Sonic 3 - (Ice Cap Zone)

TMF128

Here is another work-in-progress out of the 7 unfinished projects.

This one is Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3 (it doesn't have a "nickname" yet.)

The only thing missing is the main melody, but I will record that as a guitar riff (I can't do it until I get the recording device I need.) Otherwise, I have all the synth stuff down.

stats.png

Sound choices are really generic, and it overall sounds like a techno eurodance cover of Ice Cap Zone.

The arrangement is very repetitive, I recommend some breakdowns.

Also, the transitions between parts aren't that great (because there are none).

Keep going, if you want this to sound 90's techno then you're going in the right direction, but right now it just sounds like a cover looped 5 times. Make it more expansive, add breakdowns, fills, etc. listen to techno remixes on this website or look on youtube for eurodance songs. They might be repetitive as well, but I'm sure some have more expansive arrangements than others.

I fixed it up, and added a little bit of "changes" to make it seem less repetitive.

While it still is based off of the only two melodies from the original song, I changed the beat here and there, and added in a synth solo.

EDIT: The "chorus-es" and the very first part stayed the same, but all of the other parts have something different to them.

As usual, I still don't have the main melody in yet, since I have nothing to record guitar with. That is the reason why the majority of my remixes are unfinished, but I won't settle with not having one (most of the time.) Even if this is techno, I feel that using a guitar as a lead instrument adds my own personal touch.

stats.png

I fixed it up, and added a little bit of "changes" to make it seem less repetitive.

While it still is based off of the only two melodies from the original song, I changed the beat here and there, and added in a synth solo.

EDIT: The "chorus-es" and the very first part stayed the same, but all of the other parts have something different to them.

As usual, I still don't have the main melody in yet, since I have nothing to record guitar with. That is the reason why the majority of my remixes are unfinished, but I won't settle with not having one (most of the time.) Even if this is techno, I feel that using a guitar as a lead instrument adds my own personal touch.

stats.png

Even if they have something different, it still sounds the same as a whole section.

And about transitions, there are still none. There aren't any interesting drums, either.

It's just straight up 1 2 3 4.

It quickly becomes uninteresting, there's not enough material to justify the length. This can be shortened by maybe a minute without losing its touch.

Even if they have something different, it still sounds the same as a whole section.

And about transitions, there are still none. There aren't any interesting drums, either.

It's just straight up 1 2 3 4.

It quickly becomes uninteresting, there's not enough material to justify the length. This can be shortened by maybe a minute without losing its touch.

I don't have any other ideas though, so I guess I will just shorten it.

EDIT: I moved the solo to another part of the song, and shortened the second chorus.

I might add in a guitar solo later on.

This is always a great source, but i think there's a few things you can do to make it a little more interesting. One, make the bass drum a little more powerful. Whether its through EQ or just a little more volume even. Then ABSOLUTELY add some more fills and extra bass kick hits in there to make it a bit more interesting. Second, maybe change up the bass line. Have an almost walking bass line during the parts where its just the drums going 1 2 3 4 and that synth gate plaing the those same 3 chords over. The solo is cool, but i think think it needs a nice breakdown somewhere in the middle there. Maybe some descending chords based on the the 3 chords used in the source. Then add another solo. Definitely a guitar solo would be cool after the breakdown.

If you need a live guitar solo, i can always do it for you. That's only if you can't play guitar. :D

This is always a great source, but i think there's a few things you can do to make it a little more interesting. One, make the bass drum a little more powerful. Whether its through EQ or just a little more volume even. Then ABSOLUTELY add some more fills and extra bass kick hits in there to make it a bit more interesting. Second, maybe change up the bass line. Have an almost walking bass line during the parts where its just the drums going 1 2 3 4 and that synth gate plaing the those same 3 chords over. The solo is cool, but i think think it needs a nice breakdown somewhere in the middle there. Maybe some descending chords based on the the 3 chords used in the source. Then add another solo. Definitely a guitar solo would be cool after the breakdown.

