OCR MVC 2 pt 2 is coming. Thanks Diotrans!

The Biznut

Thanks a ton diotrans. I apologize to all for my consistent absence since my wedding early Sept. I just don't have the time I thought I would to be around here regularly at all, and it isn't fair to you all.

I am pumped diotrans is taking over!

I think it might be in everyones best interest to have a new thread started, as diotrans suggested.

Maybe I'll see you guys at the viewing party! Peace!

What makes compos interesting are the limitations one works with. Most often, you are limited by time and you have to do your best to come up with something cool in a short amount of time.

One third of a year, to me, seems like too long to make things interesting. I doubt the production time for Thriller was much longer than four months.

But even though I think this should've been pushed back more, I am glad to see it and am looking forward to hopefully another great batch of entries.

cheers.

The only solid idea for a video I have is for a remix I have submitted that hasn't even been judged yet... so basically, I have intent, but absolutely no ideas. I will think about it though. I want to do something completely different from my last video.

Thanks Biznut for organizing this again!! The last one was a blast, and I have a feeling we're going to have even more entries and awesomeness this time around. Yay!

What makes compos interesting are the limitations one works with. Most often, you are limited by time and you have to do your best to come up with something cool in a short amount of time.

One third of a year, to me, seems like too long to make things interesting. I doubt the production time for Thriller was much longer than four months.

But even though I think this should've been pushed back more, I am glad to see it and am looking forward to hopefully another great batch of entries.

cheers.

When it comes to making something relatively long and challenging as a hobby that may require time coordination between multiple participants, all of whom are managing other (more important and immediate) obligations, four months is not as long as it sounds. You cite the music video for Thriller, but you are ignoring the monetary incentive behind its production for all parties involved... surely I'll make space for something if it sustains my livelihood. And we're not including editing.... lol.

I'll see what I can do for this one - hopefully I can start shooting on the weekends. And if I move as I plan, shooting this video will require a 70+ mile commute each day of filming (hurray for 4 months).

I'm well aware of the difficulties in coordinating amateur projects. I use the Thriller example without any ignorance; the point is that no one is expecting or attempting a Thriller. Compo veterans understand how limitations can and do encourage creativity.

The previous compo ran for 2 months and I don't think anyone would say we failed to get a creative set of entries. I just want to dispel any expectations that by doubling the running time we're going to double the quantity or quality of offerings.

The previous compo ran for 2 months and I don't think anyone would say we failed to get a creative set of entries. I just want to dispel any expectations that by doubling the running time we're going to double the quantity or quality of offerings.

Well, considering what I have seen in compos at OCR, and I guess from people in general, procrastination will always be a major factor.

I can't speak for Kaleb on this one but I agree, four months would not necessarily result in better/more entries... but I think announcing it early will help attract more people, many of whom will express intent and not follow through, but surely we'll see new talent this time. At least this will dispel some of the "wait, when did this happen and how did I miss out on it?" confusion.

I agree that four months gives us more time to promote the MVC and get more participants. I also agree that there is something to be said for the challenge of having a short deadline to work with. But I guess as long as we intend to continue having the MVCs, people can really start working on music videos whenever since there isn't a theme or anything. So for instance Biznut could have announced that the challenge will be from the end of June to the end of August, but I feel like that would have been functionally the same. Except I guess we would be on the honor system not to start working on our videos, but then would there be any benefit to putting off when we can start? I feel like that would just crush people's momentum if they are already coming up with ideas and having the inspiration to work on them now.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I don't know what the best solution is.

Nor do I claim to know what the best solution is. My prediction in the previous compo was we'd get a half-dozen entries... and we got a half-dozen entries. Good guess - or maybe I've just been around long enough to know what to expect.

I do not denigrate the potential benefits of a longer compo period. What I'm getting at is for every potential benefit there is a potential risk: You're not just giving participants more time to work on their entry, you're giving them more time to lose interest in it. You're not just giving people more time to become aware of the compo, you're giving them more time to forget about it.

There's no 'correct' deadline; there are always pros and cons. However there's often a 'sweet spot' and I simply don't feel 4 months is it. What of it? Well nothing, really. This conversation is purely academic... but I guess we've got time for it (:

cheers.

wordswordswordswords

I agree that people could lose interest/forget about the competition more easily with this great a period of time, but even the 2 and a halfish months we alotted last time managed to leave some people upset that time was short, they didn't know about it soon enough.

