OCR02025 - Gradius III "Space Ace"

djpretzel

This is glorious; another (IMO) very good example for the right balance between staying true to the source and making the remix your own thing. The awesome synth gives it that certain "old Konami game" feeling.

If I had to criticise one thing, I'd say that the breakdown at 2:08 sounds kinda generic and dull.

The source melody actually sounds more natural at this tempo so good choice to slow it down. On the other hand, the abrupt chord changes of the original stand out more because of reverb, especially at instances such as 1:10 and 3:34 where the previous section's harmonies bleed into the new one's. Nice intro with cool cosmic timbres, although the chord changes and tempo change at the end of it were very abrupt. Also, I agree with Penwald that 2:08 is rather bland; instead of playing a melody, the lead plays one rhythmic riff repeatedly until 3:06. It would sound better if the source melody joined in counterpoint with that riff at 2:39 rather than waiting until 3:06. Finally, I think the ending (4:03-) could have been improved a lot if the background harmony's dynamic was gradually tapered so that the oscillating semi-percussive sound gradually came into the foreground instead of starting in it the second it enters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't really know why, but this night I just had the sudden urge to listen to this song. I don't even like Gradius that much (my old man did though, man I totally bought the wrong game, but at least he liked it :P). In other words, you did something amazing here. Just thought you should know ;).

Its amazing, with Jade´s Catacombs this is gonna be my top 5 bLiNd remixes. or my top 5 Ocremix remixes!!! :D, its a time travel, I played gradius III about 13 years ago, and the remix reminds me, the atmosphere, the god difficulty of these stages... its been a long time and I almost cannot remember the original tracks (Especially the intro) so, after listening the OST, I said: OMFG, Its a perfect Selection (oh wait...) In the Intro, the sounds is similar to the Epoch´s rising to the Sky, thank you bLiNd for share this remix with us!!

Suggestions(not about this remix):

- maybe a Top gear 1 trance remix :D

- maybe a "Lab 16´s Ruin" Remix from Chrono Trigger

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Listening to ReMixes like this one makes me just want to jump in a space ship and start shooting at anything that moves. For the safety of my community, it's probably a good thing I don't have a space ship then. So since that won't happen, I guess I'll just get by through putting this on my play list. bLiNd does another hit electronica mix, what more is there to say?

• 8 months later...

This is an awesome piece of music, and I never had expected a remix I had on my SD card to be beaten. And now, I know that bLiNd has done such an amazing job that this will be listened to for ages. It takes very nice work to make me hook up my SNES and play a game a remix is based on... Congratulations, "A WINNER IS YOU"

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02025 - Gradius III "Space Ace"