OCR02028 - Super Street Fighter IV "Time to Oil Up"

djpretzel

I believe I said "Nevermind the fact that it's... not really psytrance. But that's just nitpicking." Key word here is "nevermind." I believe I'm entitled to my subjective thoughts, and those thoughts are that it just isn't a very exciting remix. The vocal edits were neat, but the song as a whole felt really uninspired and forced. As for what I said about the mastering, I wasn't referring to volume level, I was referring to the hard limiting present throughout the song, with a prime example being the drum fill at 1:04. Basically, it sounds over-compressed. But more importantly than any technical gripes I have with the song, I just think it's pretty boring.

I like the idea behind this mix, don't get me wrong, it is totally juno reactor-esque and I love that; it's certainly a unique style to OCR.

It's just... the production is really keeping me from enjoying this to its fullest extent.

The drums are lacking in punch and power, in fact the whole mix is very flat, which I find strange for a zircon production.

The arrangement is badass, though, so props there - probably just a one time fluke of the ears with the mixing.

This is still an easily recommendable track to electronic music fans, it's a lot of fun.

Though, now you've got me wanting to do an ethnic track, which I definitely don't have the time to do... curses

When I read "psytrance" in the write-up, I thought of something like the Goa I used to listen to in the late 90s, but the remix at hand is much, much "softer" than the old stuff.

Once the resulting confusion was gone, though, I enjoyed the remix. Very strong ethnic feel, good use of vocals, lots of variation.

Hakan's voice sample though...I can understand wanting to use it, as it (and the whole trailer) is awesome, but it sounds so incredibly low-fi compared to the rest of the mix. Probably would've been better if it weren't in the remix.

• 3 weeks later...
Self-plagiarism!
That's a very serious charge! djpretzel needs to take himself to court, where if found guilty he will have to pay himself a fine. He ought to know better than to try to pass off his own work as if it was his own. Next time he should get his permission before quoting himself without attribution.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Psytranced-charged electronica? You have my attention. The beginning is easily the best part. Jill's vocals REALLY sets this up nicely. Then the music just sounds so amazing! I can actually relax to this even though it's upbeat for 99% of the track. The voice clip was a nice touch, especially since you didn't over do it with Hakan sounds all over the mix. Outro was very nice and settled out well. Very cool. It's almost criminal on how long it took me to review this, but Zircon, Jill, A + for you!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I really like this one. It’s such a high-energy track and the Middle Eastern style is used really well in my opinion. Jill’s vocals in the intro and ending really help sell the theme. zircon’s no slouch either, of course, and he’s used speedy arps, various plucky instruments and a constant driving beat to knock this mix out of the park. It’s absolutely glorious and I love every second of it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02028 - Super Street Fighter IV "Time to Oil Up"