resolute - megaman zero 4

melody

sup,

here's a more groove-oriented interpretation of megaman zero 4's beautiful title song (and in my opinion luna umegaki's best work). the arrangement is mostly on the finished side, but i cut off the second half for this wip since it isn't fully fleshed out yet and i could use production pointers. the real ending isn't a fadeout ;)

edit 12/10: stats.png

original:

sup,

here's a more groove-oriented interpretation of megaman zero 4's beautiful title song (and in my opinion luna umegaki's best work). the arrangement is mostly on the finished side, but i cut off the second half for this wip since it isn't fully fleshed out yet and i could use production pointers. the real ending isn't a fadeout ;)

stats.png

original:

There's a very bad frequency somewhere in that intro. I recommend an EQ. I think it's a bit too thick in the middle.

The piano needs to be more upfront. It also needs to be humanized a bit better. It gets a little muddled when there are other leads playing alongside. Try panning the piano to one side and the other lead to the other side.

Neblix pretty much nailed it, there's something going wrong with your synth intro and it sounds like all the notes are bleeding into each other pretty badly. In addition, your piano does tend to get lost, though the delayed/panned stuff sounds awesome :-) I disagree that it needs more humanization - for the kind of music you're making, the way you sequenced the piano sounds perfect. It just needs to be a bit more audible.

In general, this WIP sounds pretty tight, especially when that lead synth comes in full-force. Work on some of your EQ'ing with the synths and I think you've got something that could be very submittable ;-)

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

• 2 weeks later...

The arrangement in this mix is too conservative; you should work to manipulate the source more, since currently the structure is essentially the same.

Some important things to watch out for based on the current WIP are:

-Textural monotony: the same set of instruments play in every section and in the same roles (i.e. piano always playing melody.) Notice how in sections of the original such as 0:21 the guitar lead drops out and is replaced by strings + crystal-pad(or w/e) for variety. In your mix the piano plays the melody in both corresponding sections.

-Using the piano for melody: the piano has a rather transparent sound, and doesn't always fit well as lead; I think a more dominant synth sound would be better suited here.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...