OCR02019 - Super Mario Land 2 "Seizing the Castle"

djpretzel

There are too many great tracks in this game that I think are very much ignored at large, so I am glad to see it getting some love.

This is a great track to a balls-hard final level (the single hardest level in the game), and the remix really makes it into something funky and cool.

Now we just need a Star Zone remix!

There are too many great tracks in this game that I think are very much ignored at large, so I am glad to see it getting some love.

This is a great track to a balls-hard final level (the single hardest level in the game), and the remix really makes it into something funky and cool.

Now we just need a Star Zone remix!

Willrock actually made one, but it wasn't accepted on this site :-o Maybe if he wanted to re-work this mix?

Starting with an influential operatic organ, the arrangement focuses on the first 4 notes of the source and what possible lead-outs feel natural and expansive. By encouraging most leads to try out this tactic (and in different keys), the mix essentially builds off its own ideas for maximum maturity. Outside the 4-note expansion craze, the trumpet quotes 0:15 of the source and the wailing guitar (love its 3 separate tones) echoes 0:53 of Wario's Castle in an altered note-timing fashion. Accompanying these two leads and others is a spacy, arpeggio-y synth that acts as a countermelody first and a breathing, transporting sound second. Other players that aren't major spotlight hoggers are cleanly processed, including the grimy bass synth in the beginning and the cymbal that's as head-bangingly active as a shaker. All the while, Earthbound-ish drums are distinct and craft their own beat variations whenever they feel. Even the smooth outro packs an edge, warning the listener not to let their guard down just cuz the mix is ending.

Definitely a castle worth seizing. :nicework:

Willrock actually made one, but it wasn't accepted on this site :-o Maybe if he wanted to re-work this mix?

I still could do I guess :P

I do believe BGC told me he would see me banned forever if I didn't resub it... I haven't resubbed it yet... :lol:

Also, LT quote from the judges decision :P

The guitar solo at 1:52 was decent, but the sample was pretty exposed and didn't sound realistic. That was the first time I've heard you sequence a electric guitar in the context of it needing to sound authentic, which is a good risk to try; not terrible, but keep at it.

The guitar was actually PLAYED by me. No sequencing.

Larry-bot fail :D

<3 you really

The guitar solo at 1:52 was decent, but the sample was pretty exposed and didn't sound realistic. That was the first time I've heard you sequence a electric guitar in the context of it needing to sound authentic, which is a good risk to try; not terrible, but keep at it.

As willrock said

LARRY FAIL

Willrock can play guitar, dude.

Here's my full review as promised.

Willrock is an interesting character. He takes alot of genres to different novel levels in his music. This one's more of a rock that's more of a groove than a smack in the face which is a nice switch. There's definately Castlevania sound and a bit of Zelda LA's Tal Tal Mountain at 0:26. The 303-ish bass is an interesting insert with the organ and a kind of chiptunish sound for the bass. I like the lead synth at 1:04 as it's got a very saxy (or sexy) kind of sound that works well with the organ and synth basslines. At 1:39, things get going good in terms of the arrangement and a solo guitar 1:52 really brings out the emotion of the entire feel of Mario having a hard time in the castle. 2:45 and onward though, I just couldn't get into it, but at the ending is where a good smackdown comes in as well as the snare/crash combination which works as a superb move.

To conclude for some odd reason, this isn't something I'd have on repeat over and over. It just doesn't appeal to me even though synth rock is a beautiful genre, especially if you did a Mario track with a Castlevania type sound. I guess I'm just used to Konami making my pulse go during an epic 2D level while listening to a great track. What I'll do is give a 8/10 since it's got some great arrangement qualities as well as excellent instrument choices, however, I'd love to hear more of Willrock's work before I give better reviews on his stuff.

8/10

Definitely hearing the Castlevania connection once the organ comes in at 0:32. Nice synth following up, and the guitar adds that delicious extra-layer of 80's cheese.

My only complaint is that everything until 1:36 sounds like an intro; I guess it's because the song just doesn't get a beat going; in my opinion, the beat in the background sounds like it's holding back the remix from starting for real.

The drums' hollowness is actually a good thing in my book, adds to the feel of it. Come to think of it, they remind me of the drums in Castlevania: SotN, "Final Toccata"... looking it up... at around the 4:15 mark in that song. So yeah.

I also really like that low baseline synth in this. A good spot to hear what I'm talking about is 0:36. Actually this whole thing reminds me of the main theme song for Legacy of Kain, Soul Reaver as much (more?) than it does Castlevania. Doubly awesome.

The only thing that I'm meh about is the electric guitar. It just sounds too... high in pitch and heavily processed, given the other sounds surrounding it. It doesn't balance out. Balance of high and low pitched sounds is a big deal imo, and that balance is so neatly found in the first minute of this song, the rest of the song is... well, it's too good to be a letdown, but it's not up to par with the first minute of the song.

Regardless, good stuff, definitely a keeper!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This does remind me quite a lot of Castlevania. Great concept for Wario's Castle. And of course Willrock's guitar play is sweet. This ReMix is nice and dark, with plenty of organs and guitar, just the way I like it. Love the ending as well. Definitely going to snag this one for my playlist.

• 3 years later...

Gotta agree, this tune has that dark Castlevania vibe for sure. Usually, I don't expect Will's to be as gloomy and downbeat as here, so this track surprised me a lot when I listened to it for the first time. The gritty organ solos, the incredible shreddage, the pounding drums - everything here just makes you think about some old creepy castle. Very sweet!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02019 - Super Mario Land 2 "Seizing the Castle"