Workshop Mod/Mod Review FAQ - Read this before using "Mod Review"

Nutritious

As you may have already noticed, there has been a new forum position created titled Workshop Moderator. This is a continuation of changes to the Work In Progress forum to try and improve the effectiveness forums in developing musicians and bridge the gap between the WIP forums and remix submissions.

Workshop Moderators: Level 99, WillRock, Rozovian, Gario, & Flexstyle &?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's how the system will work:

Remixers will post their mixes as normal in the forums, flagging them as either Work-in-Progress, Finished, or Mod Review. Work-in-Progress mixes include any song currently being worked on that is not in its final, submittable form. At this stage, mixers should solicit feedback from regular forum members on production and arrangement improvements.

Once the mix is completed, the mixer will change the status of the mix to Finished. Changing the status is done via the "Go Advanced" button when editing the first post. A track being marked Finished means that the mixer feels that the song is in its completed form and is ready to be submitted. Mixers continue to gain feedback from other forum members with extra details and finishing touches to the mix.

Finally, this mixer will mark his thread as Mod Review. At this point, the mixer MUST post a link to the original soure tune being remixed. We prefer YouTube or a link to the chiptune on OCR, if either is available. Then, a Workshop Admin will listen to the song and present feedback based on the submissions standards of OverClocked ReMix. Once they have posted their review, the Mod will revert the tag to Finished. Depending on the feedback, the mixer can choose to revert their thread to Work-in-Progress and continue working on the song, or go ahead with the submissions process to the site.

Again, the purpose of this new process is to try and provide some mid-level criticism of artists' mixes to increase their odds of passing the judges panel upon submission. This way, a mixer will hopefully avoid the several month wait time to obtain feedback from the judges on issues that could have been addressed upfront.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some notes and disclaimers:

-We are not judges on OCR, so there's no guarantee that a positive review of a track by a Workshop Moderator will guarantee a mix being YES'd by the Judges Panel. However, we will do our best to evaluate both Production and Arrangement aspects of each mix and give feedback based on site standards.

-Please do not mark your mix as Mod Review when it is not in a completed state or has not spent time in a Finished state to try and get forum member feedback. We do not yet know what kind of workload we will be looking at going forward, so please utilize each step of the process so we're only reviewing mixes that are truly finished and as refined as the mixer is able.

-Once you've marked your mix Mod Review, please do not make any additional changes prior to a review from a Moderator. If you do wish to modify your mix, please change it back to a WIP status first.

-Again, you MUST provide a link to the original source of the song being remixed. This will save us time and allow us to crit as many tracks as possible.

-If it's been a few days since you posted a Mod Review mix and you still haven't received Mod feedback, feel free to drop one of us a PM to get the ball rolling.

-Remember to change your status if you revive your thread so the first revision isn't mistaken for the new version you want a mod review of.

-Just because a thread is marked for Mod Review doesn't mean the remixer won't appreciate other people's feedback, nor will it interfere with the Mod Review. As long as you don't make false claims about being a mod, feel free to give feedback in Mod Review-marked threads.

We sincerely hope that this will be a good resource and a positive experience for everyone. If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to share them in this thread.

Edited by Rozovian
I saw a new question that needed an answer

Question, is approval by workshop mods required to be able to submit to the site? (I already know the answer to this question but I believe you should make it public in your disclaimers)

Absolutely not. It's meant to lighten the load on the judges by hopefully catching some mixes that obviously aren't going to pass the panel early on. It's also there to provide instant feedback to artists who want it from people who are near the competency level of the actual judges in a matter of days instead of 2-3 months.

I like this idea, though worried about the workload you guys might have to take on eventually. I also feel like there are maybe one or two areas in the process where things could become more complicated and confusing. Like people wanting to mod review their mix several times, or people who make changes to something while it's in mod review. I'm just worried about people who might otherwise take more time with a mix trying to rush their mix to mod review so they can get the semi-official feedback. It might also be good for moderators to emphasize that this is not the judges panel by not using "YES" and "NO" kind of stuff. That would also put less of a barrier between the mods and the people who aren't mods who want to give criticism (because I'm worried about people listening to the non-mods's advice less).

We'll see how this all works out, and I'm glad that something like this was implemented anyway.

I like this idea, though worried about the workload you guys might have to take on eventually. I also feel like there are maybe one or two areas in the process where things could become more complicated and confusing. Like people wanting to mod review their mix several times, or people who make changes to something while it's in mod review. I'm just worried about people who might otherwise take more time with a mix trying to rush their mix to mod review so they can get the semi-official feedback. It might also be good for moderators to emphasize that this is not the judges panel by not using "YES" and "NO" kind of stuff. That would also put less of a barrier between the mods and the people who aren't mods who want to give criticism (because I'm worried about people listening to the non-mods's advice less).

We'll see how this all works out, and I'm glad that something like this was implemented anyway.

I think ultimately the quality of feedback is going to speak for itself so I don't think regular critiquers like you have to worry about feeling disenfranchised or overshadowed here.

I dunno about how Nutritious wants to handle things, but myself and halc both make an effort to give regular feedback anyway even if a mix isn't tagged for review, so having to do some repeat reviews isn't really anything I'm concerned about because I try to keep up with most of the songs that come through the workshop that need feedback anyway :-)

I think ultimately the quality of feedback is going to speak for itself so I don't think regular critiquers like you have to worry about feeling disenfranchised or overshadowed here.

I dunno about how Nutritious wants to handle things, but myself and halc both make an effort to give regular feedback anyway even if a mix isn't tagged for review, so having to do some repeat reviews isn't really anything I'm concerned about because I try to keep up with most of the songs that come through the workshop that need feedback anyway :-)

Personally, I'm planning to focus on mixes in the Mod Review status. Dos kiddos means my time is sometimes limited. You guys can go wild on whatever, though :)

I saw your titles and figured this was what DJP was doing with you guys. It's great that he did this (and that you agreed to this) - a middle point between WIP feedback and the J's will prove to be useful for everyone here. I'm also glad you emphasized that it's a middle point, so people won't be too disappointed to see a mix rejected when the WIP mods said it was OK. Don't want you guys to get any flak from people when you're doing them a voluntary service.

Good luck out on the field of WIP battle.

I love the sound of this new system. Not that I haven't gotten outstanding feedback from regular users on here before (I appreciate every bit of it)... it's just, sometimes your WIP falls through the cracks if it's not from a recognizable game, or you polish it to the point where people run out of suggestions to make, but it still doesn't sound quite good enough to make it past the judges. I think that this new system will bridge that gap. Time will tell whether the workload is manageable, I suppose, but I'm rooting for it to work. The more levels of feedback I can get, the better!

Also, I want to give a big thank-you to you three for taking this on. The generosity of the OCR community never ceases to amaze me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Just a quick update. Since we're currently running a little short on workshop mods, please allow a little extra time for us to get to your Mod Reviews. We're currently working to remedy the situation ASAP, so consider this only a temporary status.

Keep up all the good work, folks!

Less time beard grooming, moar time giving feedback please.