Vibrato

Ok, so I know how to do vibrato on say, a 3xOsc, via the "INS" tab of channel settings and using the LFO. But what if I want better control over it, say if I want to be able to determine vibrato on a note-by-note basis (tracker-style, ish).

The best idea I can come up with is to link the "AMT" of the LFO to some controller (X-Y controller, or peak controller, etc), with the mapping set up so that 100% on the controller will give me the right AMT for full vibrato, and 0% will correspond to no vibrato. Then just automate that controller appropriately.

I haven't actually tried the above method yet, but are there any other/better ways to do this?

well whenever I use vibrato, I map it AMT of the LFO to the mod wheel so I have an easy amount of control on vibrato...

one thing to mention about this tho is that when I was a noob that didn't know how reason worked, I actually automated the pitch bend function in a way that would emulate vibrato - its a pretty slow and annoying way to do it, but if you know what your doing, you can get more control on your vibrato than from using LFO, and therefore, a more realistic vibrato sound. If thats what you meant by manually putting in vibrato luke, I suppose that would be the way to do it.

well whenever I use vibrato, I map it AMT of the LFO to the mod wheel so I have an easy amount of control on vibrato...

That works except i don't have any control devices and sequence everything by hand =D

(ok i have a hercules dj control mp3 for fun but I'd just feel awkward using it as a midi controller =P I like sequencing by hand anyhoo.)

That works except i don't have any control devices and sequence everything by hand =D

Dunno where in FL it is, but there must be a way to automate the mod wheel cc. As in, manually input automation points for it. Check the manual.

edit: found an image of FL's piano roll, there's an area below it where you should be able to choose to view and edit the mod wheel intensity.

one thing to mention about this tho is that when I was a noob that didn't know how reason worked, I actually automated the pitch bend function in a way that would emulate vibrato - its a pretty slow and annoying way to do it, but if you know what your doing, you can get more control on your vibrato than from using LFO, and therefore, a more realistic vibrato sound. If thats what you meant by manually putting in vibrato luke, I suppose that would be the way to do it.

I've actually done this, so I know what you're talking about there. Once when I imported a MIDI from somewhere else, however, there were these strange lines in the sequencer and whenever they appeared, the notes would bend pitch to a specific way. I was never able to figure out how it worked though.

Your way DOES work, and I've used it, but it wouldn't work for doing crazy dives and stuff.

...man, I need a keyboard with a pitch wheel or smth.

• 3 weeks later...

an easy way to work with vibrato is to automate the depth of whatever LFO you're using to control it (depth = amount of either pitchbend or volume fluctuation you're using to create the vibrato effect). by automate, i mean ramp it up when you want vibrato, and ramp it to 0 when you don't need it. recording automation by just clicking and dragging is a good idea here - in fl, just hit the record button and control the level of the knob by turning it with your mouse when needed.

i thought that was a little self-explanatory. did i miss something?