Marvel vs. Capcom 3

DJ Mighty

My previous posts about studying the game to get better aside, the one thing that is really starting to turn me off this game is the X-Factor.

A general rule of thumb about this game seems to be: "Whoever uses X-Factor last, wins."

Just in case you didn't know: how long X-Factor lasts depends on how many of your characters are still alive when you activate it. If you use it when you only have one character left, it lasts twice as long as when you still have all three. Generally, I try to save X-Factor for my last character, unless there's a good reason not to (say, if it gets you the few extra hits to kill off your opponent's best character).

It seems like MVC3 is more of a game about 'macro' decisions (what team? what assists? when to assist? what hypers to string?), as opposed to thinking about a single frame or a single attack.

I hadn't thought of it like that but that's a good point actually. When in the match to use X-Factor is also a pretty big "macro style" decision.

Besides practicing a lot, I think another way to get better is to learn from better players by watching tournament replays and stuff.

is entertaining but could also be kinda educational.

Anyway I probably shouldn't be saying too much, I haven't been practicing nearly as much as I wanted to. Although I do feel like I am starting to get the hang of Zero's basic setups and combos.

My team so far is Zero / Ryu / Wolverine. I'm not at all sure if that's a good choice so I'm open to criticism there. My reasoning is this:

• Zero: I used to be (still am I guess) a big Mega Man / Mega Man X fan, and I really like Zero in this game. He's also fun to play and seems pretty good so I really want to keep him on my team.
  • Ryu: he's a pretty safe character choice whenever I'm starting with a new Capcom fighting game; he's in every game so I always know what to expect. I like his beam super but otherwise I think I'm not great with him.
  • Wolverine: I liked rushing down with him in Marvel 2 so I'm pretty happy he's much stronger this time around. When I'm losing, my fallback plan is "go nuts with X-Factored Wolverine" and that tends to work out pretty well. I really need to learn some of his combos though.

I haven't really given much thought to team synergy at all. I've been experimenting with swapping Viper in for Ryu, but my problem there is I keep confusing her off-the-ground super with Zero's since they're opposite input motions.

Eh that's just part of the game. Deciding when to X-Factor is part of how the match will play out. You can do it early on to take out a poorly called assist leaving you more vulnerable at the end of the match OR you could have saved it as a last desperation sort of thing like your opponent.

You can't really call bullshit on this loss since it's not like your opponent has X-Factor and you don't. Yea I understand the frustration of having your whole team wiped out by one guy on their last bits of health but keep in mind you could have potentially done it to him too. I've done it to people and I've had it done to me plenty of times. It's just part of the high stakes vibe of MvC3. I haven't heard anyone comeback with just one character and wiping the whole other team out and then complaining about it. It's always when it's a loss does the complaining happen. Don't sweat the loss and do it right back to other people :)

Now for some people who are just getting overwhelmed in general, it's definitely harder to learn the game when you don't even understand your own characters and how they may or may not work well together. Mission Mode is a great place to get the feel of your characters. You can push out at least missions 1-7 or 8 for any character in just a few minutes. You'll learn the moves, basic combos, and the timings for some basic bread and butter combos. Practice these in Training Mode. Then practice them on moving CPUs and then also online.

Also, just because this game is a HYPER FIGHTING game doesn't mean you can try to rush down your opponent all the time. I'm beating a lot of the folks around here with Random All because I have a decent grasp on the basics of spacing, poking, and hit confirming into my combos. If I didn't do any of that and dial out combos on you guys without any thought of what you are trying to do or making sure you were open, I'd probably lose. Some of the people here I've played just try to jump at me head-first and try to do crazy stuff and all I have to do is wait for the opening and take advantage of it. Slowing down is also an option and it might help some of you. Remember, if you're attacking, you're not blocking, and thus open. You can learn a lot about these fundamentals if you play on Very Hard difficulty in this game if you put your mind too it. It's seriously the only challenging difficulty. I just wish there wasn't such a big gap between Hard and Very Hard...

I'm also willing to talk MvC3 things over with people on Live too if you need a little help. Or if you're on PSN I can hop on there too. I can't really help with advanced stuff with characters I'm not familiar with but I have other of good things to say... Speaking of PSN, I should probably play more on that a little more too. Currently yet to lose a ranked match there lol.

Yeah that's true. It's just I think the game could do without the x-factor. It's just frustrating when you're whole team is wiped out like that lol

What is it with fighting games and the power boosts these days? Tekken 6 has a similar system.

It's the push to make them more accessible to the mainstream. Pretty soon we're going to have games that let you wail on people with just one button.

...Oh wait...

My biggest issue with the game is hardly gameplay related though. It's the online component, which is sorely lacking. In fact, I find it odd that the fighter to have the best online component this generation is DOA4, which was released in 2006. Super Street Fighter IV came close, but still doesn't hit the mark IMO.

The online component for MvC3 feels just as bad if not worse than Street Fighter IV back in '09. The producer goes on to mention the issues faced with online spectator mode, but it's pretty much agreed upon that it's basically a bogus claim.

