Surround sound on headphones

Dhsu

Since I don't have the money or space for a 5.1 setup, I've been doing some research on getting simulated surround on headphones. With the right algorithms, it can be done to an extremely convincing degree, as illustrated by

. From what I've seen so far, the biggest two competing algorithms are Dolby Headphone and Creative's CMSS-3DHeadphone, which are available via special hardware, i.e. sound cards or headphones with integrated processing hardware like these. I was tempted to get a pair of the headphones when they were $70, but I've started to lean towards the sound card route because I can use any pair of headphones with it and therefore could upgrade my buds/cans later.

So my questions to anyone who might know are as follows:

1) Is there any alternative that would work with onboard sound (specifically of the Realtek variety)? It would most likely use software processing but I could deal with a framerate hit if it means I can hear where shots and footsteps are coming from.

2) If not, what's the cheapest sound card I could get that has this functionality? I've heard prophet mention several times that this is one of the only reasons to get a discrete sound card nowadays, so I'm calling you out prophet!

i'll admit that i'm unfamiliar with the tech or specs behind 5.1 headphones. i usually recommend discrete speakers, since you can get a decent set of logi 5.1s for around the same price or less than you'd be paying for these headphones. wiring can be an issue, though.

i know little about this technology, but as far as i can see i'd avoid CMSS-3D if possible. there's only a few cards that support it, and they're all X-Fi (aka, notoriously incompatible, with sloppy drivers and poopy support). dolby's likely a better route.

tbh, a set with integrated processing would be a better choice, as far as i can see. it'd be nice to get a good sound card and then have nice cans, but that'll cost more in the long run and you'll have fewer issues getting the sound card to work with your system.

if you're just asking about what sound card is best that's available nowadays, i'm only intimately familiar with one - the Soundblaster Live! 24-bit usb card. i liked it, a lot. don't use it now because it conflicts with some drivers for my recording interface. when i divorce gaming and music onto different computers, i'm going to reinstall it and pray that the drivers still work on w7.

Thanks for the reply, prophet. :D

I ended up buying an X-Fi XtremeGamer on impulse for $30 on eBay, only afterwards reading the horror stories about people getting horrible sound quality and static due to bad Windows 7 drivers and/or shoddy capacitors. Fortunately, it seems I'm one of the lucky ones -- I've had 0 problems so far, and I'm pretty satisfied with the surround effect. A nice perk as well is that now I can use ALchemy to re-enable surround in the DirectSound3D games that got screwed by the switch to OpenAL in Windows 7.

Thanks again for the help. Hopefully this info helps someone else out someday!

There's a difference between simulated 5.1 algorithms and abusing straight to binarual recording with a dummy or using head-related-transfer-functions of which that demo is one of the latter two.

Simulated 5.1 is okay, but no where near as convincing as that demo - though you've probably noticed that already.

It's my understanding that there actually is some HRTF kwakery involved in the CMSS-3D algorithms. True, the effect is not as dramatic, but I wasn't expecting it it to be perfect, since everyone's head/ear configuration is different. Still, it's pretty close to what I was looking for...if you turn it on while listening to music, it literally sounds as if it jumped to the speakers in front of you. :)

It's my understanding that there actually is some HRTF kwakery involved in the CMSS-3D algorithms. True, the effect is not as dramatic, but I wasn't expecting it it to be perfect, since everyone's head/ear configuration is different. Still, it's pretty close to what I was looking for...if you turn it on while listening to music, it literally sounds as if it jumped to the speakers in front of you. :)

Well if it's a good algorithm it'll be based on them I would hope. Essentially though it's like forcing 3D on a movie to me. If I sound bitter it's because I am - had to do a presentation and paper on this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Smyth Realiser A8 -> THE ultimate surround sound you can get for headphones!

With this I would take it to my local recording studio and have it calibrated so I can mix right at home with my headphones as if I was mixing on monitors at that studio! You can do it in any environment: concert hall, outdoors, your car, your room, your parent's room, your boss's office, dance clubs, home theater, movie theater, etc... An audio engineer's dream. This takes mastering to a whole new level!

The problem is... it's $3000 :banghead: Well it does include the Stax SRS-2050 II ($750) just so no one dares trying to calibrate it on a shitty headphone.

If only I had cash... Oh btw this works for gaming as well. I wonder what my local movie theater environment + gaming would sound like.