OCR front page containing "teasers" for the music?

Arcana

If there was a way to insert one-line teasers for new remixes on the front page, they may draw more hits.

I just noticed is that I often gloss over remixes on the OCR Front page. I see them but usually I don't click on them unless it's from a game I like or from an artist I know.

However, I then go onto Facebook and then I see a sweet teasing description for the track. For example:

"If they made a Wolfenstein 3D movie and managed not to screw it up, this would be the perfect music!"

And of course I then think... "Film score? Cool!" So then I click and download it.

Do you guys think it would be beneficial to have those one-line teasers somehow replicated or shown somewhere on the front page with the remix that's posted?

I visit this site a lot simply for the forums so it makes me wonder when the one-line Facebook messages makes me want to download music more than the OCR front page does.

Even if we'd only use comments from writeups and reviews someone would still have to go through them all, either add everything or ok/reject submitted taglines. It's a lot of work, but if there's someone the staff sees fit to do it it's a good idea.

I think it would just be going forward, to catch your attention for the latest mix, not for posted mixes. Either Dave or Larry is already coming up with these for FB, so if there was a place to put them on the site, it seems like a cool idea. The tricky thing would be finding that place...

Would have to figure out a way to integrate that info, but doesn't sound like a bad idea. Just not sure how it would work with the front page.

Well, technology-wise, if you post all of the messages using Facebook or Twitter, presumably you'd be able to use the appropriate Facebook API or Twitter API and suck all of the info down from those services.

Or, if you wanted to go about it from another way, you'd set up OCR such that when you moved a new ReMix to the front page, it would have a field that says, "Teaser". When you submit it, it automatically stores the teaser in the database, but also sends the message to Facebook and Twitter automatically (using the appropriate API services). It would be like writing your own customized "Twitter" application.

From a stylistic point of view though, I don't know where you'd put the info. Maybe beneath the date and the remixer's name, you can add that one line of text? Or, between the top rotating image-news thing and the Forum discussion, put a box with the "five most recent mixes"?

As an aside, I think that the OCR front page is a bit strange in that the remixes appear to attract much less attention overall than, for example, the "Community Discussion topics". They're a bit off to the side and stuff.

The principle of the idea is good. Dunno how practical it would be, but a simpler answer that could be automated is the genre/moods/instrumentations showing when you hover over the ReMix name on the front page. But it all comes down to practicality and whether or not it would actually look good in practice, which I'm not sure of.

It might be a nice touch, but I don't see a whole lot of point.

Besides, if I heard a tagline stating "If they made a Wolfenstein movie and it didn't suck, this song would be in it!", I personally would shy away from said song. I dunno, something about the tone.

Twitter might be a good idea...