OCR01218 - Guardian Legend "Red Spiders"

djpretzel

Wow.

I've never heard anything like this before. I didn't quite believe Pretzel when he said this was something NEW... but it really is. The closest thing I can really compare it to is the megaman "Break the Beat in Half - Extra Pie Mix" which really isn't the same style at all, although it may have a slightly familiar philosophy in that it keeps jumping around. And besides, this mix is of better quality, I think.

While I'm a really big orchestral fan, and I'd love to hear a full mix done on one or two of the sections in this (specifically :45 to :50, for example.. 1:05-1:10, and there were a couple other similar sections as well) this mix is something very VERY original. As I mentioned, I've never heard anything quite like it. One could wish it were slightly longer, but then, this does communicate it's music quite well, and anything further would have to break even more new territory-- this bit has indeed been adquetely developed. So good job there. I'm only asking for more length because I'm a greedy bastard who, when given something good, wants more goodness.

Good work, well done! Hope to hear more from you in the future!

Well I liked the beat, higher quality could be nice cos some sounds really shine. The only thing, I can't saywhen I hear this song in the game. I got 6 songs from the original soundtrack, maybe I missed some.

But for a game no one was talking about in the days, it rules.

Track 15 of 68 on the provided NSF file, FYI.

Uhhhhhh.... ok. It's like MIDI-based turntablism... or a hybrid of turntablism and casiocore with a.... uhhhh... yeah.

Ok. Um. Yeah. To me this really ... uh... ok, damn it. I'm lost for words. But it gave me a few ideas, none the less.

interesting mix, although it felt scrambled together with no clear objective. tried some interesting things here and there, and made do with the material.

only objection i have is the fact that there is no intro, and just thrusts you into the song.

on repeat it sounds really awkward because of that.

• 1 month later...

This is good and original, I like it. I cant keep this on my playlist, though. I dont know why but it would get annoying on a playlist. However, its a very original mix none-the-less and theres no better game to remix imo than Guardian Legend. $$

7/10

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This mix isn't what I call great, but the samples and the execution of it are done nicely.

The string stab chords between 1:37 and 1:40 are messed up....just like alot of this mix. I enjoyed how the synths are rearranged, but the composition itself goes all over the place and is very hard to follow. :?

Sorry. Not my thing, but I'll keep an open mind when I see your next mix.

• 2 years later...

Ah come on, what the hell is this doing on the last page of Reviews? This is some straight up gold. It's also the last mix posted before I joined the panel, just to put it in some time-related context.

Having seen Sam become one of the more popular arrangers within the community in the last few years, I'm just surprised his first mix around here doesn't get more attention.

So back in the day when I'd never heard of Sam, this mix definitely came out of left field. If I recall right, Prot bitched about the piece not being developed enough. Maybe when you first hear it, sure. What I liked about this, however, was that Sam was so effective in varying the style of each verse that the track felt like a much longer, much more fleshed out piece of music. It actually says a lot in a short amount of time.

• 7 months later...

Okay, so, I like this remix. It's very original, very different. I like you use such a simple little melody in about a billion different ways. It's really trippy and a lot of fun.

However, this isn't my favorite... something about it I can't quite put my finger on... I am not terribly fond of the ending, for one thing. I suppose it would be hard to end the wild crazy ride anyway, but I'm not digging that ending.

• 3 months later...

Harcore VS. Casual right here, folks.

What I love about a lot of Sam's work is that you frequently need to listen a few times to even begin to figure out what is going on. Usually it's pretty rich in random visual imagery as well. Sometimes he has hooks in plain sight, and sometimes they are a bit more difficult to find, like in this track. Part of it may the underdeveloped transitions.

The amount of interpretation here is great, and things never stay static, though I am not really a fan of the weak transitions, as they don't flow at all. It's like there was this huge rush to show off all the sections, and thus not enough time was spent on each. The sections come in fully-formed, and evolve later on in the track, but not in a linear way. The fact that the beat comes and goes is a bit baffling as well. This is more like a remix quilt than anything, which is pretty cool and unique, but really makes it a high barrier to get over to enjoy the music.

The sounds used are pretty cool, super lofi synths and pretty nice orchestra samples give it a very unique duality. Sort of like like a planet with lots of spread out highly technological cities spread out, with organic wilderness separating them.

Overall a cool and interesting track, but don't expect to like it at first. It's one that will take awhile to grow on you.

• 1 year later...

Despite being pretty out there, and probably clashing with the expectations of someone who is after a bit more of a refined listen, I actually believe this is one of the most accessible Shnabubula tracks. It's almost like a Mazedude track for me. And that is in no way a bad thing, obviously.

The backing orchestral stuff is absolutely brilliant, and totally unexpected. The cliche "This is something you've never heard before" really rubs me up the wrong way, but for this I have to make an exception. It's quite a unique blend of elements.

Far too short though, and the ending is one of the most abrupt in recent memory. But these are minor gripes to have when the mix in question is so damn cool and interesting. Kudos.

• 9 months later...

I remember seeing this on the front page when it was posted, and just downloading it because I thought "Shnabubula" was a funny name. I was pretty blown away, like another world had opened up. I didn't find this difficult either - I definitely had a visceral reaction to it, like I had discovered a new band that I knew I would an avid fan of from then on. It's like, one of those things you always wanted to hear but weren't aware of that fact until you actually hear it. It's the reason I keep trying to listen to mixes by new artists on this site, hoping that I'm gonna discover another gem like this. But that hasn't happened.

Just the self-contained completeness of this song, despite the fact that it's only like 2 minutes long. Some of the ideas may seem pretty silly and tossed-off compared to a lot of Sam's other mixes, maybe, but I still like it a lot.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01218 - Guardian Legend "Red Spiders"