Marvel vs. Capcom 3

DJ Mighty

You obviously have not played any of the VS games at a high level. Someone who doesn't have a real gameplan going in doesn't have a ghost of a chance against me -- the people I've played from here can attest to this.

That being said, the physical execution barrier between good and great players is certainly less in Marvel 3 than it is in Super SFIV or Marvel 2 -- I happily concede this because I think that it is amazing. It allows more people to play the actual game at hand and begin to think about things at the level that the pros do.

The magic series (jab-->short-->strong-->forward-->fierce-->roundhouse) exists in all of the VS games for the vast majority of the characters. In Marvel 3 this "standard" series is light medium hard launch --> medium medium hard launch, admittedly simpler than Marvel 2's series (due to 3 having fewer attack buttons). This is the most basic combo and does indeed exist for 90% of the characters...just like Marvel 2. However, they are NOT the ideal combo for any character and any competent player will destroy you if that's all you can do.

Once you understand this, your game will improve dramatically. Certain characters benefit greatly from getting beyond the basics -- Trish, for instance, can extend her air combo and relaunch her opponent twice if she thinks outside the box (try launch, B, down+C xx qcb+A, B,B, double jump B, down+C xx qcb+A xx super!) The removal of specific combo "rules" from Marvel 2 actually invites creativity and invention such as the above -- now that the only rule is hitstun decay, everything you try has a good chance of working. On average, combos are longer now and the pace of the game has changed, but that's neither here nor there. As a SF2 player, I highly enjoy the overall higher damage output that everyone has.

There is only one legitimate complaint I can see leveled at the game currently, and that is how Level 3 X-Factor scales damage a little too much. I agree with this critique but it's only a terrible issue for Sentinel and Dark Phoenix. To deal with the two of them: integrate snapbacks into your combos and force them to either burn X-Factor before characters die (while it's not as powerful), or lose their characters because they can't cover themselves with assists.

I think people DEFINITELY missed my point. I'm saying that this game is way easier to get the hang of then past Vs. games. What I mean is somebody who understands how to pull off some basic combos and link together supers is still a decent match up against a player who understands how to do, but has not mastered some of the more advanced aspects of play. I can pick most any character and just rapidly press light - medium - launcher. Lead that into a team air and finish with the supers.

Using that simple formula the highest I've gotten with Iron Man, Trish and Dante is 130 hits. I know the combos in this game are supposed to be more over the top but back in X Men Vs SF etc......it did not work like that. You HAD to really be on the ball to do that kind of damage.

I'm not saying "easier to get the hang of" it's really a problem at all with MVC3. I'm just saying unlike SF or many previous Vs games, skill is not as black and white.

So I won two matches of the 7 or 8 I played last night. I won with a team of Haggar, Felicia, and Taskmaster -- the perfect combination of strength, speed, and outright cheapness. I can only imagine the rage those guys felt when they heard "spidey swing" for the six hundredth time.

I lost several times to the same guy who used Ryu, Zero, and Dormammu... and basically stood back and just spammed assists. After 3 losses like that, I decided if custom ranked matches were gonna pair up with me every time, I'd stick to just random ranked matches.

Then why are the same top players of the Vs. series still the best in MvC 3 now by far? The same MvC 2 greats are still stomping on everyone not so great. Different game but it's still pretty easy to discern who has real skill if you actually understand the game on a deeper level beyond the fundamentals.

030-dave-mustaine.gif

So I won two matches of the 7 or 8 I played last night. I won with a team of Haggar, Felicia, and Taskmaster -- the perfect combination of strength, speed, and outright cheapness. I can only imagine the rage those guys felt when they heard "spidey swing" for the six hundredth time.

I lost several times to the same guy who used Ryu, Zero, and Dormammu... and basically stood back and just spammed assists. After 3 losses like that, I decided if custom ranked matches were gonna pair up with me every time, I'd stick to just random ranked matches.

Yeah the ranked match thing is weird. Every time I search for "same skill" it gives me someone 300x better than me =/

I can't for sure say how I feel about this game. I have used most of the characters and so long as I stick to easy I do okay in the single player. I managed to get by on the hardest difficulty but I wanted to destroy the marvel and capcom companies. With that much trouble I am afraid to try the online modes. I will probably give it a try with my X-23/Zero/Deadpool team but I do not hold much hope.

I am just happy they got rid of Cable but saddened they got rid of Venom.

