Mother 3 - Giant Robot-Pig (Natrual Killer Cyborg)

TMF128

This is my work-in-progress of "Natural Killer Cyborg" from Mother 3.

It is pretty much only the backing track.

I still don't have the guitar and bass parts recorded yet. I can't record them until I get a my Pod XT Live (recording device.)

The drum track, and synth stuff is finished though.

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=755

I feel like something about the EQ needs improvement, but I don't know what it is.

EDIT: Here is the source.

It's kind of hard to comment with just drums and synths I guess.

I'd say your drums sound very bare for the most part, and really don't seem to take many liberties... but it's hard to say because I need to hear what kind of rhythm the guitar fills in.

But as a rule of thumb, treat your drums like an instrument instead of just something to keep the pace, and your music will sound much better overall... I like the fills you do eventually, though they are pretty basic as well. Also it seems like every hit of your drums is the same velocity... Vary up the velocity and release of your hits... Like when the gated instrument comes in after your synth runs... The highhats doing sixteenth notes are all the same velocity... You can change up velocity in notes to add emphasis to certain beats in a measure... It really helps.

Get creative with your drums.

About your synth run... Try some pitch bends, mess with some parameters such as mod wheel, etc... It's decently written, but I think it would sound much better if you did some more intimate programming.

It's kind of hard to comment with just drums and synths I guess.

I'd say your drums sound very bare for the most part, and really don't seem to take many liberties... but it's hard to say because I need to hear what kind of rhythm the guitar fills in.

But as a rule of thumb, treat your drums like an instrument instead of just something to keep the pace, and your music will sound much better overall... I like the fills you do eventually, though they are pretty basic as well. Also it seems like every hit of your drums is the same velocity... Vary up the velocity and release of your hits... Like when the gated instrument comes in after your synth runs... The highhats doing sixteenth notes are all the same velocity... You can change up velocity in notes to add emphasis to certain beats in a measure... It really helps.

Get creative with your drums.

About your synth run... Try some pitch bends, mess with some parameters such as mod wheel, etc... It's decently written, but I think it would sound much better if you did some more intimate programming.

EDIT: I changed the velocity in certain places for the drums, and I added a pan/speaker shift effect to the synth hi-hats during the "bridge."

I couldn't think of anything else to do for the synth solo though. Could you possibly give examples of what "stuff" I should use on it?

Thanks again, I will post the updated version once I get a guitar recorded.