Greensleeves

Bahamut

One of my favorite versions of Greensleeves is actually the version by Loreena McKennitt on her album "The Visit". Supposedly she was going for a Tom Waits impression when she sang it, and the rough, almost croaking sound really brings out the original depressing drinking-song lyrics. (McKennitt is a Celtic / New Age type singer, kinda like Enya but typically with more string instruments and slightly less obvious synth effects.)

Also don't forget Vince Guaraldi's version(s) from the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack.

Some of these are great, a few I haven't heard before!

While of course I love any suggestion, there is a particular version I've never been able to find and that grabs me the most. I remember as a kid hearing a version of it being sung by a female in the classical style on PBS. I've never been able to find it since then :-( .

Here's another one that I know of - Blackmore's Night:

Note: Blackmore's Night is a folk rock band collab between Ritchie Blackmore, of Rainbow fame, and Candice Night, hence the name.

Vaughan Williams does it right

Best version I've ever heard + one of the greatest cds ever... I love it.

You can also buy the song for 99 cents :J

I remember finding that one like 4 years ago - I <3 it for sure.

The origins of that one I think is actually an opera he did, Sir John in Love. I have the album, but it's back in NY :-( . In particular, it's this track:

Act III, Scene 3: What John! What Robert! (Mrs. Ford) - Alas my love, you do me wrong (Mrs. Ford)

Searching Wikipedia, it apparently is Ralph Greaves who created that particular arrangement based on the opera one, Fantasia on Greensleeves

One of my favorite versions of Greensleeves is actually the version by Loreena McKennitt on her album "The Visit". Supposedly she was going for a Tom Waits impression when she sang it, and the rough, almost croaking sound really brings out the original depressing drinking-song lyrics. (McKennitt is a Celtic / New Age type singer, kinda like Enya but typically with more string instruments and slightly less obvious synth effects.)

I indeed love this song greatly - I do own that particular album, it's a great one by her overall.

Rainbow's version.

Not the best sound on the clip, sorry about that.

A friend of mine was practically addicted to Stratovarius' version of it.

I shouldn't be surprised that Rainbow did one too - see above.