Official OCR-Tan Game Thread! Signs of a Possible Revival?

Mirby

Hey for those of you helping with the coding, what language do you guys prefer? I found a java library that should be easy to support this type of game, but if you guys are comfortable with c/c++, I can find a better one.

Don't use Java for creating games. Its libraries are just too slow. Anything in the C family should be fine, though.

Also, how exactly is the music gonna be made for this? I wanna help if I can, but that's entirely based on my time availability and who's doing music, etc. And it may be better to leave it up to people who actually have mixes posted, too.

I'm still waiting on LuketheXjesse and Cyril.

AND YOU'RE NOT HELPING WITH THE CODING! BWWWAAAAAA!!!!!!

Actually, anyone's opinion counts here. But we've already found a pretty smooth Java engine for this. However, if you can help with finding a suitable C family replacement, I think we could work something out. And you'd get your name on the first page under Programming Team or whatever title I gave it!

Well, for one, there's the XNA libraries for C#. Windows-specific, but integrates with XBOX Live, with only minor alterations. Actually relatively pleasant to work with. Doesn't draw primitives, but it can handle 2-D graphics fairly well, and has relatively simple shader scripting built-in.

I haven't really worked with many other libraries. Most I've tried have been in C++, and most of them were uuugly thanks to C++ fruit cocktail syntax . And I don't wanna help with the programming anyway, I'm doing enough of that at school. :3

• 4 weeks later...

DUBLPOST!

Actually, just wanted to notify everyone that this is still going on. Our main programmer, TehDonut, has found a C+ engine, and I just sent him backgrounds from Crush Crawfish's stage (X3), since the opening stage is a port. Also, if you read this, Donut, here's some tiles.

SNES_MMX3_Tiles.png

Also, for you folks, here's a background that I snapped.

MegaManX3U115.png

Let's keep on truckin'! Music will be done once other obligations have been fulfilled by the composers too.

Don't use Java for creating games. Its libraries are just too slow. Anything in the C family should be fine, though.

I'm writing Cura in Java. No performance issues here. I was getting 1600fps with the old tile renderer. Note that I never did any serious optimization to that code, and that was with vertex lighting, several tile/bg layers, and other bits you probably won't be using.

well i dont post much on the forums, but i hang out in mirc, so if you wanna chip in just idle #ocrtangame on etg

also, anyone else who wants to help out, feedback would be greatly appreciated on these demos. I may post some from time to time so be sure to check in every now and then

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Donut and Luke are back in school soo.... yeah.

Make that three of us.

42 never got his stages done, so Cyril won't be able to make music since he needs that.

Methinks I've missed a memo somewhere. :|

I will be sending out memos of my own tomorrow.

Still, there's one pressing question: who exactly is doing the actual level designs themselves?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...