Official OCR-Tan Game Thread! Signs of a Possible Revival?

Mirby

The problem with the idea isn't the idea itself. It's the work needed behind it. Lots of people are all hyped up until they see the amount of coding, editing, fixing, drawing, editing, fixing, scoring, more coding, bug fixing and all those other things that come with the idea. That work wall slams them in the face and that fire in their belly quickly gets put out. Even a one stage demo was simply too much a couple years back if you recall.

It's a cool idea, but finding a group of people who are going to have the time and drive to finish it is by far the hardest part.

Sorry mirby. I said i would try and finish at least the first level, and I straight up didn't do it. I guess I just felt like I was working too hard at something that was supposed to be fun, but with no one else helping out and all it kinda fell on me to finish it, and that sucks =(

But if anyone wants to pick this project up or start a different one, (Apparently Unity is stupidly easy as a game development tool) I still have the source code.

If you make an FF1 hack or what have you, I'll do up 8-bit versions of the characters, and help with other graphical needs. I don't think I've ever done 8-bit pixel work before.

That would be fun! And I know from experience, 8-bit spriting is fun but challenging. Can't have too much detail, but you still need to make sure everyone can tell what the heck it is. :P

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
This is an unfinished legacy of the site by now, having been attempted several times, and I think it's high time we actually finished it.

I agree with this statement. Imho, a lot of careful thought would be needed in determining what engine/language is going to be used.

I have looked occasionally at other engines, but I'm still not sure what would be best for this project. So many different pros/cons.

But ideally this project should be treated like three separate projects:

1. The visual aspect

2. The musical aspect

3. The programming aspect (I feel like choosing the right engine would solve 60% to 75% of this part.)

I have looked occasionally at other engines, but I'm still not sure what would be best for this project. So many different pros/cons.

But ideally this project should be treated like three separate projects:

1. The visual aspect

2. The musical aspect

3. The programming aspect (I feel like choosing the right engine would solve 60% to 75% of this part.)

Yeah, definitely.

I'm still keeping ocre on as a part of our Team Rocket

Here's what I'll do: this week I will take some time to consult with some friends of mine, weigh/compare a some engines, and hopefully have something to report.

Currently, I just have too many questions and not enough answers.

Also, I'm always open to any suggestions for game engines, too.

I do believe that this will need community momentum/enthusiasm to succeed, but we still need to lay the groundwork before we uncork the champagne, if that sort of makes sense.