OCR02107 - *YES* Donkey Kong Country 2 'This Chase Is Haunted'

OceansAndrew

Song Name: This Chase is Haunted

Remixer Name: Prince of Darkness

E-mail: tony@tonydickinson.net

Userid: 24705

Name of Game: Donkey Kong Country 2

Name of Original Song: Haunted Chase

Here’s my remix of Haunted Chase from DKC2 for the DKC2 Project. This submission is a bit late considering at this time I believe the project is set to be released soon. Oh well! Arranging this song was a bit different, because there really wasn’t much for me to go off of. The source stays around a central theme pretty heavily and I had to add a bit of original work just so the song wasn’t ridiculously short.

source:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX88hG5FPdw

Arrangement-wise and production-wise, it's hard to find fault with this. Hard-hitting, dynamic, clean, great performance - pretty much everything one could hope for in a guitar+synth arrangement. I'm not even that big a fan of the original track, but this really kicks life into it. The first listen through I wasn't picking up all the source usage, and you've got some chunks of this that are original (that kick ass, btw), but upon closer listen you're definitely over the bar. Keep bringing rock to the masses, Tony.

YES

Nice one. The source doesn't really have a whole lot going for it, but you did a pretty rockin' job expanding on it by using it in different ways and adding original material. I liked that moment at 1:32 when the source riff switches guitars, completely different feel.

Production is pretty clean in general. The synths tend to get lost in the rhythm guitar and percussion, and I wish they they were a bit more prominent, especially the solo at 2:05, but other than that, good job. Easy call, enjoy your

YES

Very nice expansion of the feel and anxiety of the original, while still just overall rockin' it. I had no problem making the connection to the source, but there's plenty of original material to liven things up.

I agree with CHz that the synth solo gets a little overpowered occasionally, like during the solo, but it's still pretty clear. Other than that everything is clean and nicely done.

Cool track. YES