*NO* Halo 'Master and Chief'

djpretzel

DJP,

*smacks head*

honestly, i'm not sure why it's not showing up. That has been the link i've always used, but i've got a few spare backups...

I guess my bandwidth had skyrocketed and in my massive frenzy to unload my drive, I believe I deleted that one on accident.

Anyway, sorry for the delay on the reply to this email. I've been out of town in since last Wednesday. (june 23rd)

aGain, hope you enjoy it!

/justin

> 404 currently.

>

>

> -djp

>

> _____

>

> From: Justin R. Durban [mailto:justin@allmediastudios.com]

> Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 5:02 PM

> To: submissions@overclocked.org

> Subject: Edgen - "HALO - Master and Chief"

>

> OCR.

>

>

> Hey there! Well, here I am.. Trying yet again and hopefully this time

> my new track will make the marks necessary to make it to the OCR remix

> site. :-)

>

>

> "Master and Chief"

> by: Justin R. Durban

> www.edgen.com <http://www.edgen.com/>

> 192 KBS - 2:11 - 3.0 MB

> Original Score by "Marty O'Donnell"

>

> A description of the track... its fast paced with the theme interweaved.

> Hope you like it !! :-)

>

> Cheers!

> /j

Right out tha motha-fuggin' gate, I'm loving this song. (which is so rare... I fear a may cry :cry: )

I really enjoy the liberal interpretation of what I can only assume is the main theme (I have the OST, so you can't pull nothing past me). I think some, maybe many, would argue, "Hey! Where's the Halo music?". Personally, I commend you on not going through the note-by-note arrangement. We're going to get alot of Halo songs in the mail , and doubtless, they will all go the same route of tried-and-true. This song is unique. You can hear the remixer's work intermingling, working together with the original material. Again, a supreme rarity for this judge's ear.

Samples sound good. Nice pacing and flow. Obvious competency in arrangement. The only real obstacle I can see is my other compatriots debating whether this is 'Halo' enough to qualify as a remix. But then again, we've had mixes push the edge time and time again. I have high hopes this will pass.

So I will do my part.

YES

I've got no problem with the length of the mix at all. It's short and sweet, but more importantly I felt there was a great amount of progression with the ideas presented here in the 2 minutes. Everything's pretty epic (and non-repetitive) here and it actually felt like a longer composition. If my main man Wingle says it passes the rearrangement litmus test, then I'm down. Even though I wasn't on the panel a few months ago, this one's a much easier decision to get behind than "en Terra" was.

YES

Damn. I'm afraid Danny B below has it stated pretty well. I definitely heard the stylistic influence of Halo once I fired up the original material. Some of the vox is there, and the drum patterns have the same tempo and style, but nothing in the submission really follows any source tune progressions here. It felt like everything was inspired by 1:09 to 1:59, but this definitely doesn't fit the standards. This would be excellent original game music for, I dunno, Halo III. :-)

One thing I've observed about Justin that I like is that he's had both hits and misses with the submission process here yet, at least from what I've seen, he hasn't let any of the misses simply deter him from submitting more material. Personally I look forward to hearing what he'll offer next. I'm sure it'll have a more overt and direct connection to the source material I'll be down with.

NO

What this is is a new track for a hidden level on Halo. There are very small, subtle nuances to existing Halo tunes, but not enough to constitute this as a rearrangement from the game.

Much like the very well done System Shock 2 ReMix I had to put down, a remix inspired by the music of a game does not an OC ReMix make.

Incredible, epic and cleanly produced, but the guidelines need to sideline this one.

Sorry.

NO

-D