OCR00428 - Super Mario Bros. "8-bit Eighties"

Ginnsu

Super Mario Bros. '8-bit Eighties'

Almost all of these mixes that I've been and will be reviewing, I've heard before (and then lost due to hard drive formatting), but this is one of the few that really sticks in my mind because it’s so memorable. Injury (a. k. a. Starla) gives this mix some very interesting lyrics that I can’t seem to forget. Just maybe it’s because of that take on Toni Basil’s song titled `Oh Mickey`. Anyways, grab this one regardless of whether you like 80’s music, or Super Mario Bros. It’s worth the time travel trip either way.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Ugh. Everyone's applauding a song I don't enjoy at all. Though you could argue the lyrics make this original and different, then I guess I'm not that interested in originality after all. The lyrics quickly lose their novelty and I usually lose interest before the song is over, you know with the incredibly annoying melody BLARING in the background. Wait, did I just call a classic video game tune "incredibly annoying"??? AHHHH KILL ME :evil: 2/8

• 5 months later...

Hahaha.

Well, what can be said? It's an eighties mix of the Underground theme.

That's right, bad synths and all!

This remix would just be another one in the pile if it weren't for the funny and amusing vocals of a girl sort of singing-talking about how much she likes Mario.

It won't blow you away, but the vocals make it worth your time to listen to. And the fact that it's eighties style, which, although not that great for synths (IMO), it still has some sort of charm that can't be ignored.

• 4 months later...

I couldn't help it. I started cracking up and laughing when I heard the vocals. SO 80's like. And when I heard "Mario, Mario, you're so fine ..." I busted out laughing.

The normal beat, though. That sounds right from Ghettoblasters for the commodore 64. One of the songs you blast in the game. Soooo familiar. It's interesting to guess where some sound affects/beats come from. I wonder ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

lol, when i first heard this, i thought of big hair and 80s synths. then when i heard Starla talk i was like, wow... lol, she has that cute voice, but it makes a big impact in a song. u cant take ur mind off it. at least for me. it really brought me back to the sounds of the 80s pop. lol, hilarious but also a great song.

• 1 year later...

"He's such a gentleman" :<

Hilarious lyrics and a pretty accurate arrangement, the only part that didn't strike me as being true to the 80's was the double-time section, but it worked with the song. I really liked the 1-1 snippets as counterpoint, nice touch.

I thought the vocals were a little too far back in the mix in some areas, and too prominent in others, but the effects applied were sufficiently 80's for me.

Not something i'd listen to frequently, but it was super enthusiastic and cheeky, and it made me smile. :-)

• 7 months later...

Way to go retro Mario! haha, i got such good laugh outta this mix, a wave of 80's-ness just rushed into my head, and ya know what? it felt damn good.

Every aspect of the mix just kept bringin back 80s cheese, right down to that common synthesized sound that when u hear while watchin a movie...u don't even need to guess when it was made...

Great mix, does what it sets out to do, and the title/track can't get anymore appropriate then that!

• 4 months later...

Another mix discovered thanks to the "missing lyrics" thread, hehe. I'm enjoying this a lot. I find those vocals *great*. Very well used effects on them. They're a bit too buried in the mix. I think overall the mixing is lacking - the sounds don't mesh and sound mostly "straight from the can", and especially the bass instruments sound "all over the place". It's not too bad, just quite unpolished.

Many of the sound choices are pretty good in themselves, the harsh snare percussion for instance (a bit too harsh on the ears), and the 80s keyboard that first comes in at 00:08. I also like the figure that it plays. Other arranging is good as well, and supports the chosen genre/style well. I'm not sure if the structure/pacing is the best, it's a bit on the long side for instance.

Also, this piece reminds me of Yellow Magic Orchestra, which is always a plus! Even with it's flaws It's a keeper.

--Eino

• 7 months later...

This is one of those mixes where if certain elements of it were done really well, it wouldn't be half as good. The fact that everything (except the arrangement) is just a little bit shit is actually quite charming and often introspective in a way.

Can we view the lyrics as an almost illiterate schoolgirl's infatuation with a videogame character, or is it more a satire on the degredation of youth and society in the face of technological change and virtual escapism? I like the latter perspective.

While I think the vocals are nothing special, it sounds like that is in most part due to how far back they were, and also because this isn't a regular singing piece. injury has a much better showcase of her vocal talents in other mixes.

The arrangement on a very known, very simple theme was really well handled, surprisingly well handled in light of the lack of effort to be wholly serious in other aspects of the mix. But like I said, the camp value of this is worth more to me if it tried to be better than it could have been. It's an interesting ride through Madonna-esque territory.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally! We have the lyrics to this! Yay!

But this is totally rad and bombin' mad cool, yo!

I really like the influences from Hey, Mickey, and how the sources are layered with the minimal techno beats plus Starla's vocals. It just works well. There's also just a cute charming kitsch value to it all, especially in the 80's teen girl-esque pining over Mario in the lyrics. While I definitely wouldn't describe this as serious, it doesn't really need to be. It's just pure, happy-go-lucky fun times.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00428 - Super Mario Bros. "8-bit Eighties"