OC ReMix Discovery

TMF128

Huh, I cant remember being the culprit, Roz.

Though... must be the goldfish memory.

Back in 2004 or something, a classmate of mine suggested that I'd check this site, knowing that I like VG music.

Before that I remember using Kazaa (yeah, I know...) for finding random VG music remixes, so I guess discovering this site was a reasonably good idea.

I heard from ocremix via my youtube subscribers back in 2007 or something telling me to submit remixes here. I went on ocremix and looked up tal tal heights and listened to clash at the mountain by zircon, and was impressed with what I heard. The next ocremixer I found was bLiNd and I sat there thinking "THIS is the quality of music you need to pass on the site? fuck that"

Of course, I released they, along with a set of others, set the standard that everyone else on the site aspired by, thought it might not be impossible to get posted, and submitted a castlevania remix. It got harsh critique and rejected. So yeah... I've made it goal to get posted on ocr and become a well known mixer on the site as a means of improving myself as the standard is so high compared to the general publics view, who are happy with a bad midi rip sometimes.

I found out about OCReMix when I was looking for guitar tabs for various themes from FFVII (yeah, hate me). I came across a review for Voices of the Lifestream, went to the VotL site, downloaded the whole thing, listened to it, came to OCR and fell in love with the music.

I've found that, as my taste in music changes, I can always find something to my tastes here.

I discovered the site while hunting for sites that dedicated themselves to remixing videogame music in 2005 (no joke). However, the very first track I ever heard from this site was Zelda by System of a Down (... fucking Napster...), followed shortly by Djp's Bubble Bobble remix. Loved them both, but didn't find out where they came from until 2005.

My brother had downloaded a lot of music from this site back when he still cared about downloading game music, and I just kinda naturally gravitated towards it from there.

Ever since I was little I was learning how to play game songs on the piano (I was so proud of myself when I figured out the OoT songs), so this type of stuff naturally attracted me.

The early mixes I always listened to were the 'classic' stuff- Eutopia Pegasi, AmIEvil's stuff, Terra Black Crystal (I think), as well as a good helping of McVaffe.

I found my way here years back when searching on Kazaa for some random game music I came across "Another Inspiration" which at the time wasn't tagged either. After sharing it with a friend whom I also made on Kazaa a few days prior, he directed me this way. Been listening ever since, though only interacting a bit on the forums here in there I've enjoyed myself here since the day he dropped the link in my msn box.

I was probably inspired by Axes Denied and the Precursors project to find out more about video game music covers and remixes. I read somewhere that OCR is full of elitist bastards and I actually stayed away from the place for a while. :roll:

At the same time I wondered why so many of the mixes I downloaded from VGMix were so substandard. This is much more my kind of place. I guess I'm an elitist bastard myself!

--Eino