Audiosurf Interest

Darth Magus

Hey folks. I have been playing Audiosurf a lot lately and have come to realize that there are a lot of OCR songs, both posted mixes and songs from the albums, that are a lot of fun to surf through. I was curious if anyone else on here plays Audiosurf and likes surfing OCR songs.

More to the point, I'd also like to know if anyone would be interested in starting an OCR Audiosurf group or even a league. It would be a lot of fun. We could do it for bragging rights, we could do it for prizes, I could care less. I just think it's an untapped resource that could further enhance the music of OCR. If so, I have a lot of ideas on how we could organize such a thing, but I'll wait to post the details until after people give a yay or nay.

For those that don't know what Audiosurf is it's a PC game that you can upload songs into. It creates a customized... what I call a roller coaster track, and you "ride" that track, collecting points along the way. There are many different ways to collect the points. Fast songs can be a thrilling ride and, I kid you not, an adrenaline rush. Slow songs are good to chill with. Go to http://www.audio-surf.com/ to check out the game. You can find all kinds of examples of gameplay on Youtube and other such mediums. It's only $10. A small investment for a game that will bring you tons of enjoyment.

My name is Stevo and I endorse this product and/or enterprise.

Actually, it makes a lot of sense. What's better than an awesomely trippy game that uses music dynamically? Using free awesome music from the internet that's readily available and probably makes some kickass levels!

I already have the surf. Go on about your ideas for a league.

Edit: at the very least, people should post the songs from OCR that they've played and which ones make really good levels.

(yay Audiosurf)

I think the two most challenging OCR mixes I've done are

Barrel Roll - http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01767/ by PrototypeRaptor

Dance of the Zinger - http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02005/ by Jake Kaufman (virt)

Both of them are build-up type songs with some fairly challenging end sections and both are just under 300 traffic count (Ninja Mono + Ironmode).

And I have no clue who the people are that hold the top records for those songs, but those records are 4x-5x my scores.

On a random note, if you want to take a song that's between green-orange colors and make it somewhat of a challenge, turn bankcam mode on.

To do this, go to Properties --> Summary --> Title

Add [as-bankcam] to the end of the song, so for Barrel Roll (for example), the title of the track would be "Star Fox Barrel Roll OC ReMix [as-bankcam]"

Essentially, where there were originally turns in the track, it exaggerates them and causes the track to bank. If you don't know what I mean, just try it out and you should notice a difference. Warning, do not do it on a track that's all red unless you want to be turning your head the whole time because the track will be sideways.

On a related note, an OCR Audiosurf group would be cool. Uhh, are you saying a Steam group or some other method as far as making a group?

I've played it a few times, usually only for 10 mins at max per sitting. It's kinda fun, but it hasn't really gotten addictive or anything. I'd always meant to try some OCR tracks on it but it just doesn't keep my interest very long before I jump to something else.

I'd participate a bit. Not good enough to be competitive, but it's a fun game and I need an excuse to play more.

Some more tags you can play with if you're interested:

[as-swind] Sidewinder camera mode

[as-bankcam] Banking camera mode

[as-first] First-person camera mode

[as-steep] More exciting rides for uphill songs

You can see 'em all here, and remember they can stack if you like!

I'm JadeAuto, and I endorse this thread.

JadeAuto in Audiosurf as well. I think I've got the casual high scores on several of bLiNd's songs. And the Iji soundtrack. And some other stuff. Man, I need to play some more and retake some of the thrones I've lost lately.

I love this game. :D

And yes, I like Mono better than the other modes. Go go Ninja Mono.

First off, I'd like to say that it's awesome that this has created so much interest, especially coming from a relative newbie that's not even a mixer (though I'd like to change that someday. I can't mix, but I can sing, so if you ever need a singer, hit me up).

Anyway, onwards to ideas.