I can't for sure say how I feel about this game. I have used most of the characters and so long as I stick to easy I do okay in the single player. I managed to get by on the hardest difficulty but I wanted to destroy the marvel and capcom companies. With that much trouble I am afraid to try the online modes. I will probably give it a try with my X-23/Zero/Deadpool team but I do not hold much hope.

I am just happy they got rid of Cable but saddened they got rid of Venom.

The Very Hard difficulty AI in this game is harder than 99% of anyone I've played so far. Just saying. The AI on this setting is inhumanly technical. Hard, right below Very Hard, is way too easy though.

you are dumb sorry he's right

and you're still wrong if you think that mashers and non mashers can match up at all unless the non masher is just really bad

Never said button mashing n00bs stood a chance. Not once. Read again.

This is obviously beating a dead horse. Scrolling back through this thread to a time before the game was released, most of it was character arguments. Now every, "I'm so awesome, this game the best, and if you don't worship every aspect of it, feel my wrath" tourney player is slowly coming out of the shadows to allow us to bow down to their god-like status. Those who dare question this fabled disc in even the slightest shall be punished.

Show no mercy and no remorse.

Never said button mashing n00bs stood a chance. Not once. Read again.

This is obviously beating a dead horse. Scrolling back through this thread to a time before the game was released, most of it was character arguments. Now every, "I'm so awesome, this game the best, and if you don't worship every aspect of it, feel my wrath" tourney player is slowly coming out of the shadows to allow us to bow down to their god-like status. Those who dare question this fabled disc in even the slightest shall be punished.

Show no mercy and no remorse.

Wow, if I actually came off that way I totally apologize. There's definitely stuff to be critiqued about the game -- namely X-Factor's high damage bonus imo, though I agree with GT that everyone's damage could come down slightly (I'd be up for any reduction down to 4/5 of the current values).

That being said, the vast majority of us are enjoying it a great deal, and are actively working to discover counter-strategies to the first-order optimal play that we've been seeing (namely, Sentinel + Level 3 X-Factor). Since you seem passionate about the topic, why not play a few rounds and post some constructive stuff?

Unfortunately, probably no gaming for me tonight -- my wife is on a conference call and I can't make much noise :(

yeah i'm not very good and im definitely not preaching that was just a dumb thing to say.

anyways lets move on this is a topic we can all do without lets just talk about how this game is awesome and fun and how I TOTALLY GOT MY GAME TO WORK NOW YUSSSS

rented it from somewhere and installed the disc, now i can just use my messed up one as a key. it works perfect now

yeah i'm not very good and im definitely not preaching that was just a dumb thing to say.

anyways lets move on this is a topic we can all do without lets just talk about how this game is awesome and fun and how I TOTALLY GOT MY GAME TO WORK NOW YUSSSS

rented it from somewhere and installed the disc, now i can just use my messed up one as a key. it works perfect now

You made me learn a lot more about Hulk in the lab. I went on ranked matches and just took a 15 game win streak on PSN woooooo.

I find it odd I am going back and forth between consoles just to play the same game lmao

I added a bunch of you to my list just now ( NOBODY ADDED ME TO BEGIN WITH D: ) so we should playyyyyyy

You made me learn a lot more about Hulk in the lab. I went on ranked matches and just took a 15 game win streak on PSN woooooo.

I find it odd I am going back and forth between consoles just to play the same game lmao

I added a bunch of you to my list just now ( NOBODY ADDED ME TO BEGIN WITH D: ) so we should playyyyyyy

im down to play tonight/right now for a lil bit

Wow, if I actually came off that way I totally apologize. There's definitely stuff to be critiqued about the game -- namely X-Factor's high damage bonus imo, though I agree with GT that everyone's damage could come down slightly (I'd be up for any reduction down to 4/5 of the current values).

That being said, the vast majority of us are enjoying it a great deal, and are actively working to discover counter-strategies to the first-order optimal play that we've been seeing (namely, Sentinel + Level 3 X-Factor). Since you seem passionate about the topic, why not play a few rounds and post some constructive stuff?

Unfortunately, probably no gaming for me tonight -- my wife is on a conference call and I can't make much noise :(

Actually you did seem that way but then again. On the internet you can't read a person's tone of voice so......

I apologize for being a jackass.

Anyway, I think it was "Bleck" who just mentioned switchin' up the characters. I feel your pain........I'm still stuck in the mvc2 way of just pressing the button rather than holding it down. Many times I have had my character ko'd cuz I simply pressed the button to switch. Only to get an assist.....