Potential OCR Meetup: Six Flags America (MD/DC/VA)

Arrow

So the other day I was thinking, "Since I moved to Maryland, I've lived 20 minutes from a Six Flags, why have I not gone yet?" And then I thought "Hey, there's a bunch of OCR people in the D.C./Maryland/Virginia(/and possibly Philly) area; maybe I can convince them all to come with me and make it a meetup."

So here is your CALL TO ACTION.

I suggested this on Facebook first just to get some initial thoughts on timing so as not to conflict with Otakon, and Stevo suggested late August, which works for me, although the park is closed for portions of that final week. Saturday the 28th was my assumption as to a specific best date. But since this is an idea that hinges on making sure everyone has the money to go after Otakon drains our pockets, I don't mind a later date. The park is mainly open on weekends only after August, but they stay open all the way through October before closing for the year, so we would still have plenty of dates to choose. (EDIT: But honestly, some of us would prefer a weekday date due to much smaller crowds and faster lines, and the last open weekday is Tuesday August 24)

Tickets are $50 + tax a pop, but if at least 15 of us go, we can take advantage of a group discount to knock that price down to $24. That does require the tickets all be purchased at the same time, but I'd be willing to handle that too; I'll just have to trust that everyone will pay me back immediately after I've mailed the tickets off. XD Six Flags America is located in Bowie, MD, and is actually metro-accessible if you're in the WMATA area.

So who's interested?

EDIT: Plans are finalized guys. The trip will be Sunday August 29 (tomorrow as of this edit), and we'll all meet at Guest Services right when the park opens at 10:30am. Guest Services is right at the front of the park, immediately to the right of all the normal ticket booths. I'll hand out all your tickets there; whether any of you meet up for breakfast or anything beforehand is up to you. We'll browse the park for a few hours and then break for lunch at 1:30pm (we'll decide there whether we're eating in the park or outside). Immediately after lunch, we'll hit up the waterpark for a few hours before going back to the normal park, so bring swimming clothes, towels, etc. We can decide what to do for dinner, if anything, while we're there. The ticket price ended up being $26.54 a pop, so either bring cash to cover that when I give you your ticket, or drop the money into my Paypal account at jingajin@gmail.com. See you all there!

Who's coming:

Arrow & friend

Bahamut & roommate

Brushfire & his totally not imaginary wife

Ferret

Kizyr

Level 99

Moguta & friend

Palpable

Velocifero

Possibly coming:

Diotrans (for lunch and water park shenanigans)

Palpable: Yeah, I'd actually prefer a weekday myself. Back when I lived in North Carolina and we occasionally drove north for Kings Dominion trips, we always went on weekdays because you could generally get through the lines for every roller coaster within seconds, especially on Mondays. So if people are fine with taking a day off work, I would much prefer that option.

djp: What are your honeymoon dates, for the record? If we do end up deciding to do this on a weekday instead, the latest one possible before the park switches to weekend only would be Tuesday Aug. 24. Either way, I definitely wanna work around everyone's schedules so we can all make it. It'd seem sacrilegious to have an east coast meetup without you there. XD

I think we'd potentially be up for it, but we also want to do another Philly meetup at our place. We're hoping that our apartment complex will have its pool ready sometime during the summer so we can have a BBQ and then chill out in (or around) the pool afterwards. So, hopefully we can time that so it's not too close to this one.

yes please!

as long as stevo gives me a ride <3

Where are you located in the PA? If Dyne is coming, he may potentially be able to give you a ride as well.

I'm all down for this on the next to LAST or LAST weekend in August. So either August 28th or 29th. I realize that weekends can see the place packed beyond control, but yeah, if it were a meetup, that'd be the best time to catch everyone being free.

and I hope y'all realize that we need to take up one entire log on the flume ride, have the picture taken, and then NOT pay for it. We'll just take crappy pictures with our cell phones of the image they display of it.

My pick is for the last weekend in August. Potentially Sunday, August 29th.

If I'm free, I'll give it a shot.

I think we'd potentially be up for it, but we also want to do another Philly meetup at our place. We're hoping that our apartment complex will have its pool ready sometime during the summer so we can have a BBQ and then chill out in (or around) the pool afterwards. So, hopefully we can time that so it's not too close to this one.

Depending on my schedule, I'd be down for going to your guys' place again.

I'll be back home in the MD at that point before I run off back to college. But you'd still have to take a big detour (up to Bel Air) to get me, so I may try to make other travelin' arrangements.

Nah, Bel Air ain't that big of a detour, and depending on the day and whatnot, it's definitely feasible. Let us converse more in through private methods.

*waggles privates*