Even were it true, that still doesn't explain why trying to find ranked matches is such a painful ordeal.

I find that the push for more "mainstream" accessibility (simple mode, x-factor, etc.) isn't that big of a deal. I was kind of upset when Smash Bros did the same thing (no L-cancel, tripping, Final Smash), but an experienced player can still win with all of these annoyances. And MvC3 balanced the Simple Mode very well. You're never going to be able to compete with Simple Mode. The moveset is just entirely too limited and prone to errors. But for people who have no idea what they're doing, it makes the game kind of fun.

I find that the push for more "mainstream" accessibility (simple mode, x-factor, etc.) isn't that big of a deal. I was kind of upset when Smash Bros did the same thing (no L-cancel, tripping, Final Smash), but an experienced player can still win with all of these annoyances. And MvC3 balanced the Simple Mode very well. You're never going to be able to compete with Simple Mode. The moveset is just entirely too limited and prone to errors. But for people who have no idea what they're doing, it makes the game kind of fun.

Honestly, something like L-cancelling where everyone basically has to do it to be competitive is redundant -- just auto-do it and make everyone competitive by default! Tripping is total BS though, agreed. :P

On topic: I can now put two trap-bounces into my Trish combo -- happy. I can also do one and chain it back to the ground to do ground super DHC ground super. Lots of possibilities with Trish!

My biggest issue with the game is hardly gameplay related though. It's the online component, which is sorely lacking. In fact, I find it odd that the fighter to have the best online component this generation is DOA4, which was released in 2006.

In my (limited) experience, DOA4 online was so laggy it was unplayable. Honestly I'm just happy at how well recent Capcom fighters perform when playing them online, I feel that all other features are just gravy.

Still, the lack of spectator mode is a huge disappointment and makes the lobby system kinda pointless.

The matchmaking issues are bad but don't really bother me that much, since the game has fight request mode. I'm used to using that in SF4 and SSF4 as well and it still works fine here. Regardless of how good and fast the matchmaking is, I'd rather be playing single player than sitting around waiting and staring at menu screens. This time around you can even turn on fight request in training mode, it's awesome.

Even were it true, that still doesn't explain why trying to find ranked matches is such a painful ordeal.

I spent last night trying to get into a ranked match. Took a half an hour to get into just one, and it turned out to be my first RAGE QUIT.

Fucker.

Had a few more good rounds with zircon just now -- my new Team Ragequit (Arthur bottle toss, Haggar lariat, Storm Whirlwind) is a blast to play. Use Whirlwind assist to push them back to keep throwing daggers, and Haggar if they superjump. If they have a projectile that beats daggers, go gold and throw lances instead.

my team ragequit is sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force!

Had a few more good rounds with zircon just now -- my new Team Ragequit (Arthur bottle toss, Haggar lariat, Storm Whirlwind) is a blast to play. Use Whirlwind assist to push them back to keep throwing daggers, and Haggar if they superjump. If they have a projectile that beats daggers, go gold and throw lances instead.

So is this a fighter, or just an outlet for you to grief people, Bardic? :-P

Anyway so I finally finished Resonance of Fate(good game that would have been better condensed), so now I'll be coming back to MvC3. I'm pretty sure most of you have the mechanics down and will be able to wail on my ass consistently.

...I'm beating a lot of the folks around here with Random All because I have a decent grasp on the basics of spacing, poking, and hit confirming into my combos...

This is pretty telling about the game's accessibility to a larger audience. Naturally you still might get your ass handed to you by someone who knows what they're doing, but the idea that somebody doesn't need to go hardcore nuts to learn a character as long as they understand how the game works to be competent and have fun is a good one.

my team ragequit is sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force! sentinel force!

This basically.

sorry i couldn't play earlier i was just heading out. we'll play soon

Sentinel definitely seems like he has some tools... but is he really OP? Both Rocket Punch and Sentinel Force take forever to come out. There are way faster spammable projectiles out there.

Laser spit (which is just H) is spammable. Rocket Punch and Sentinel Force aren't as spammable as they were in MvC 2 but now Rocket Punch OTGs into a free hyper and Sentinel Force (Charge) is an annoying assist since it takes up so much space. The thing about Sentinel that is OP about him is that he has the highest health and the highest damage output and putting him in level 3 X-Factor makes him more than capable of wiping out a whole team on his own in seconds. He IS clunky so there are ways to approach him. It's just eating a launcher will pretty much get one character to lose at least half their health after an easy air combo OTG free hyper.

So yea in some ways OP. Just annoying to fight mostly.

Certain characters just feel really good at Sentinel-smashing, though. I dunno if it's the people I've played against or what, but with Chun-li's crazy kick (which I activate often because I have a nasty habit of pressing buttons twice in rapid succession) you can basically juggle Sentinel for an eternity. Either his shield take a split-second longer than most or the people I was playing against just kept on trying to push me back with spammy moves.

I try to snap in Sentinel asap, especially if the guy is really bad with the other two characters he chose since that means he is just banking on a lvl 3 x-factor sent victory.

are you or are you not waiting to get better internet access to play because this is getting confusing and annoying