Free Comic Book Day is this Saturday

DarkeSword

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

"Free Comic Book Day is a single day - the first Saturday in May each year - when participating comic book shops across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely FREE* to anyone who comes into their stores. *Check with your local shop for their participation and rules."

Make sure you guys go! Usually stores will let you take home 2-3 different comics, and there are always some fun titles out, like Atomic Robo. Sometimes you can even get some little figurines or pins.

I'm gonna grab War of the Supermen and Atomic Robo, and maybe Irredeemable.

They're not alternate reality.

Wait, isn't the point of the six-issue story to cover Bruce Wayne as he lives his life over and over in different points of time until he (somehow magically) gets back to modern day Gotham? How is that not alternate realities? You know, Darkseid, Omega Beam, alternate realities over and over...

EDIT: No, wait. Wikipedia's article on the story arc says he's time-traveling... somehow. It doesn't say.

Stuff like this is why comics are hard to get into sometimes. There's a point where suspension of disbelieve just doesn't work anymore.

Wait, isn't the point of the six-issue story to cover Bruce Wayne as he lives his life over and over in different points of time until he (somehow magically) gets back to modern day Gotham? How is that not alternate realities? You know, Darkseid, Omega Beam, alternate realities over and over...

EDIT: No, wait. Wikipedia's article on the story arc says he's time-traveling... somehow. It doesn't say.

Stuff like this is why comics are hard to get into sometimes. There's a point where suspension of disbelieve just doesn't work anymore.

They're not alternate realities because he is actually in one universe, just at different times.

And it's only difficult because you have no context. To understand the current state of the Batman franchise, you need to read (or find summaries/explanations of) all of Grant Morrison's Batman work from the past couple of years, Final Crisis, parts of Infinite Crisis and 52, and some of his Seven Soldiers of Victory books (which provide more clues as to what the Omega Sanction actually is).

Return of Bruce Wayne is not really a good "jumping on" point. If you're interested in reading Batman, you're better off waiting until that story is completed and Grant Morrison starts the next chapter in his work on Batman. That's probably around the beginning of next year.

DC franchises with good "jump on" points are Green Lantern (GL, GL Corps, Emerald Warriors, Brightest Day), Flash (which is just one title right now), Superman (in June, after War of the Supermen, lots of titles), and Wonder Woman (new writer taking over in June, I believe; one title).

Local news media was at Source when we were there. A full Ghostbusters mobile and set of Ghostbusters in addition to around 6 professional costumed people wandering around including Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, and the girl from Watchmen.

Free soda and snack food provided in addition to all of the freebies. Two bags are given out, one for kids and one for adults. Addie always grabs the kiddie bag (she likes the Simpsons comic), while I get the adult bag to make sure we get everything.

Had an awesome time out, and I hope everyone else enjoyed FCBD as much as we did!

Bardic's haul:

Bag 1:

Simpson's Bongo FCBD comic

Overstreet Guide to Collecting Comics

G.I.JOE

Fractured Fables

YOW! FCBD Grab-Bag comic

Atomic Robo

War of the Supermen #0

Green Hornet

Doctor Solar: Man of the Atom / Magnus: Robot Fighter

Iron Man / Thor

Batman action figurine (looks like a Warhammer40K size / base)

Bag 2:

Most of the above plus:

Plastic ring :P

Storm Lion #0

Overstreet guide

Classic comic strip Action & Adventure -- Dick Tracy and others on the cover

Incorruptible

Artifacts #0

The Tick FCBD

Radical -- previews of Driver for the Dead, The Rising, After Dark, and Time Bomb

Love and Capes

Fearless Dawn #1

Oni Press Free for all

Weathercraft

Worlds of Aspen 2010 Preview

The Sixth Gun

Del Rey Showcase FCBD

I grabbed Atomic Robo and Mouse Guard. They also were clearing out their manga for $3 each, so I grabbed the two copies of Blame Vol. 6 which were mysteriously in the box and not being sold on ebay (out of print, potentially sells for a helluva lot).

I hear you on that, sometimes I like to attempt to read random wiki articles on some particular superhero and see how far I can get before I am a hit by a massive WAT.

I find the bulk of manga to be horrendously obnoxious, but I do think there's something to be said for the Japanese "one author/artist" method of comic production, especially those that tell their story and then end. I definitely prefer single-volume stuff when it comes to graphic novels, something with a nice, neat, thought-out, self-contained story.

And it's only difficult because you have no context. To understand the current state of the Batman franchise, you need to read (or find summaries/explanations of) all of Grant Morrison's Batman work from the past couple of years, Final Crisis, parts of Infinite Crisis and 52, and some of his Seven Soldiers of Victory books (which provide more clues as to what the Omega Sanction actually is).

I think this is a pretty accurate description of the problem with getting into superhero comics :smile: