All the greatest hits use 4 chords

Sammy D

pop music is awesome and you should feel bad for feeling bad [glad?].

Just not my style. *Shrug* Truth be told, I hardly listen to anything that isn't video game related anymore, lol. On my "Top 25 Played" list theres only 5 songs that aren't VG, and 3/5 are Dream Theater.

I was playing with the I V vi IV chord progression on my guitar, though, and I can see why its so widely used; it just sounds good, whether you're playing full chords or just power chords.

LOVE this video.

A friend of mine showed it to me a while back... now I can't help but hear Canon on the rare occasion that I listen to Basketcase, lol.

Okay, okay, so I'm not completely averse to popular music... gotta start somewhere, ne?

I guess it's ok if the song is played right, otherwise, it'll just sound repetitious and lame.

Well, that's the case with any chord progression. Use it too much in a song and it will become repetitious and boring.

EDIT: And it likely comes down to a matter of taste too...

really need to finish my thoughts before posting. :P

Proves what I've always known: modern 'popular' music is drab, drab, drab. People need to get out of the first quarter of basic theory and explore.

But how would you go about writing a catchy pop tune without keeping it relatively simple?

Once you leave that first quarter of theory, which I highly doubt "they" are following anyway, it becomes pretty much impossible to make something with the same level of 'hum-ability.'

Each type of music needs what it needs to accomplish what it does. If it's a simple chord progression to carry lyrics, then so be it.

Mainstream music is all about the production values, not necessarily the note content, imo.

Besides, I highly doubt Schubert's lieder would get much radio play if he were writing them today, and those are relatively simple as far as theory goes.

But how would you go about writing a catchy pop tune without keeping it relatively simple?

Once you leave that first quarter of theory, which I highly doubt "they" are following anyway, it becomes pretty much impossible to make something with the same level of 'hum-ability.'

Each type of music needs what it needs to accomplish what it does. If it's a simple chord progression to carry lyrics, then so be it.

Mainstream music is all about the production values, not necessarily the note content, imo.

Besides, I highly doubt Schubert's lieder would get much radio play if he were writing them today, and those are relatively simple as far as theory goes.

And that's the problem, as I see it. No-one cares for the beauty that comes with complexity. They don't want to try and explore, they want it handed to them on a platter, like a pre-made TV dinner: no effort in enjoying it.

But we're getting solidly off-topic here. :o

Niiiiice... glad I don't listen to pop music... although my luck the next metal song I listen to will have those same chords, lol.

On a related note:

Along the same lines as Axis of Awesome.

Kind of similar just not done in a medley. Some of the examples are really stretching it.

That was an awesome video, I'd like to check out the rest of their act.