Can someone explain the appeal of Railworks to me

atmuh

I'm guessing this game is for those people that like to buy model trains and have the whole basement filled with 'em

the price is just so they don't feel strange

they're used to shelling out thousands of dollars for trains you know

It's like a flight sim...only boring?

I dunno if I was one of those people that collects model trains I wouldn't really find a game for it interesting. I had a model train when I was little and most of the fun was setting up the tracks and putting the train and carts on them, not...whatever it is you do in this game.

Of course as a 4 year old I was probably infinitely more easily amused than I am now.

Poked around a bit on the Steam Forums for this game, and it seems to have the same appeal that something any other simulation game has: it deals heavily with the technical aspects of driving/conducting a train, such as fuel management, track switching, etc.

I suppose I can understand the appeal for a train enthusiast. People get interested in the minutia of all sorts of seemingly mundane activities.

This kind of game likely appeals to people who enjoy managing things. My dad is a big-time businessman, and he used to play oldies such as Railroad Tycoon. While not necessarily quite so technical, it deals a lot with managing resources carefully in order to grow your 'empire'.

I think that might be part of it, anyway. Maybe I could ask him.