OCR01226 - *YES* Chrono Trigger 'Rhodes to the Past'

djpretzel

Stronger on sound than arrangement, but not too shabby on either... -djp

whoops, here's the link again, i accidentally deleted it a little while back.

-Fatty

Quoting djpretzel <djpretzel@vacoxmail.com>:

> 404 currently.

>

>

> -djp

>

> _____

>

> From: Joseph Liao [mailto:jliao@MIT.EDU]

> Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 1:18 AM

> To: submissions@overclocked.org

> Subject: my oVeRcLoCkEd submission ^^

>

>

> hey, what's up, this is my remix. hope u enjoy!

>

> Title: Chrono Trigger Rhodes to the Past OC ReMix

> Artist: Fatty Acid

> Year: 2004

> Original Composer(s): Yasunori Mitsuda

> Copyright: Squaresoft

> Year: 1995

> System: SNES

>

> u can find it here:

MIT...i wonder if i know the guy.

I really enjoy the rhythm section, which is good, because that's pretty much the most creative part of the remix.

It remains chill all the way through, but nothing ever repeats exactly. the melody gets more interesting, the rhythm section undergoes some significant transitions.

All-around a very slick and well-produced piece, if not the most over-the-top arrangement.

YES

Intro's not overly engaging; it's actually pretty chill here, but oh man, as soon as you hit 0:11, we've got some phat b33tz [/Wingless]. The "Wind Scene" melody coming in at 0:46 is rather cheesy. It almost doesn't fit the power of these beats, but you quickly get used to it. Up until 0:51, I really liked the subtle levels your strings were at, providing some support and keeping the presence of sound constant while not cluttering up the space.

Decent addition of the countermelody at 1:57 (since I heard those notes drop out really quickly instead of fading down), along with the next section after the chorus from the original at 2:19. I wish there was more rearrangement than just your intro and outro which were both rather flat, along with the ending also coming about too abruptly.

The Rhodes-led groove is impressive, and I enjoyed the atmosphere created with your noticeable instrumental additions to the source tune. I just need a little more ReMix-level substance than briefly bookending the piece with rearranged material, especially since this is a Chrono Trigger mix. It takes a lot for me to be enthusiastic about a genre adaptation piece, so this is almost at the line. Who knows, I might be the only NO; if this makes it though, I'd have nothing but good things to say about it. Another one I wouldn't think twice about playing on my show that's a genuine keeper.

NO (so so borderline)

I like the rhode chords, but aside from that, this is just a cover. Everything is simplified, and concentration is definately on soundquality. Drums have pretty cool compression that makes me wanna ... go try somethings right now.. but I'll finish first here.

I'm not hearing anything but a cover here. accompany changes slightly towards the beginning, but later on its pretty much verbatim. Towards the end some variation comes in, really nothing specially. This mix was pretty much like an intro to a more interesting song. Pretty short-lived at 3:30, and a meh ending.

Whole thing sounds nice and chill, but does not seem to want to make it over that bar.

NO

This is tricky. This is no mere cover, there is actual arrangement here, and it's quite good, to a point. Unfortunately it is too conservative an approach, but what is here is interesting. More arrangement is necessary. I would at least change some of the structure and form later on or in the middle to variate more from the original. I'm really torn, as I like what you've added. But a bit more is needed.

Everything else is very nice. I wish you would consider revisiting this and resubmitting.

NO, for now.

Argh, so torn...

Okay, so it's more than a cover, but there's not that much arrangement going on here. The sound and texture is really nice, so the mixer gets major points for that. Like Prot said, cool compression stuff on the drums.

I can hear a lot of the parts from the original; not just the melody, but also some of the countermelody stuff. You gotta watch out for this kind of thing.

I do feel however, that there's a lot of skill shown in the mixing aspect. Whole thing sounds really clear and clean. Percussion exhibits very tight beats, and the rhodes stuff is great.

I think that while this song doesn't have the most amazing thinking-outside-the-box arrangement, there's a lot of personality put into it that presents the material in a fresh and interesting way. The strong execution balances out the less-than-amazing concept.

YES

No, No, No, No...I will not have mindless simplicity-bashing. Not on my watch.

There are ways to make music interesting without utilizing a 12-tone scale based on the ratio of cornflakes to coco puffs in your neighborough-hood general store.

As I have stated before with certain hiphop arrangements, simplicity must be used effectively to maintain any kind of musical interest. There is not always a need to modify the melody into a mutated beast of its former self.

This track builds well, sustains a groove worthy of the highest paid jiggity-jivers in the whole damn town, and does enough breakdowns and mix-ups to keep it all jivin' without too much looping.

There are subtle melodic mix-ups in the sine-wave lead that absolutely fit the new form of the tune in the best way. The way the rhodes and synth-a-plucks complement the chord changes runs chills down my spine. VERY well done.

This is a textbook example of instrumentation and style adding enough to a track to look past the less-than-revolutionary arrangement.

Absolutely. I will personally poop on any judge's lawn who rejects this.

YES

-D

*cough* So, getting back ON TRACK...

I like this groove. Yes it is simplistic, but that is part of it's laid back feel. The one thing that makes this borderline for me is that all the little bits from the original are in here, like ALL those little background bits.

This mix definitely has a nice sound, and groove.

I can hear Reason...

YES

A very borderline call due to no overt modifications to progression or melody, but enough changes to instrumentation, added sound texture, and subtle compositional additions to be acceptable.

Doesn't help that this is a melody that anyone who's anyone knows by heart, but we neither make allowances nor penalize for source material.