Can You Hear This?

DragonAvenger

Hrmm. I can hear all the way up to 22kHz but the note becomes progressively 'lower' and less irritating. Is that my headphone's fault because there's no way that's right...

EDIT:

The problem with home tests like these is that if you are playing back very high frequencies on a not-so-good sound system (even if YOU think it's good), you can potentially end up with some signal saturation or distortion. This can add some extra harmonics (possibly below the fundamental, which you're trying to hear), which in turn can lead you to believe you're able to hear that high when you really can't.

Oh. Right. ^w^

zircon beat me to it. Could be a filtering problem on their end (I don't have a fancy-pants signal grapher thing so I can't confirm/deny), but crappy speakers could also be the case... it certainly could be in mine.

25 years, but 18kHz in spirit.

SHOWED HER SHE CAN'T HEAR 17.

Psst it's not a bad thing when they think you can't hear them.

Oh, we're supposed to use headphones?

Okay. Well, without, I can hear up to 20K. I'm 25, been a musician my whole life (concerts and whatnot), and listen to music with headphones. 17K freakin hurt my head so bad.

I'll try it with the headphones next...

(Ouch my head...)

{Edit} - Up to 21K with headphones, although they were pretty shitty ones...

17 is very hard to hear.

Everything past that, I get the sensation that something is making noise, but I wouldn't consciously recognize it as a tone, it just ends up sounding like background noises. I am 29.

It doesn't help also that when you click on something you "expect" to hear something so you are all kind of listening as closely as you can and thus in a blind test I probably wouldn't hear 17 kHz either.

What's the "average" range of most songs on this site? Like, what range do people reasonably put instruments in? I would guess that very few people make music with a lot of stuff going on past 12 kHz, but I could be wrong.

I can hear 17 clearly and can barely barely make out 18. I'm 21 so I guess that isn't too bad. Been playing in bands and orchestras at all various levels (terrible elementary school band to touring other countries) from 4th grade till I graduated high school and even now as I'm finishing undergrad I blast music on a regular basis.

Definitely noticing the damage.

I have a waxy thing atm which is a bit impairing for HF, but I can still hear the 17kHz fairly well. I suspect 18kHz would be my limit normally.

Just btw, a 15 minute outside break every 45 minutes in a club can be the different between temporary loudness recruitment and permanent damage. Dance clubs are LEGALLY obliged to offer ear protection on request if their levels are above the threshold of damage to the average ear. If you're in doubt, ask for it. You will never get that sensitivity back once it's gone.

EDIT: Here's a handy graph so you can see how quickly those ridiculously huge club speakers will break your ears. As soon as you hit that line, you're getting permanent damage. It may only be slight, but it does add up because it never comes back.

maximum_exposure.gif

I wouldn't say the graphs are completely accurate - for example, it is reported that the band members of Manowar, the world's loudest band, have excellent hearing.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to take precaution when in a relatively high decibel area.

I wouldn't say the graphs are completely accurate - for example, it is reported that the band members of Manowar, the world's loudest band, have excellent hearing.

It is as accurate as you can get for the average person. That exact graph is used by professionals as a benchmark for making the laws of high SPL exposures. It's a bit annoying when I'm clearly trying to make people aware of what they might be doing to their ears to say it's not accurate and that one band have at some point claimed to have good hearing who in all likelihood all wear ear protection when they play or they would be thoroughly deaf by now according to their loudness claims.

I'm just saying - club culturists generally speaking have no idea what 3-4 hours in the club might be doing to them and the should definitely be more concerned.