Marvel vs. Capcom 3

DJ Mighty

Played for about 5 hours today. 2/3rds of that was just spent in training mode. Do you know what I hate most? Learning curve. There's nothing I hate worse that feeling like a clumsy oaf, jumping like a monkey in the stage, hoping and praying that something good will come out of my button mashing. Of course, whiffing most of my hyper combos doesn't help matters.

Regardless of my fighting game fail, this game is definitely the best fighting game I've ever seen or played. The graphics are stunning eye candy, the controls and gameplay work exactly as expected, and the characters ooze style and charm.

Speaking of characters, I'm definitely going to have to tweak my team. Spiderman might be out all together. I used to rely heavily on his Web Swing in MvC2. It's mind-bogglingly-stupid that the move has changed from quarter-turn back, to that Z movement thingie. I always HATED that Z movement thingie! I just can't pull it off. I have no problems with quarter turns and half turns, but that Z thing completely screws me over. Combined with that, and Spidey feeling much more clunky that before, and I'm probably gonna switch him out for Wesker or maybe Super Skrull.

Zero, meanwhile, is hardly the Mega Man replacement some hoped he would be. But I knew that would be the case, so I'm not surprised. I suppose there's nothing wrong with him, per se, but his moveset doesn't click with me, so he's probably out. Maybe for Viewtiful Joe. Joe can go crazy with that aerial rave of his!

Then comes Wolverine. He is actually all I hoped he would be. He comes fast, he can bridge the distance gap no problem, and he's easy to combo with. To top it off, he actually got a brand new move that lets him slash opponents right next to him, or even teleport behind them! Genius! X-23 felt way too different from him, so she won't be replacing him, despite what I thought earlier. So yeah...so many characters have way more potential this time, it's just great!

Can't wait to play more tomorrow. I'd get back to it right now...but my hands are tired. :?

picked it up today and played it a little after work. It's pretty much as good as I was expecting from seeing all the previews.

Makes me a little disappointed I'll never be that into fighting games to get the nuance and strategy that some people get into with them unfortunately. I'll always love them but I go through them too quickly to ever really get very good. And as for playing online - unless it's against a 3 year old kid it's just a way for me to get destroyed and frustrated.

Loving Amaterasu though, would like to practice with her and Dante for a bit. Good stuff!

Well I spent some considerable time with the game today both on and offline. Not like 5 hours but a few.

So far this is absolutely awesome! Phoenix, Trish, Dante, Morrigan and Felicia are my faves so far. I do have some minor complaints though.

1. Galactus can be real hard. That's cool, but I hate WHY he can be hard to beat. Because he has some completely unfair moves. Some of which I can't seem to find a way to block or escape.

2. Jumping is just bad. Most characters float for a ridiculous amount of time by fighting game standards on even just your basic neutral jump. Doubled with the fact that the game is a bit slower than previous installments.......this leads to lots of online "keep away games" where you're just chasing the opponent's last character around. Depending on what character you have at the time...it can be more of a pain than necessary to K.O. the n00b.

3. Health. Is it just me, or does much of the cast really lack in the health department? None is worse than Phoenix for this. She's a quick and powerful character so they balance that by giving her low stamina I know. I think they over did it though. Big time.

Much of the rock tunes guitars don't seem to cut through very well. Like Hsien-Ko's theme. I've had it on surround sound, headphones, various speakers and it's damn quiet.

All that aside I'm freakin' lovin' this game.

A lot of people are complaining about the damage but I think it is fine. The damage scale is pretty much identical to Street Fighter II... but this time in Vs. hyper fighting.

The fact you can do so much damage and die quickly makes the game a high stakes game and an interesting one. There's a number of 100% combos that occur in this game that requires using your X-Factor and some super bars. That's fine because your X-Factor powers up when you have less characters. Thus resulting in a more potentially powerful comeback card.

Phoenix's health is fair considering her capabilities. Have you seen her have a max level X-Factor (when she is by herself) and go Dark Phoenix? Yea she can kill a whole entire team by herself way too quickly. There are just so many options in this game and it makes it so much more interesting.

Phoenix's health is fair considering her capabilities. Have you seen her have a max level X-Factor (when she is by herself) and go Dark Phoenix? Yea she can kill a whole entire team by herself way too quickly. There are just so many options in this game and it makes it so much more interesting.

So true, I definitely make it a point to drop her first. You have to go all out when she is called in for an assist, or smack her teammates out of the battle temporarily so you can quickly bring her down (or at least try.)