The most obvious start is that we would have to create a group. That's pretty easy to do in the Steam platform. Add in contacts and friends both from Steam and Audiosurf (as I know some people have different names for both programs). That's the easy part. The more difficult part would be keeping track of scores. As it stands right now, Audiosurf only has a global leaderboard, a local leaderboard (local to your own area) and a friends leaderboard. Most likely we'd be paying attention to the friends board, though if you're good enough to have your score on the global board, that's so much the better. As such, for keeping track of scores for various competitions, I (or anyone else that wants to volunteer) would collect scores via e-mail. To make sure that you're not lying, I would ask that we take screenshots of our scores when we are done surfing the track so that we know they are legit. Then, we could just make board posts with our own leaderboards, either on this forum or in our Audiosurf group, or both.

As far as scores go, I'd like to break that down by character as well. Some of us are only good using one character. I, for example, love using the Mono character, but I suck with anything else. However, as the scoring system favors characters like Pusher, it does make it difficult for a mono player to play against a good player of another character. We could break it down into overall division, character divisions, etc. I think there's room for flexibility there.

Competitions are simple enough to set up. We could do single song competitions to see who gets the best score, which would be the easiest to set up. We could do a series of songs, or we could do brackets. The brackets would be randomly assigned based on who wants to join. They'd be single elimination, and each pairing would have their own song to duel over. The one with the highest score on that song moves on to the next round until we find a champion. Again, this can be for bragging rights, prizes, recognition... yet another idea that has quite a bit of flexibility.

That's a rough sketch of ideas that I have so far, and I could implement them pretty easily. If anyone else has ideas, please say them. I am open to anything. :)

As far as good OCR songs to play? Here are some of my favorite ones to play:

bLiNd - Extreme-G - G-Storm - A wild ride, super fast. I promise you will die many times before you complete this song with a respectable score. (For the record, just about any song by bLiNd is a blast to surf)

Nekofrog - Mega Man 2 - Wily's Requiem

norg - Duck Tales - Harden the Duck Up!

B33J, Cerrax, nonsensicalexis, Sixto Sounds - Shadow of the Colossus - Wanderer on the Offensive (Live Edit)

Darangen - Chrono Trigger - Atonement

AkumajoBelmont - Castlevania: SotN - The Devil Inside (Italo Disco Remix)

Any mix by Game Over, K. Praslowicz or Star Salzman.

I could go on and on, but I'm sure we all have our favorites.

Hope this gives you all some ideas. Let's work something out!

We had weekly Audiosurf competitions on Remod for a while. Our format is that every competing member contributed a song and the person with the highest total score was the winner of the week. It eventually fell out of favor because it was clear that there were three of us who were much better than the rest.

I do love this game, though. I think my biggest draw is that I can play Double Vision Elite quite well and usually my best scores are done with this mode.

We had weekly Audiosurf competitions on Remod for a while. Our format is that every competing member contributed a song and the person with the highest total score was the winner of the week. It eventually fell out of favor because it was clear that there were three of us who were much better than the rest.

I do love this game, though. I think my biggest draw is that I can play Double Vision Elite quite well and usually my best scores are done with this mode.

Highest total score no matter what character you use? 'Cause DV, Pusher and Pointman are capable of some really high scores compared to Mono, for example, just based on the way the system works. That's why I propose that we use character divisions, so that the lower tiered scores can still get something out of it.

Heh, I only play mono characters (which apparently triggers some sort of nerdrage in the elitist players on the Steampowered forums, so don't ever tell them) because I really enjoy it but never put enough time into the game to learn the other characters. Character-specific compos might be just the correct motivation!

The majority of all players are mono players, as it's the easiest while still being really fun in its own simplistic way. So if we were to do a competition on a track, it'd probably be on mono.

As far as keeping track of scores competitive wise, I say a track is selected and then renamed with an [OCR] tag in front of or at the end of the track name. Just a spontaneous idea, no clue if that'd work ok.

Highest total score no matter what character you use? 'Cause DV, Pusher and Pointman are capable of some really high scores compared to Mono, for example, just based on the way the system works. That's why I propose that we use character divisions, so that the lower tiered scores can still get something out of it.

The idea was that if you are able to play the harder modes that give you higher scores then you had the advantage. We did do the occasional forced mode weeks but we wanted to let people play what they like to play.