...or perhaps those were just procrastinators pinning the blame on something else *cough-friendlyHunter-cough*

I can only assume that the best way to encourage maximum output of entries is to:

a) Keep the thread alive and interesting. (Teaser screen caps? Viewing party plans? Concepts? Art? Example videos of something you want to achieve? Collabs?)

B) Remind the world that even small, quick, silly submissions still provide a welcome change of pace... and even an hour of fiddling around with setting footage to an OCRemix or shooting video of your room is welcome.

Hey, I'm making something pretty unique... this should go well...

545_mushroom-cloud-hb.jpg

A QUICK NOTE TO THOSE LOOKING FOR IDEAS

I highly recommend putting yourself in a situation where you're able to listen to mass amounts of ocremixes on your ipod or other portable music device... whether it's on the way to work, at the gym, walking to/from school, where ever; and just think about what would go with the music.

I've been doing this nearly daily for a while now and I easily have 8 or 9 solid video concepts. Seriously. I'm not intending to put anyone down for a lack of creativity but I'm in a situation where my biggest problem is choosing which ONE I want to do.

I agree with what analoq says, there is always an upside and downside to any time. I also feel that it could have been announced later without too much of a negative effect. I personally won't be doing anything with my video for a while.

When I think about this event, I always think about the viewing party. It was a great time last time, and I really think that is the most important part of the event. In a lot of ways, you don't even need to announce anything else, just that there is a viewing party on such and such a date, and if you have a video made in time, people will watch it. I'm not concerned about how long people take to make it, which is why personally I feel that the Music Video Challenge doesn't really require a set start time.

analoq does bring up a point that I do agree with; some people will probably lose interest over 4 months. I agree. LAOS has some good suggestions to help keep things alive. Even if people lose interest, there will still be those who don't. For them, 4 months is probably awesome. I think that come Viewing Party time, everyone will get back into it.

I plan on being at Magfest this year, I would love to run MVC3 from Sept until then and have an in house viewing party there. I plan on doing whatever I need to to make that happen. That would be another 4 month period. If this time seems to work out, and the next one does too (Which is should, simply because its MAG fest. If DoD gets 20+ entries for the MAG edition, the MVC should be larger too) then I think I will just host a viewing party triannually, announce right away. If we can get into a natural rhythm then it may require less direct effort each time around.

Those are my thoughts anyway. They extend a bit down the road, but I don't apologize for that, I'd like to see this event stick around, it's fun!

I plan on being at Magfest this year,

Awesome.

I would love to run MVC3 from Sept until then and have an in house viewing party there.

Awesome!!! I think that would be a really fun event that a lot of people would be interested in going to. I'd love a live viewing party ^_^

I highly recommend putting yourself in a situation where you're able to listen to mass amounts of ocremixes on your ipod or other portable music device... whether it's on the way to work, at the gym, walking to/from school, where ever; and just think about what would go with the music.

Ahh such a good idea. I'll have to do this soon.

With all this time to work on the video, I'm tempted to do something more elaborate involving costume and set designs and stuff. And having actual people appear in the video, maybe even have them acting!

Ahh such a good idea. I'll have to do this soon.

With all this time to work on the video, I'm tempted to do something more elaborate involving costume and set designs and stuff. And having actual people appear in the video, maybe even have them acting!

It was worth it for me. One concept I may go with involves not just costumes, but, like, animation over the footage and/or magic spells and stuff.

I have NO idea how I'm going to do it.

It was worth it for me. One concept I may go with involves not just costumes, but, like, animation over the footage and/or magic spells and stuff.

I have NO idea how I'm going to do it.

with the wonders of motion tracking and photoshop/after effects and a hell of a lot of patience and skill, i see this as happening. I have similar thoughts in my mind about what i'll do for mine.

...or perhaps those were just procrastinators pinning the blame on something else *cough-friendlyHunter-cough*

You can't not-procrastinate everything :<

But yeah, I wanted to either do a really good job, or none at all. At this point I'm still mentally storyboarding exactly what happens at exactly which points in the song - it's hard because I have to listen to the song to find out whether or not the "choreography" in my head will work (and then rework it if it doesn't), but I'm happy to say stuff is falling into place.

You can't not-procrastinate everything :<

But yeah, I wanted to either do a really good job, or none at all. At this point I'm still mentally storyboarding exactly what happens at exactly which points in the song - it's hard because I have to listen to the song to find out whether or not the "choreography" in my head will work (and then rework it if it doesn't), but I'm happy to say stuff is falling into place.

Consider previous procrastination redeemed.

I can 100% relate to this last paragraph. I very rarely half-ass anything.