Official OCR-Tan Game Thread! Signs of a Possible Revival?

Mirby

indeed. Also wingless if he is still available can help probably (wasn't he the one who mad a quick test for a mmx like tan game?).

He did, but then he disappeared. His stipulation for helping in the first place was that he was the only one that was going to do any of the coding.

I would advise against actively seeking his help as I can easily see him making the same stipulation and leaving again, effectively killing the project again. I'm sure his ego regarding coding work is well deserved, but this would be a home project for him at best. Something that would get dropped the second he gets something important for his work.

Also, I think there are some people in the same boat as me being that I mainly want to do this for the experience of making a game, and possibly putting something in my portfolio. So people who already have a lot of experience with this stuff may very well get this project done efficiently, but rob us eager amateurs of this opportunity.

Yeah, I reread the posts regarding that and he did seem to be a bit overprotective of it; this isn't a one-person job. Like I've said many times in the past, if OCR-Tan represents the community, then the OCR-Tan game should be worked on by the community, not just one person.

That being said, I found the swf he had made, and it is a good example of what my goal is.

This game concept has had a pretty rough history. It keeps getting dropped and resurrected. It began with Darkesword asking for some OCR-Tan sprites just for fun. Chumble Spuzz came along and posted a little running animation of 4-Tan based on the MMX sprite. That began the discussions. A lot of people chimed in about the story and the bosses, and whatnot. Wingless decided to lend a hand and actually crank out something. The Coop and I hopped on board afterward. Wingless, as the only coder had the right to dictate exactly how much he was willing to write, so the original idea was a single boss fight between 4-Tan and Queue Tortoise. Unfortunately, it never fully panned out as The Wingless seemingly dropped out of contact.

Some time later, DJ SymBiotiX offered to do the whole shebang, from intro stage, to end credits. Chumble Spuzz, The Coop, and I all hopped on board again. A lot of ideas were tossed around again, and a lot of concepts were added to and refined. Eventually, it just sort of fizzled out. Most of the members stopped posting, and the private boards we had set up for the project died a little while ago.

Now Mirby's taken charge of this, resurrecting it for a second time. You might want to talk to Chumble Spuzz and The Coop and see if they have the stuff they worked on, and if they might want to chip in some more if they can. A lot of the stuff we made was never posted in the main OCR-Tan thread.

Also, I think there are some people in the same boat as me being that I mainly want to do this for the experience of making a game, and possibly putting something in my portfolio.

I definitely agree with this statement; I'm eager to see if my skills are high enough in order to contribute to something as cool as a game of this caliber.

Well, seeing as I screwed my attempt up :P I come bearing gifts. Here are the gifs and sprite sheets that Chumble Spuzz made for my version of the game. If you ask him, I'm sure he would be down for doing the rest (I have no idea of how busy he is, but I would bet that if he had some free time he would love to get back on this project).

http://www.djsbx.com/Zips/TanSprites.zip

Enjoy :P

Greetings Programs.

Sorry for the longish delay. Been busy writing. As far as I know, I still have the original story I wrote (with stage ideas and such), the two frames of animation I made for the Tortoise boss using the sprite given to me, as well as the couple of Tan sprites I tinkered with regarding "Nice Shot," which (as far as I know) weren't going to be used. I also know I have the background I made for Wingless' program.

Give me a couple of days to dig them up. Tomorrow's looking busy so it would be it until Monday sometime.

@Luke: okay, just asking.

@Donut: Yeah, I'm taking a break from IRC... why, is ETG giving you shit because I'm not there?

@Deep Thought: You're a supercomputer, figure it out! ^_^

Seriously though, hmm...

Queue Tortoise: Already sprited; basic poses (Time)

Trolling Vulture: Concept art-ed (Fire)

Lawless Hyena: (Dark)

Midirip Chimpanzee: (Wind)

Plagiarizing Platypus: (Water)

Baudline Badger: (Gravity)

Multiplying Spambot: (Ice)

Idler Mantis: (Earth)

That sound good. I can elaborate on reasons if you want.