I learned that the hard way with a friend of mine. One minute we are having a normal battle, the next thing my guys are dropping like flies, there's fire everywhere, and angry echoing voices going on about how they're the shit and I'm nothing, and there was probably a few slurs thrown in there too. It was horrible ;_;

So yeah, you pretty much WILL die if your opponent is competent with her and manages to go Dark Phoenix.

Jumping is just bad. Most characters float for a ridiculous amount of time by fighting game standards on even just your basic neutral jump. Doubled with the fact that the game is a bit slower than previous installments.......this leads to lots of online "keep away games" where you're just chasing the opponent's last character around.

yeah it's supposed to be like this

so i finally got to play it last night with my gf, she played on simple and was unleashing crazy combos on me.

So far i like it a lot i need to really sit down and play it though, I am assuming you have to unlock certain characters?

I feel free to invite:

PS3: PterPrker

i will eventually get a 360 version and play with everyone again on there.

Great stuff, thanks for the work. Looking forward to Jill next month!

A lot of people are complaining about the damage but I think it is fine. The damage scale is pretty much identical to Street Fighter II... but this time in Vs. hyper fighting.

The fact you can do so much damage and die quickly makes the game a high stakes game and an interesting one. There's a number of 100% combos that occur in this game that requires using your X-Factor and some super bars. That's fine because your X-Factor powers up when you have less characters. Thus resulting in a more potentially powerful comeback card.

One good counter to Jean is to let her run out of time, not allowing her DPm to activate. Sounds crazy, but is MUCH safer than chancing X-Factor Dark Phoenix.

On that note, my current team is X-23 / Trish / Phoenix, with X-23 on point. I'm currently using Trish's airtrap and Phoenix's fireball for assists, and it's working out thus far. IMO X-23 is a better point char than Trish thus far -- Trish's double jump aircombo requires a delay that makes me drop it more often than I'd like (though calling X-23 low assist + Trish's triangle jump works well when she's in play). Phoenix only comes in when the others are down (though I do use her assist), hopefully with 4 meters...though Jean can turtle up to build it if she needs to.

Currently, I try to save X-Factor for Dark Phoenix. The team is working pretty well for me thus far -- more of you guys need to get online!

Wavedash to move around if your character can.

notation is: f. 2 atk > down repeat. down cancels the dash animation, so you can do it again.

I play Doom as my secondary, and you can dash cancel his s.H which can then be jump cancelled into an airdash. Pretty good for closing distance after your block string gets advancing guarded.

got my preorder today.

dante and morrigan are my current mainstays. i've been cycling through other people for the 3rd spot and have had a genuinely fun time playing most everyone.

galactus beat me once on normal before i trashed him. his moves have really small windows to evade or reposition to yknow NOT DIE HORRIBLY, and i haven't quite figured out if there is even a way to avoid his big ball or death move that full kills you.

not gonna try any online stuff till this weekend probably. very fun game though.

Alright, just got the game and I'm happy to say I liked it.

I really did feel like it got dumbed down at first with there being only a light, med, and hi attack with one special attack, but playing a bit deeper it seems like this can get pretty deep with the combat, more of the easy to learn hard to master.

I grabbed this with my friends and I've really liked some of the choices of characters and some I don't. Honestly the Marvel side didn't have much meaning to me, I was more about what Capcom characters were in. I really wish they had one or two more street fighter characters along with some more Megaman, yet I'm so happy they went with Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe, and Arthur. Grabbing the lesser known Capcom Characters. Hopefully DLC will fill my wishes.

So this is my first glance at the game so I might delve more into it later in the weekend. I'd be more than happy to play someone here if they can stand my lag =\

I really don't understand wanting more street fighters, personally. Maybe from a nominal standpoint, we should have the likes of Bison or Balrog... But everyone else? Feh, they already have their own fighting game.

Maybe DLC can give us, like, Sissel or something. That would be rad, morphing into various simple objects.

got my preorder today.

dante and morrigan are my current mainstays. i've been cycling through other people for the 3rd spot and have had a genuinely fun time playing most everyone.

galactus beat me once on normal before i trashed him. his moves have really small windows to evade or reposition to yknow NOT DIE HORRIBLY, and i haven't quite figured out if there is even a way to avoid his big ball or death move that full kills you.

not gonna try any online stuff till this weekend probably. very fun game though.

On Galactus, his face can bet hit just before he uses the Death Ball on you and negate the attack. I don't know how to avoid the triple laser beam attack though.

It'd be awesome if they released some "bonus" arcade DLC boss like, say... Deathevn orsome other huge Capcom bad guy, with some new endings.

Yeah, yeah... "you're playing Arcade?" On Very Easy mode, to boot. I just want all the unlocks and character profiles. Fun fact: Captain America sucks at everything but pure fighting skill, according to his bio.