That intro really stings the ears there..

It feels like it was composed of different tones of white noise to me. >.<

Meh...

All in all this is waaaaaaayyy too grating on my ears for me to like.

Still, the arrangement of the source is very nice, distinctive, and unique, but this just isn't the mix for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The over-the-top production on this one I think serves it well. Like Las Vegas itself, sometimes you just have to go so far that it goes beyond tacky/contrived and becomes brilliant.

The high-frequencies in this I think trigger some sort of fight-or-flight type response in me that results in increased heart rate and adrenaline, and make me more alert and prone to dancing. Probably why Emunator likes to kick ass on Smash Bros to this tune as well. As such, I think this polarises the listeners into 2 groups, those who want to fight/dance to it, and those who would rather run away and never listen again.

• 1 year later...

The technology for making ReMixes evolved relatively fast. While not without their merits, Deep Damp Sandcastle and Strip Mine are perfect examples of those rare types of ReMixes from more than 1,000 catalogue numbers ago that haven't stood the test of time. As always, that's the exception, not the norm with ReMixes between 2003 and 2005. The consistency of O-Clocked's music hiked in 2006, a year and a half after this track was posted.

• 3 years later...

- I like how this extracts and plays with the source's bass melody first (0:24) - it's a clever and natural way to warm up, set the tone, and glean some extra mileage out of the song.

- When Mystic Cave's higher-key melody enters (0:56), its staccato adaptation creates a tug-of-war between the notes played, like they're saying "This! No, this! No, this! (etc.)" Fun little bit.

- While most of the activity-heavy sections add to the strip club vibe going on, the "haunted carnival" parts sound like... well, a haunted carnival still, not a strip club. Not that that's a bad thing - though they stand apart in imagery/tone, they're seamlessly linked with the "rough and tumble" ride that is the rest of the mix. So when I'm not visualizing gyrating hips and pulled G-strings, I'm still grooving with the snappy synthwork and dirty drumwork.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01214 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 "Strip Mine"