ReMixer Name: Aether Oxide

Email: bensteed@rocketmail.com

UserID: 31345

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy VII

Name of individual song(s) arranged:

-J-E-N-O-V-A

-Listen To The Cries Of The Planet

Comments:

I wanted to give my remix a gothic element to it, as well as adding my own glitchy flavours to the mix. I enjoy fusing several genres together and it's kind of become my trademark as it appears in a lot of my music, including this mix.

sources-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KXiVBA7svc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laOM3UwIXBA

Interesting blend of styles in this. The harpsichord and strings could have used more humanization, but in a loop-based song like this it's easier to overlook. I loved the way they mixed with the distorted elements, great mood that felt totally cohesive. Groove change was unexpected but not unwelcome. The glitchy stuff was cool too but I felt like there was an overreliance on it rather than letting the song progress. If you remove the song from the glitch stuff, it's very static, and messing with the song didn't really make up for it. I would have liked at least one section that handled the song differently, maybe a chord change coupled with the beat dropping out and the strings being more prominent. Really, there's a lot of directions you can take this, and I think you need to take some of them.

NO (resubmit)

Palpable hit this one on the head. The effects you have, like the glitchiness, are pretty cool, but if you remove that stuff, the song is really not developing or going anywhere. Right now I feel like there's a beginning and a middle, but not and ending. I was totally expecting the song to open up into another section, but it just finished. You need to figure out how you want the song to progress, so that it can come back down to an ending, if that makes sense.

I'm a little confused why you have the J-E-N-O-V-A (that is very annoying to type) cameo in the beginning, without it really coming back anywhere else. I'd love to see it further on in the song, so that it feels more like a part of the song than something just added on for giggles.

The glitchiness is pretty cool, although I think just a little overused at times. I think if this were expanded so that you're not using all your moves at once it would have more of an effect. Aside from that, the beginning right now is the biggest section I'd look at. Things are very harsh and stiff, which isn't allowing for the contrast I think you're going for with the glitchy section.

Take a look at your arrangement and get a little more development and I'd like to hear this one again. NO (resubmit)

The writing and interpretation in the first half are really simple, just adding more loops on top of what's there. The writing changes a little later, but it's hard to tell because none of the instruments are balanced well, so they all blend into each other into a bit of a mess. The change to the uptempo second half was a good idea, and helps keep things from getting too stagnant, but the writing is even simpler than the first half's. The glitch effects do help a little bit.

Overall, there just really isn't a whole lot of development. I'd like to see more interpretation of the source than just repeating the same loops ad infinitum, with an occasional change. The strings could definitely be humanized more, but my biggest complaint is definitely in the mixing. The guitar in the first half and drone in the second half in particular eat up a ton of space. The arrangement concept is interesting; just work on the execution.

NO