If you need a live guitar solo, i can always do it for you. That's only if you can't play guitar. :D

Thanks for the tips. I already got to EQ'ing the drums.

I couldn't think of a way to change the bassline in the intro, but I honestly think it sounds good enough right now.

Also, I moved the solo to another part of the song. The guitar solo will be right after it.

I will be doing all the guitar parts myself, I am just getting cash for a Line 6 POD XT Live to record it with.

I will edit the update into this post in a few minutes.

Thanks for all of the help. Techno/electronic isn't really my prominent genre (I don't even listen to it that much,) and I am trying to learn more about it.

Ya know what man, as long as your happy with it, all the more power to ya. I've got a Line 6 UX2, which is kinda the same thing. Its all a usb interface which is cool for recording guitars for cheap. I only spent $99 on mine and it was worth every penny for what i've gotten out of it. :D I would still consider some other kinda bsss line, or at least at the end of every 4 or 8 measures add a little ascending scale or something along those lines.

Good luck man.

Ya know what man, as long as your happy with it, all the more power to ya. I've got a Line 6 UX2, which is kinda the same thing. Its all a usb interface which is cool for recording guitars for cheap. I only spent $99 on mine and it was worth every penny for what i've gotten out of it. :D I would still consider some other kinda bsss line, or at least at the end of every 4 or 8 measures add a little ascending scale or something along those lines.

Good luck man.

Alright, I guess I will try something for the bassline then.

EDIT: I changed the bassline up a little bit, fixed a small part of the solo, and added a fill in one part.

I noticed some more parts I should make changes to, but I don't feel like reuploading.

DOUBLE-EDIT: I thought of a name for it "Iced Wasteland"

stats.png

Sound choices are really generic, and it overall sounds like a techno eurodance cover of Ice Cap Zone.

The arrangement is very repetitive, I recommend some breakdowns.

Also, the transitions between parts aren't that great (because there are none).

Keep going, if you want this to sound 90's techno then you're going in the right direction, but right now it just sounds like a cover looped 5 times. Make it more expansive, add breakdowns, fills, etc. listen to techno remixes on this website or look on youtube for eurodance songs. They might be repetitive as well, but I'm sure some have more expansive arrangements than others.

^^^^^ agreed. Moreover there's some mega clipping. Reduce the volume of all of your samples by a bit -especially the kick - and throw on a master limiter. I think there's some free ones on the net. So yeah, this isn't terrible, it's got some good groove and stuff, it's just really overpowered by the kick and the EQ is kinda muddy.

Composition wise, a breakdown or two would indeed help a lot. And...what's with the wind at the ending?? Maybe make the wind a part of the intro so it feels a bit more cohesive. Also, some bell-ish samples would definitely help give it an icy feeling =p

^^^^^ agreed. Moreover there's some mega clipping. Reduce the volume of all of your samples by a bit -especially the kick - and throw on a master limiter. I think there's some free ones on the net. So yeah, this isn't terrible, it's got some good groove and stuff, it's just really overpowered by the kick and the EQ is kinda muddy.

Composition wise, a breakdown or two would indeed help a lot. And...what's with the wind at the ending?? Maybe make the wind a part of the intro so it feels a bit more cohesive. Also, some bell-ish samples would definitely help give it an icy feeling =p

Sorry, but can you give me an example song with a breakdown in it? I really don't know techno/electronic that well, the only breakdowns I know are metal/rock BD's.

I EQ'd the kick to make it a bit less "overpowering." I also lowered the master volume a bit, but I still need to check out the filters.

As for the other guy, I am aware this is remixed often, but I just made this because I felt like it.

I was also thinking of making a hardcore punk version of this song, but this ended up turning out decent, so I should probably stick with it.

Sorry, but can you give me an example song with a breakdown in it?

Perfect example and a good song in general: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_3LnLPQ6-Q

Breakdown starts at about 2:30.

I EQ'd the kick to make it a bit less "overpowering." I also lowered the master volume a bit, but I still need to check out the filters.

GVST has a lot of free effects. They may not be the most sophisticated, but they get the job done pretty good. http://www.gvst.co.uk/